Seminole teacher could lose job over loaded gun found at school

This is a discussion on Seminole teacher could lose job over loaded gun found at school within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by archer51 I never check for my wallet when I get in the car. When I dress in the morning I place it ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seminole teacher could lose job over loaded gun found at school

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I never check for my wallet when I get in the car. When I dress in the morning I place it in my pocket and it remains there until I get undressed at night. She knew where her purse was, she had placed it in the cart the night before, probably just like she does every school day. Nothing in the article shows she had any intent of taking it to school.
    I know - absolutely know - where my firearms are at all times.

She was negligent, pure and simple. I have no problem with the school district firing her for her stupidity.

If your job had a "no firearms" policy and you "accidentally" brought your gun to work and were caught, would it be unfair for them to fire you?

Of course not.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Matt,

My problem with them firing her is they already set a precedence by giving another teacher a 10 day suspension for the same offense.

Matthew Haynes, McGhee's attorney, said Vogel's recommendation to terminate her is unfair because he did not fire another teacher who brought a gun to school about the same time. Jon Diesbourg, a second-grade teacher at Forest City Elementary, was suspended for 10 days after a BB gun was found on the roof of his station wagon.
    If the rule says you fire someone for bringing a gun to school, you fire anyone who brings one to school. Are they going to go back to the first guy and say "We screwed up by only giving you a 10 day suspension. Pack the things in your desk, your fired now".

Did she screw up? Yes. Should she be disciplined? Yes. Since no one was injured in either case the same level of discipline should be handed out.

Yes, they set a precedent - but c'mon a BB gun and a .45 are hardly comparable.

Dude - the right to carry comes with the responsibility to care for it. I agree, firing is probably the best thing. Or at least allowing her to resign, so she can attempt to get a teaching job somewhere else. Early retirement? IDK

All I know is, she "dropped" her gun and keys - and didn't notice!!! Yikes. Good thing a little kid didn't find it, and started to play cops and robbers!!
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiWeiSz View Post
    Yes, they set a precedent - but c'mon a BB gun and a .45 are hardly comparable.

Dude - the right to carry comes with the responsibility to care for it. I agree, firing is probably the best thing. Or at least allowing her to resign, so she can attempt to get a teaching job somewhere else. Early retirement? IDK

All I know is, she "dropped" her gun and keys - and didn't notice!!! Yikes. Good thing a little kid didn't find it, and started to play cops and robbers!!
    True, a BB gun and .45 are not the same, but neither is a Cooper and a Humvee. But your going to get the same sentence for stealing a Cooper as you will for stealing a Humvee.

hehe Seminole County. Gotta love it. They'll fire a good teacher for a mistake but let folks live in treehouses. Sanford, a few miles west of Geneva.

You dont have to love it, but you should.

No Im not backing the teacher....Im not backing Seminole county either.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Matt,

My problem with them firing her is they already set a precedence by giving another teacher a 10 day suspension for the same offense.

If the rule says you fire someone for bringing a gun to school, you fire anyone who brings one to school. Are they going to go back to the first guy and say "We screwed up by only giving you a 10 day suspension. Pack the things in your desk, your fired now".

Did she screw up? Yes. Should she be disciplined? Yes. Since no one was injured in either case the same level of discipline should be handed out.
    If you make one rule without stipulations of severity, you have set a bad precedence for anything else, there must always be ladders/steps of severity for almost anything or were all in trouble. A BB gun is no where near as potent as a 357 and to compare the two as far as they set a precedences with this other teacher is just not right in my view. Should she be fired, I don't think so personally, disciplinary action yes, allow to resign as mentioned possibly, but not fired.

Just my view on it.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

More ammo for the anti's. I can hear them now. "If guns were outlawed she wouldn't have had one to forget where she placed it and put thousands of people in jeopardy". I don't think she should get fired for it considering her record. But I think some disciplinary action is reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    More ammo for the anti's. I can hear them now. "...put thousands of people in jeopardy"
    Yep, most guns can fire thousands of rounds over their service life, so thousands of people were in jeopardy. The anti's never do let irrationality stand in the way of an emotional anti-gun argument.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Lets see...guy takes a dump and drops his firearm, which goes off and kills the toilet (another thread). I just am left wondering what if her firearm went off when she dropped it and it hits a number of students standing at the door...curious if one's opinion would change then?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Lets see...guy takes a dump and drops his firearm, which goes off and kills the toilet (another thread). I just am left wondering what if her firearm went off when she dropped it and it hits a number of students standing at the door...curious if one's opinion would change then?

Rick
    Good point. The fact still remains that she was careless with her firearm.

TOF
    I expect there is no individual on this forum that has not at some point in their gun handeling career swept someone with a muzzle, loaded or not, or made some other dangerous mistake in handeling a weapon. Did this teacher commit a significant error? Yes. Should she be permanently deprived of her livelyhood as a result of an error which harmed no one? Should each of us have been permanently deprived of our livelyhood when we made our mistakes that harmed no one? I think not.

Some of you need to remove your self-righteous hats and take a look in the mirror. You might reach a more reasonable conclusion if you do so.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links