Local corner store robbed again - neighbors want neighborhood march

This is a discussion on Local corner store robbed again - neighbors want neighborhood march within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So a local corner store in a relatively posh historic district in Downtown Greensboro was robbed again tonight. Last time it was robbed (Nov. 9) ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Local corner store robbed again - neighbors want neighborhood march

Local corner store robbed again - neighbors want neighborhood march

So a local corner store in a relatively posh historic district in Downtown Greensboro was robbed again tonight.

Last time it was robbed (Nov. 9) the clerk was shot and killed.

Here is one of the responses (though pretty representative of the others) tonight from neighbors:

"I don't know about anybody else but I have had enough of this negative energy in the neighborhood. With everything that has been going on lately and all the "fear" that has risen from the behavior we have done nothing but create a "monster". It is time for us to collect ourselves and get this out of our area. We need to show these "monsters" that have invaded our space that they are not welcomed here. "This is our turf and you need to move out."

I am not an organizer and would appreciate some help on this. We need to have a "neighborhood night out" where we all come together and take a stance showing the "monsters" how strong we are and "you cannot invade our area" by being positive in thought and showing them "we not afraid of "your negative energy." I refuse to live afraid to be in my own neighborhood.

How about we have a candlelight walk about where we move in our own blocks, talking with our neighbors and maybe some police officers. We need to make a very strong statement against the crime that has been let into our space and not let this go any further.

This country is doomed

2. Remove Ads

"I don't know about anybody else but I have had enough of this negative energy in the neighborhood. With everything that has been going on lately and all the "fear" that has risen from the behavior we have done nothing but create a "monster". It is time for us to collect ourselves and get this out of our area. We need to show these "monsters" that have invaded our space that they are not welcomed here. "This is our turf and you need to move out."

I am not an organizer and would appreciate some help on this. We need to have a "neighborhood night out" where we all come together and take a stance showing the "monsters" how strong we are and "you cannot invade our area" by being positive in thought and showing them "we not afraid of "your negative energy." I refuse to live afraid to be in my own neighborhood.

How about we have a candlelight walk about where we move in our own blocks, talking with our neighbors and maybe some police officers. We need to make a very strong statement against the crime that has been let into our space and not let this go any further.
    I think Obamas available for about a week,seriously if I was the owner I'd set up a desk in the back with a trusty shotgun and sit there waiting til the next time,then when they were hosing down the blood that would send a message they would hear
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

... what?

I'm really concerned about how some people can actually function in life with absolutely zero sense of reality or logic. We're not talking about a sports team, we're talking about random criminals.

That's baaaaaaaad

kumba-freaking-yah.

Actually not a bad Idea. It would be a perfect time to set up a table and talk to people about the NRA and sign people up. Also talk to people about the positive effects of getting a gun and training as well of getting a CPL. If someone in your neighbor hood or if you know one bring a firearms trainer to talk to people. Expose the sheep to a real way to make a difference in crime.

I would bet that those candles would really scare the bad guys...
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Candles. That'll do it.

If everyone were armed and vigilant and trained ... that would go further.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Actually not a bad Idea. It would be a perfect time to set up a table and talk to people about the NRA and sign people up. Also talk to people about the positive effects of getting a gun and training as well of getting a CPL. If someone in your neighbor hood or if you know one bring a firearms trainer to talk to people. Expose the sheep to a real way to make a difference in crime.
    Good idea.

Raevan's got it right! Kinda reminds me of a buddy of mine who is now a part of an effective neighborhood watch program.

I'd say you have a who wants to be more than a but doesn't know how not to be a . You (we) can sit behind our computer monitors and mock the , or we can seize the opportunity to potentially do some good & strengthen our cause. Win their hearts and minds!

Self-righteous sheepdogs....
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

I'm sure the criminals will appreciate the gentle and thoughtful message the sheeple are sending:
    "My house is unoccupied. I am here milling about with the herd. You may burglarize my house now."
    Sorry, folks, I have no part of such foolishness; I house-sat when my best friend's father was buried, and a good thing: a double 12 across my arm convinced a car load of would-be thieves to get back in their car and depart.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by Martial Archer View Post
    You (we) can sit behind our computer monitors and mock the , or we can seize the opportunity ...
    Many comment and act. Better? Or worse?

So far as mockery is concerned, I try hard to identify as ineffectual those things that are ... to avoid them, and to help others avoid them. They serve little purpose. Raevan, though, has a good idea. Candle light, though, isn't really.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Many comment and act. Better? Or worse?

So far as mockery is concerned, I try hard to identify as ineffectual those things that are ... to avoid them, and to help others avoid them. They serve little purpose. Raevan, though, has a good idea. Candle light, though, isn't really.
    Of course the whole candlelight/ hold hands & sing Kumbiya is ineffectual. That was not my point. My point was, here is an individual that however misguided, is sick of what is going on in their neighborhood. They want to put a stop to crime & reclaim "their" streets. I believe the overwhelming majority of folks here feel the same way.

IMO, situations as described by the OP provide excellent opportunities to get folks who were previously uninvolved in their personal security/safety involved at some level. Hence my comment, "Raevan has it right". Far better IMO to show the way than to sit back & watch. Who knows, some of those poor lost, misguided may end up making the ulitmate personal commitment to their own safety & obtain a CWP (and thereby strengthen our cause).
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Administrator
    HA! I just read the title and had my response all thought out about how stupid "marchs" and "vigils" are... but low and behold thats what everybody is talking about already. Its good to know there are others out there with common sense.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I think if I were a criminal, I'd take it as a challenge almost. While the whole neighborhood is unoccupied by the marchers, burglarize thier homes. When they return home, burglarize the corner store again.

I like the hosing down the blood idea...dead criminals send a bigger message than any march.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links