GOOD: Armed Resident Defends Himself - Wellsville, KS

This is a discussion on GOOD: Armed Resident Defends Himself - Wellsville, KS within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Armed resident defends home against burglars A home intruder got more than he bargained for Thursday morning at a residence in rural Wellsville. Miami County ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GOOD: Armed Resident Defends Himself - Wellsville, KS

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

GOOD: Armed Resident Defends Himself - Wellsville, KS

Armed resident defends home against burglars

A home intruder got more than he bargained for Thursday morning at a residence in rural Wellsville.

Miami County Sheriff’s deputies responded to 37895 W. 239th St. after a resident reported hearing a break-in at his home, according to a sheriff’s office news release.

The lone resident hid in the closet on the second floor until he heard the suspect enter the room and open the closet door. The resident then declared he had a firearm, and the suspect fled the house, according to the release.

The suspect is described as a white male, 5 feet, 8 inches tall and weighing about 215 pounds. He was wearing a blue jacket, blue jeans and a ski mask.

The armed homeowner watched the suspect flee in a newer blue Chevrolet extended cab S-10 pickup truck, according to the release. Deputies searched the area but could not locate the vehicle.

A short time later, another resident in the area reported suspicious people at her home fitting the same appearance and vehicle description.

According to the release, the homeowner met them at her door and was asked if an unknown person lived there. When she told them “no,” they left.

Sheriff’s officers warn that this type of activity can also be a ploy of residential burglars. They knock on the door, and when nobody answers, they break in. If contacted at the door, they ask for a fictitious person.

Anyone with information on the incidents is encouraged to call the Miami County Sheriff’s Office at (913) 294-4444.
    Why would you hide in the closet and wait until the intruder opened the closet door before taking action? What if the intruder shot as soon as he opened the closet door?

If I heard someone downstairs in my home, they would know long before we came face to face that I am armed and willing to do what needs to be done.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

The resident decided to retreat. They should not have waited until the closet door was opened, however, unless we're talking a gigantic closet. If you are going to retreat to the bedroom, you must draw an imaginary line somewhere right outside or at the door across which shots will be fired, period.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I agree Paul, and that is similar to what I was trying to say.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

jfl
    Almost good ... it would be better if the BG had felt a reason to change career.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    It is not very clear if he called before he hid or after...regardless, in his mind, he was prepared to defend himself and was the least worried about his property.

Rick

Right or wrong, in my home, I'm heading for the problem with ill intentions. This would be a career changing event for the burglar. Closets are for coats and spare shotguns.

For me, he let the range close to much. In the same thought. He handled the situation the best way he was comfortable with. The important thing is he came out on top.
    Old Paratrooper
    Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una
    (Fortune or Misfortune is all the same to a man of stout heart)

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayfinder View Post
    For me, he let the range close to much. In the same thought. He handled the situation the best way he was comfortable with. The important thing is he came out on top.
    I agree here. That's letting the BG get to close, if your not willing to use your weapon until their on top of you, then you need to rethink your strategy a little.

I with King on this one to an extent, I'll head towards the problem to an extent, drawing the imaginary line as said here is that extent depending where I am in the house.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

VIP Member
    I have no problem with the homeowner retreating, but when the closet door opened it's the SHTF time for the BG.

Quote Originally Posted by kingdaddyoh View Post
    Right or wrong, in my home, I'm heading for the problem with ill intentions. This would be a career changing event for the burglar. Closets are for coats and spare shotguns.
    Like the way you think.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    The resident decided to retreat. They should not have waited until the closet door was opened, however, unless we're talking a gigantic closet. If you are going to retreat to the bedroom, you must draw an imaginary line somewhere right outside or at the door across which shots will be fired, period.
    Retreating to a closet and shutting the door is understandable but I think it creates problems.

I agree with the idea of the line drawn, but I also feel strongly that one must visually identify and validate the target before shooting. Shooting at a noise on the other side of a closed door isn't a good plan. That's the problem with being in the closet with the door shut. By the time one gets a visual on the target it may be too late, or the target too close.

It worked out OK this time, but it doesn't seem like a good plan was followed.

Our plan here isn't to go looking, but to take up arms and wait in a location that gives us the advantage while calling 911.

Fitch

Waiting in the closet and pretending nobody is home will guarantee that the closet door will be opened as they search your house. Even if you are going to retreat you need to announce that you are there, armed and have called the police if you want them to leave and not have a confrontation. Most burglars don't want to work in an occupied house. They really don't want to work in an house occupied by an armed resident, or under the time constraints of approaching police. Gotta get in a good cover and overwatch the bedroom door after that, not cower in the closet. I personally have looked in my home for where I would go to overwatch the safety of my family if someone was inside my house. Once they have heard my announcement if they enter my field of fire they are not retreating they are advancing. Anyone advancing on an armed home owner inside their home is an immediate deadly threat and will be stopped.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

The first announcement they will get in my house is the sound of gun fire We have no duty to retreat,and IIRC neither do Kansans,hiding in a closet and waiting til a door is open is looking to get overpowered and killed with your own gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Wow, a retreat is fine but waiting till the closet door is opened? Nope, not a good idea. This one could have been bad.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

I wish there was video,can you imagine burglar opening a closet door and running into a guy with a gun,I bet he had to throw his underwear away
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links