Man who didn't realize he was shot in home invasion dies later

This is a discussion on Man who didn't realize he was shot in home invasion dies later within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 01/16/2009 - Belleville man who didn't realize he was shot in home invasion dies later - STLtoday.com Belleville man who didn't realize he was shot ...

Thread: Man who didn't realize he was shot in home invasion dies later

Man who didn't realize he was shot in home invasion dies later

01/16/2009 - Belleville man who didn't realize he was shot in home invasion dies later - STLtoday.com
    Belleville man who didn't realize he was shot in home invasion dies later
    By Robert Kelly
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    01/16/2009

BELLEVILLE Police said a man who refused medical treatment last week after not realizing he had been shot during a home invasion has died.

Investigators said Robert Bunn Sr., 69, was found dead Tuesday by his ex-wife in the home where he lived alone in the 900 block of West D Street in Belleville.

Five days earlier, he had been wounded in a holdup there.

Belleville police said Bunn was awakened about 1 a.m. Jan. 8 by an intruder who he said struck him in the face with what Bunn thought was a pipe, causing a small cut. Investigators say Bunn apparently didn't know he had been shot, and that the swelling may have sealed the bullet wound.
    The suspect fled, apparently taking with him items from Bunn's wallet and a drawer.

An autopsy revealed that Bunn had been shot with a small-caliber gun. St. Clair County Coroner Rick Stone, a former police detective, said it is not unusual for shooting victims not to realize they have been shot if any other injuries also are inflicted during a struggle.

The suspect ran from Bunn's house after the attack, police said. Bunn had described him to police only as a man wearing an "army style" coat with a hood.

Police said that shortly after the home invasion, paramedics were on the scene, but Bunn chose not to seek medical attention.

No arrests had been made by late Thursday.

Anyone with information is asked to call police at 618-234-1212 or CrimeStoppers at 866-371-8477.

2. Remove Ads

what was the cause of death? some people live a long time w/a bullet in them
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Administrator
    He didn't HEAR a Shot?
    Sorry but, something smells funny.
    It's kinda hard to get being hit with a pipe in the face mixed up with getting shot in the face.

The guy obviously lied to the Police & probably knew who invaded.
    Probably drug related...AKA Home getting invaded due to it being a known location where drugs or money could be found.

I felt when I got shot in the face, just like the man that got shot in the face. I have never been hit with a pipe or bat but if i can describe it that's what it felt.
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    He didn't HEAR a Shot?
    Sorry but, something smells funny.
    Ever taken a *really* hard blow to the head?

If you don't see a gun and you're shot up close, especially in the head, you're focusing on the immediate pain, shock and trauma. Head lacerations usually bleed profusely, but puncture-type wounds (such as from a mouse gun) can indeed seal up quickly.

I found out the hard way about head wounds. I ran into what was effectively a camouflaged 4" pipe (end on) and if my kid hadn't seen it, I never would have known what happened. Took a couple of dozen stitches to close me up and all I felt that afternoon and the next day was a dull headache. 200+ pounds moving at 5 mph is about 10x the kinetic energy of a mouse gun round... do the math.

Administrator
    OK I'll bite on that. Sounds plausible.
    Kinda funny though that he remembers what the guy was wearing and was obviously still awake, and conscious enough after he was shot and robbed to see/know that the guy ran from the house but, cannot recall a muzzle flash or the smell of powder or a gunshot report.
    But, I say OK...possible.

If a man swings what looks like a pipe at your face you will flinch, if the pipe was a Zip Gun you would not realize it wasn't just a pipe. They said that it was a small caliber. Really sounds like a Zip Gun to me. Could have been a small 22 with a homemade silencer as well. My neighbors son showed up with one and asked how much was it worth, I told him at least 10 years in the Pen and that he should get rid of it. Young people make all sorts of thing in school these days.

If I remember correctly Ronald Regan didnt realize that he was shot either.

Michael

Auditory exclusion is a common symptom of the adrenal stress response. There are numerous reports of people involved in shootings not hearing the actual gunshots or hearing only muffled gunshots. The case of Roy Vertigan comes to mind in that regard.

Ryan

Wish it said what caliber it was? .22 or .25 maybe

Links