GOOD: Man Defends Self and Girlfriend - Hammond, IN

This is a discussion on GOOD: Man Defends Self and Girlfriend - Hammond, IN within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police: Man shoots, kills suspect in Hammond robbery attempt / nwi.com HAMMOND | An attempted robbery early Sunday morning turned fatal for one of the ...

Thread: GOOD: Man Defends Self and Girlfriend - Hammond, IN

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

GOOD: Man Defends Self and Girlfriend - Hammond, IN

Police: Man shoots, kills suspect in Hammond robbery attempt / nwi.com

HAMMOND | An attempted robbery early Sunday morning turned fatal for one of the suspects, police said.

A 38-year-old man and his girlfriend were exiting their sport-utility vehicle in the parking lot of McTavern's bar in the 7400 block of Indianapolis Boulevard when two people attempted to rob the couple, according to a Hammond police news release.

Another person is believed to have been an accomplice in the attempted robbery, Police Chief Brian Miller said.

The owner of the vehicle took a handgun from the SUV and shot one of the suspects in the chest, the release states. The shooting victim died at the scene before Hammond Fire Department personnel could provide further treatment and he could get to a hospital.

Kenneth Denson, 17, of the 600 block of East 131st Street in Chicago, was pronounced dead from a gunshot wound to the chest about 1:30 a.m., a Lake County coroner's office spokeswoman said Sunday.

The second robbery suspect and an accomplice fled from the scene in a vehicle and traveled north on Indianapolis Boulevard into East Chicago, where they crashed and police apprehended them. Miller said an illegal narcotic drug was found in the vehicle.

Police said the investigation continues. The man who shot Denson has cooperated with police and has turned over his handgun.

Charges could be filed today against the other two suspects in custody, Miller said.

In September, a 40-year-old Gary man, Eric Lowe, was shot and killed outside of McTavern's following a dispute. Lowe was a security worker for the bar.
    Sounds like McTaverns is a place that decent hard-working people ought to avoid.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

More on the story here:

Police: Statements support self defense claim in fatal shooting / nwi.com

HAMMOND | Hammond police believe a man who shot and killed a would-be robber outside of a bar there early Sunday legitimately acted in self defense.

Hammond Police Chief Brian Miller said the 38-year-old Gary man was released after providing a statement to police about the incident.

"We do believe that his version of the story is true and credible," Miller said, adding that the man had a valid license to carry the weapon and purchased it legally.

Statements from witnesses to the attempted robbery and shooting assisted as well, he said.

"We had some outstanding participation by witnesses," Miller said.

The Gary man and his girlfriend were leaving their vehicle in the parking lot of McTavern's in the 7400 block of Indianapolis Boulevard early Sunday when two men approached them and tried to rob them, police said.

The Gary man took a handgun from his SUV and shot one of the suspects in the chest, who died at the scene.

Kenneth Denson, 17, of the 600 block of E. 131st Street in Chicago was pronounced dead at 1:30 a.m., a Lake County coroner's office spokesman said Sunday.

The second suspect and an accomplice fled the scene in a vehicle and traveled north on Indianapolis Boulevard in East Chicago, where they crashed the vehicle before police apprehended them. Miller said an illegal narcotic was found in the vehicle.

As of 1:30 p.m., Hammond detectives were meeting with the Lake County prosecutor's office seeking charges against a 20-year-old man involved in the robbery. Lake County investigators are assisting in investigating the shooting, Miller said, to determine whether or not it was a justifiable homicide.

Miller said the weapon has yet to be recovered but police believe the would-be robbers were armed at the time of the incident.

In September, a 40-year-old Gary man, Eric Lowe, was shot and killed outside of McTavern's following a dispute. Lowe was a security worker for the bar.

-- Times Staff Writers Lauri Harvey Keagle and Bowdeya Tweh contributed to this report.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

The man who shot Denson has cooperated with police and has turned over his handgun.
    Hope he's got a spare.

Agreed Grady.

- Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Police: Man shoots, kills suspect in Hammond robbery attempt / nwi.com

Sounds like McTaverns is a place that decent hard-working people ought to avoid.
    Actually the Hammond/Gary/East Chicago area in general is a good place to stay out of. I grew up in South Bend, IN, about 70 miles from the Hammond/Gary area. With the spill over from Chicago it has always been a very rough and dangerous area.

Of course one less scumbag there now.

Links