Bounty Hunter In Trouble???

This is a discussion on Bounty Hunter In Trouble??? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I think that this bounty hunter may be in trouble. Although we only have this newspaper account to go by, I don't know how you ...

Thread: Bounty Hunter In Trouble???

Bounty Hunter In Trouble???

I think that this bounty hunter may be in trouble. Although we only have this newspaper account to go by, I don't know how you would defend "accidently" shooting someone. What do you think?

Police probe Michigan bounty hunter shooting | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press
    "In a moment of crisis you will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training". http://www.FreedomTrainerTarget.com

2. Remove Ads

I say the bounty hunter is screwed
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

In some parts of this country, bounty hunters have too much authority. If they want to serve some kind of papers, they need to get LEO's involved. They have made mistakes in the past and busted into the wrong house. I have nothing to hide from, but if they kick my door down, they will be buried.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Never, ever, ever tell the police it was an accident!

If you can't honestly say, "I was in fear for my life, and I shot him" then make no statement whatsoever.

If the investigation reveals that there was justification for using deadly force at the time and your body reacted before your mind could wrap itself around the fact, you're probably okay. If you tell them the gun went off accidentally, you will be prosecuted and unless you are a cop who's department can shell out the big bucks, Mr. Ayoob isn't going to be there to explain the situation to the jury.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post
    Never, ever, ever tell the police it was an accident!

If you can't honestly say, "I was in fear for my life, and I shot him" then make no statement whatsoever.

If the investigation reveals that there was justification for using deadly force at the time and your body reacted before your mind could wrap itself around the fact, you're probably okay. If you tell them the gun went off accidentally, you will be prosecuted and unless you are a cop who's department can shell out the big bucks, Mr. Ayoob isn't going to be there to explain the situation to the jury.

Ryan
    I disagree. Make no statement at all. Just plain shut up. I'd give my name and inform the officer I'd be happy to answer any questions AFTER I've spoken with councel and ONLY with councel present.
    'The assailant chooses the time, location and method of attack.

Since they are unlikely to let you know ahead of time when, where and how violent they're going to be, you should always be prepared.' - matiki

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    There will be some problems there.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

The case has been referred to the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office for review.

No arrests have been made

This tells me that the officers at the scene had no probable cause to arrest the Bounty Hunter, So I don't the prosecutor will charge him.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Resisting arrest maybe?
    It's not like it's someone that didn't do anything wrong.
    They had a warrant for his arrest and he struggled, maybe for the gun, and he got shot. End of story.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Hmm. Went to arrest and a struggle ensued. Doesn't seem like the bounty hunter did anything wrong. As Patriotic Rick wrote: "It's not like it's someone that didn't do anything wrong."

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Accident == manslaughter. There is no affirmative defense to manslaughter.

Possible defense: If the shot was 'accidentally' fired in a struggle, the gun owner might not be held criminally responsible. If it was a struggle for the gun, then he most likely wouldn't be charged at all, I'd think.

But, agreed all around---the word 'accident' is a bad thing when somebody gets shot.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Links