Bad: Good Samaritan Killed Trying to Help Carjacking Victim.

This is a discussion on Bad: Good Samaritan Killed Trying to Help Carjacking Victim. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The only good to come of it was that he was successful in preventing the carjacking and the original victim wasn't injured. Sylmar teen shot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The only good to come of it was that he was successful in preventing the carjacking and the original victim wasn't injured.

Sylmar teen shot to death after stopping carjacking - LA Daily News

PACOIMA - An 18-year-old was shot to death Sunday morning after trying to help a motorist and stop a carjacking, police said.

Javier Villareal of Sylmar was shot multiple times at 1:05 a.m. and died at the scene of the attack in the 11000 block of El Dorado Avenue, said Sgt. Gil Serafin, Los Angeles Police Department's Foothill Division.

Serafin said Villareal saw the three men involved in the carjacking and ran over, armed with a gun, to intervene. Villareal's gun caught the attention of the men, and one opened fire on the teen. Villareal fell to the ground.

The men, believed to be in a gang, did not pursue the carjacking any further and fled away in their car.

The motorist involved in the carjacking was not injured, Serafin said.

He should be hailed a hero! Too many people do not get involved because of many unpleasant outcomes. This one is the worst.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    I thought it was illegal to carry a hand gun in LA? These car jackers were obviously breaking the law.

Just goes to show again and again how dumb it is to prevent respectable people from being able to protect themselves.

My heart goes out to the family and in my book this young man is a true hero.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

I hope they skin the BG's for this one. Good for the kid!! Unfortunately it ended badly. Still, a hero's parade for this young man is in order.
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

jfl
    More guts than brains; getting killed because of poor tactics is not enough to be a hero in my book. "Don't die for your country, help the ******* on the other side die for his" (can't remember who said this)

Very sad nevertheless ... hope the BG rot in hell.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

So many of the comments on the link are trying to blame this incident on the police and making derogatory comments about the police that I had to quit reading. When are people going to realize that it's not the police's fault that they can't be there as a crime is taking place. We have to take responsibility for our own survival and defense. I won't even speculate why the 18 yr. old kid had a firearm and whether he was legal with it or not. It appears that he tried to do something to stop a crime and I sympathize with his family.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Not even sure what to say on this one. Obviously, whatever tactics he used or didn't use, didn't work in his favor. Hate to hear that happened to him when he was trying to help.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    More guts than brains; getting killed because of poor tactics is not enough to be a hero in my book. "Don't die for your country, help the ******* on the other side die for his" (can't remember who said this)

Ditto...by the way, it was Patton.

The kid won the battle..but lost the war.

Rick

Can you detail the poor tactics for us please?

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by concealed View Post
    Can you detail the poor tactics for us please?
    Running over with a gun in your hand is not good tactics...at all. It's a good way to get shot though. He assumed the BGs weren't armed...and he lost.

Rick

Gen. George S. Patton
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other ******* die for his"

sounds like he made 2 errors: advertising he was armed, thus giving the BGs warning and time to act instead of react; and not using any cover when he advanced on the BGs. I've stopped a couple ugly situations by staying behind cover and letting the BGs know the police were on the way. Staying behind cover meant they didn't know just what they were dealing with and they were exposed while I was covered.

He also engaged multiple assailants committing a forcible felony from what can only be assumed to be no cover whatsoever. If someone is willing to do a felony of that degree, than you must assume the are willing to do whatever it takes to get away, too... this includes you if you get in the way.

cvhoss,

The comments are clearly out of line, but I'm not inclined to be sympathetic toward the LAPD. They aren't as bad as NYPD or CPD but not for lack of trying: LAX vehicle search yields cache of guns, ammunition - Los Angeles Times

I've got a whole lot more stories of lawful firearms owners being intimidated, harassed and arrested without legal justification.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    So many of the comments on the link are trying to blame this incident on the police and making derogatory comments about the police that I had to quit reading. When are people going to realize that it's not the police's fault that they can't be there as a crime is taking place. We have to take responsibility for our own survival and defense. I won't even speculate why the 18 yr. old kid had a firearm and whether he was legal with it or not. It appears that he tried to do something to stop a crime and I sympathize with his family.

Hoss
    I didn't see anyone blaming the police. That'd the point of concealed carry, we know the police are not going to save us, (God bless them if they do) so we have to be prepared to save ourselves. Taking guns from responsible citizens just makes it harder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links