Bad: Shootout on highway

This is a discussion on Bad: Shootout on highway within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am staying in Albany, for a few weeks and this was 10 min from where I am staying at! Man who fired shots on ...

I am staying in Albany, for a few weeks and this was 10 min from where I am staying at!

Man who fired shots on NY highway unlikely to live
    The Associated Press
    Updated: 01/12/2009 0424 PM EST

EAST GREENBUSH, N.Y.A 22-year-old man who fired at least 28 shots at state police on a highway outside Albany remained in critical condition Monday, and police did not expect him to survive.
    Darrel Brown was the sole passenger in a taxi he hired to take him from Hartford, Conn., to the Albany area, police said.

The cab was stopped for speeding on Interstate 90 near East Greenbush late Saturday afternoon. Brown opened fire with a semiautomatic assault rifle on the trooper, who was interviewing the driver and Brown.

After the trooper got himself and the driver to safety, more police came and Brown was shot multiple times.

The taxi, two trooper vehicles and two bystanders' vehicles were struck by bullets, but no officers or bystanders were hit. The highway was closed for nearly eight hours as police investigated.

Maj. William Sprague of New York State Police Troop G said Brown had been arrested before, but he wouldn't provide details. Police are working with authorities in Hartford.

Police are also still working to determine why Brown was coming to the Albany area and whether he legally owned the weapon, Sprague said.

Sprague said Brown ignored attempts by police to communicate with him during the shooting, but at one point shouted at police, "Shoot me! Kill me!"

Brown was taken to Albany Medical Center Hospital where he was comatose Monday afternoon

His wish was their command!

Well, hopefully this won't be a long drawn out tax-paid stay in the hospital. Pine boxes are much cheaper
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikGr7 View Post

Sprague said Brown ignored attempts by police to communicate with him during the shooting, but at one point shouted at police, "Shoot me! Kill me!"

Brown was taken to Albany Medical Center Hospital where he was comatose Monday afternoon
    They did their part, as of now all he has to do is die.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Transported a weapon across state lines to commit a felony. Sounds like he had a death wish and it was fulfilled. Not being from NY was wondering. Is it legal to bring a "assault rifle" into NY if it is not registered there?

VIP Member
    That is one long taxi ride from Hartford to Albany. Somehow I think the guy maybe didn't actually "hire" the driver. Can someone say, kidnap?

I'd like to hear the rest of this story. If it really was a taxi for hire, I wonder what the driver thought that long object in the rear seat was.

Something is in the water on the East Coast. Similar thing happened today in South Florida on the Turnpike. The highway was shut down for the whole day. Police action closes stretch of turnpike in Palm Beach County -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com. This guy died right away.
    NRA Member

"semiautomatic assault rifle"

Great...

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Transported a weapon across state lines to commit a felony. Sounds like he had a death wish and it was fulfilled. Not being from NY was wondering. Is it legal to bring a "assault rifle" into NY if it is not registered there?

Long guns go not have to be registered in upstate.....only that really messed up southern part of the state. I am sure it will catch up with the rest of the state sooner or later.

It's getting crazy out there, we've had two highway shootings (road rage incidents) in the last week...must be in the water everywhere!
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

They pulled him off life support last night around 8. He didn't make it. Seems they think the .308 to the head did him in.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    They pulled him off life support last night around 8. He didn't make it. Seems they think the .308 to the head did him in.
    That just warms the cockles of your heart, doesn't it?

Links