GOOD: 87 y/o Woman Defends Herself With A Handgun - Batesville, AR

This is a discussion on GOOD: 87 y/o Woman Defends Herself With A Handgun - Batesville, AR within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 87-year-old scares man | Batesville Daily Guard Altha Rider usually keeps a .38 pistol by her bedside. Thursday night, the 87-year-old woman was ready to ...

Thread: GOOD: 87 y/o Woman Defends Herself With A Handgun - Batesville, AR

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

87-year-old scares man | Batesville Daily Guard

Altha Rider usually keeps a .38 pistol by her bedside. Thursday night, the 87-year-old woman was ready to use it.

It wasn’t long after Rider went to bed Thursday night that someone tried to kick in the front door of her home at 65 Brushy Road, she told an officer, whom she met at the carport door with pistol in hand.

In a phone interview this morning, Rider told the Guard she is still a little shaken by the incident.

Rider said she had gone to bed around 9 p.m. with a light on in her den, and was awakened by the sound of her front door being kicked in around 10.

“When I heard the racket I screamed and then got up to see what happened,” Rider said. “I couldn’t see anyone, so I got up and went lookin’.”

Rider went looking with the .38 pistol that she keeps by her bedside for protection. She said she also has a .410 shotgun, but realized that would only give her one shot before she would have to reload.

According to Rider, the intruder had tried unsuccessfully to gain entry through a back door before going to the front of her home. The bottom half of the door was broken and splintered from the dead bolt down.

“He unlocked my storm door to get to the wood door,” Rider said. “But he didn’t get the door open — the door lock held.”

After not seeing anyone around her house, Rider said she called a family member, who then called police.

“They (police) were here right away and looked around, but they couldn’t find anybody,” Rider said.

The following day, an arrest was made and a missing person case was closed.

Police say Keith Eugene White, 31, of Batesville, reported missing since Nov. 25, 2008, was reportedly caught on McHue Road Friday morning.

This burglary occurred, police say, following the break-in attempt at Rider’s home.

According to Lt. Brenda Bittle, White was caught when deputies responded to a break-in on McHue Road.

“A key holder went to check on the house and found a door kicked in,” Bittle said. “When deputies arrived they searched the house and found White inside,” Bittle said.

“He had in his possession several items taken from other homes in the area Thursday night,” Bittle said.

White was arrested without incident and taken to jail, where he confessed to several burglaries and is a suspect in several more, Bittle said.

“He was out of prison on parole for burglary,” she said.

White is being held on a “no bond” parole hold pending formal charges.
    Good for granny.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

VIP Member
    Worked out for her, but she should have armed herself and then called 911 and stayed put.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Yup, I am thinking that an armed, elderly woman going looking for trouble in the middle of the night is not very likely to come out on top.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Yep, she should have called 911 first, but - note her mindset. This lady is EIGHTY-SEVEN years old, and spent close to three-quarters of her life with no 911 system to rely on. She was ready and prepared to deal with trouble HERSELF - that was her paradigm, her default operating system.

I just looked up Batesville, AR, and the population as of 2005 was under 10,000. This is a rural area by most anyone's definition, and although the article doesn't offer much info about Miz Rider, I'd say it's a fair bet she's been living in that area a good long time. My sense is that she's not some big-city girl who retired in the country. That she had a .410 shotgun around the house (good for shooing away those pesky bunnies and woodchucks that raid the garden) I think is even more evidence of that. I bet she lived most of her life handling life's difficulties on her own or with her family.

A lot of us here on DC have a greater sense of tactics and procedures by virtue of sufficient interest to even be reading this forum... but I applaud Miz Rider for her independent spirit and willingness to fend for herself.

Now, somebody buy that lady a cellphone with the local cops on speed dial - and a fresh box of ammo!

Links