The problem with lists.... BAD

This is a discussion on The problem with lists.... BAD within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; One wonders if it's only a matter of time before "other lists" are used as shopping lists for home invaders. How about a list of ...

One wonders if it's only a matter of time before "other lists" are used as shopping lists for home invaders. How about a list of people who have prescriptions to oxycontin?

Couple On Medical Marijuana List Robbed - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver

Couple On Medical Marijuana List Robbed
    Fort Collins Police Say Robbers Demanded Drugs

POSTED: 11:07 am MST January 12, 2009

FORT COLLINS, Colo. -- Fort Collins police are investigating a home invasion robbery of a couple on the medical marijuana registry list.

The victims, who live on Big Dipper Dr., told police two men wearing dark hoodies and ski masks knocked on the door and forced their way into the home at gunpoint. The robbers demanded drugs.

Police said when it appeared they were not going to get any drugs, the robbers stole electronics, cash and wallets and fled the area.

The case is under investigation.
    Technically this isn't a self defense article, but since many people on here are always thinking about ways to lower exposure and understand the MO of bad guys, I found this quite interesting. The Medical Marijuana list is private, protected by federal HIPAA regulations. Just like those gun-ownership lists, and prescription drug lists, and who-knows-what-other-lists.

Short Version: The drugs you are prescribed may result in your being targetted.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    I'm luckily hale and hearty enough that I'm not using anything, but thats still some food for thought. I wonder if the BG's got the list, or had simply found out about the couple through observation/gossip.

Now I'm trying to think of any lists I might be on....other than the "kooky libertarian survivalist" one, of course
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

People really are pretty desperate... and for weed? Why?

It begs the question: If the Medical Marijuana List is HIPPA protected, how did the BG's know, or was it random? Since they asked for drugs, that might, but not necessarily, rule out a random crime, but I'm not a gambler.

How did the news station know? Homeowners tell them? Someone else?

Duh!

If there's a HIPPA violation, IIRC there is a big penalty.

Nice post, BlackPR. I'd seen this, I just hadn't taken the next step.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    It begs the question: If the Medical Marijuana List is HIPPA protected, how did the BG's know, or was it random? Since they asked for drugs, that might, but not necessarily, rule out a random crime, but I'm not a gambler.

How did the news station know? Homeowners tell them? Someone else?

Duh!

If there's a HIPPA violation, IIRC there is a big penalty.

Nice post, BlackPR. I'd seen this, I just hadn't taken the next step.
    My initial take was that the BGs probably knew the victims... either directly or through an associate. But I'll have to follow this story to see. Either way, in a real breakdown of civil order, all our various databases could become nice shopping lists. Need a list of homes that have purchased 5kw generators? Home depot can sell you a list, just slip a $20 to the pimply-faced kid running their computer.

As of february '07, the feds had only prosecuted four instances of Criminal HIPAA violation. Usually the "punishments" fall to unintential (rather than criminal) violations and are more administrative or fines for companies or such.

For the record, they would be subject to $250,000 fine and 10 years in prison for the HIPAA violation -- as would the person who provided the information, if they didn't somehow get it directly.
    Last edited by BlackPR; January 12th, 2009 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Added info
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

So, uh, the "list" we are on, (i.e. NRA, USCAA, and CC) would that mean we could be targets because we have weapons? Is so, bring it on!! heh heh heh
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiWeiSz View Post
    So, uh, the "list" we are on, (i.e. NRA, USCAA, and CC) would that mean we could be targets because we have weapons? Is so, bring it on!! heh heh heh
    I know that was a bit tongue in cheek, but guns are very frequently the target of burglars. Lotso folks here are concerned about that.

Unfortunately, HIPPA does little to curtail the crimes it was enacted to prevent while adding huge amounts of red tape to medical institutions.

Most HIPPA violations involve employees at health centers getting their jollies by spying on the medical records of locally or nationally well known people.

In other words, annoying and frustrating for the patients and their families, but not nearly as devastating as what could be done with that information (and probably will be done by people more devious than simple e-peepers).

Ryan

VIP Member
    You left out dc.com. A good hacker could trace you back with little trouble.

True enough. I know that all too well. That's why we should always carry - even in the "safety" of our home.
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

True enough. I know that all too well. That's why we should always carry - even in the "safety" of our home.
    true, i am right now.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Links