Local talent

This is a discussion on Local talent within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In one of our local rags tonight: ST. JOHNSVILLE - Police say three youths who broke into a local factory made it virtually impossible for ...

Thread: Local talent

Local talent

In one of our local rags tonight:

ST. JOHNSVILLE - Police say three youths who broke into a local factory made it virtually impossible for the crimes to go unsolved. They posted pictures and videos of their exploits on Myspace and YouTube.
    The three boys ages - 12, 13, and 14 were charged with third-degree burglary and third degree criminal trespass. Two of the boys were additionally charged with graffiti making and fourth - degree criminal mischief.
    Officers said a foreman at the factory learned that the boys had entered the factory on two occasions. Police said that the boys used a digital camera to document the break-ins, which they then put on the Internet.
    One of the youths then posted the photos on his MySpace account, and several videos showing the crime were posted on YouTube. Police say they were then able to identify the boys from these postings.

Well if they don't make as criminals they can fall back on film-making.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Funny

Where is the worlds dumbest criminal reel? I used to go into abandoned mills and factories for picture ops but that was a fine art class not graffiti and post on you tube.

VIP Member
    Yep, I'm going to break the law and then post video's of me doing it on the internet.

Hopefully the judge, as part of their punishment, will make them remove all the graffiti with toothbrush sized wire brushes.

Nobody ever said criminals were smart and these guys are morons
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    That was good for a chuckle, thanks!
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Prankster emails students' tell-tale Facebook shots (MA)

As reported in my local paper the Daily Hampshire gazette:

Prankster emails students' tell-tale Facebook shots

By MARY CAREY
    Staff Writer

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

AMHERST - Amherst Regional High School administrators, parents and students are learning a real-time lesson about the Internet age.

Someone has copied - purportedly from the Facebook site - photos of ARHS students apparently drinking alcohol and emailed them to the principal and dozens of other people.

SUBMITTED PHOTO
    Amherst Regional High School students allegedly engage in underage drinking in this photograph submitted by prankster "John Doe." The Gazette obscured the students' faces to maintain their anonymity. This photo, and many like it, were gleaned by Doe from the Facebook.com Web site, and were sent to school officials in Amherst.

The photos depict groups of clean-cut, cheerful-looking young people with beer cans, bottles of alcohol and wine and, in one, a small plastic bag of what could be marijuana.

An anonymous sender calling him or herself "John Doe" claims to have copied them from the students' personal Web pages at the online "social networking" site Facebook. On Facebook, people can create Web pages, post photographs and videos, and connect with others from their schools, colleges, workplaces and other social circles.

The recently emailed pictures are "disturbing," Doe warns email recipients, and show students involved in "illegal activities."

Amherst police are aware of the situation, high school Principal Mark Jackson said in an email Tuesday. "I am not sure of what their next step is."

The principal called Facebook "a fickle friend," saying, "It can turn on you quickly and in ways that you don't anticipate." He added that athletes involved with alcohol "are subject to MIAA (Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association) sanctions."

Doe declined to reveal his or her identity in an email response to questions from the Gazette but claimed to be a female senior at the high school who has been treated badly in the past by some of the boys in the photos. Disseminating the photographs was supposed to be a joke and also something that "would bring controversy to the school like Max Carson," Doe writes, referring to a former student still remembered as having attracted attention for his controversial writings.

The photos were taken over about six months but most were from recent holiday parties. "I was at some of those parties but did not partake in the indulgences of weed and alcohol," Doe said.

"Those guys and girls think that they are above the law," Doe writes of the young people in the photos. "I do hate the guys because they did something to me, in the past, which was messed up and I will not say (I was embarrassed for a long time because of it). Some of those boys think that they are above the law."

Doe claims to be "good friends" with most of the people in the photographs and suggests that the action of disseminating the photographs will result in fewer people daring "to post pictures of themselves doing illegal things now."

Users of the free and widely popular social network service can opt to restrict access to content on their pages to prevent unwanted guests - from predators to potential employers - from seeing content they do not want to share. But it is common for users to grant access to people they have designated Facebook "friends."

Now, Doe claims, he or she is being harassed as a result of his or her actions. "People told me on Facebook they knew who I was. That they are going to track me down."

'Facebook is not your friend'

Amherst police did not return a phone call seeking confirmation that they are involved.

Jackson sent his own email Sunday to everyone who received the mailing, asking them not to "engage the topic" and assuring them that "administrators and the deans will handle the situation and reach out as necessary to students who are eligible for consequences."

To the students who received the anonymous email or were featured in the photographs, Jackson offered a piece of advice he said he had thought would have gotten old by now: "Facebook is not your friend."

"Kids are very mindful of the fun or upside of Facebook and the other social networking sites. I want them to be equally mindful of the risks that come with using it," he said in a subsequent email to the Gazette.

Asked for her opinion, Ruth Ever, youth and family education coordinator for the Northwestern district attorney's office, said high school students have gossiped about each other for years. The difference with the Internet is that it's easier to spread rumors.

"This is like instant broadcasting to hundreds of people in the school. It's just the magnitude of it and the speed which has changed."

The computer is not an inherently evil tool, Ever said. "But like any technology it has the potential to be misused or abused in some way that can hurt people. That's why it's so important that everybody, but especially young people who are just getting started using this technology and for whom it's going to be a big part of their lives, really understand the responsibilities it entails."

Still, Ever said, although the focus is on the sender who did something inappropriate, "We don't want to lose sight of the fact that what the story is about that these kids are apparently drinking."

Mary Carey can be reached at mary.carey@att.net.

The story can be found with pics of idiots at; Prankster emails students' tell-tale Facebook shots | GazetteNET

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I live in Jacksonville,and back in 1995,If I remember correctly,there were some tennagers who broke into some houses and caused thousands of dollars in damge.They used hammers,baseball bats,etc.,all the while video taping.To add insult to injury,one of the boys left a full handprint on the bath tile,enabling police to further identify.this was all before youtube,so all the evidence was found in their posession.All were convicted,ordered to repay damages,and sreved time.What a story for your grandchildren,eh?Hey!,kids!let me tell you what stooooopid is!

I live in Jacksonville,and back in 1995,If I remember correctly,there were some teenagers who broke into some houses and caused thousands of dollars in damge.They used hammers,baseball bats,etc.,all the while video taping.To add insult to injury,one of the boys left a full handprint on the bath tile,enabling police to further identify.this was all before youtube,so all the evidence was found in their posession.All were convicted,ordered to repay damages,and served time.What a story for your grandchildren,eh?Hey!,kids!let me tell you what stooooopid is!

Sorry for the misspelling.Trying to type(hunt and peck)too fast!

The only thing dumber they could have done is call the police themselves.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Links