Another "Booger-hook on the Bang Switch" Malfunction

Another "Booger-hook on the Bang Switch" Malfunction

This is a discussion on Another "Booger-hook on the Bang Switch" Malfunction within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Another "Booger-hook on the Bang Switch" Malfunction to make us all look bad... Don't bother reading the comment section at the bottom of the site...unless ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another "Booger-hook on the Bang Switch" Malfunction

Thumbs down Another "Booger-hook on the Bang Switch" Malfunction

Another "Booger-hook on the Bang Switch" Malfunction to make us all look bad...
    Don't bother reading the comment section at the bottom of the site...unless you want to get annoyed even further...
    Man Accidentally Shoots, Kills 6-Year-Old Niece - Local News Story - WYFF Greenville
    Man Accidentally Shoots, Kills 6-Year-Old Niece
    Girl Killed When Uncle Tries To Make Gun Safe

POSTED: 2:15 pm EST January 16, 2009
    UPDATED: 12:55 am EST January 17, 2009

SPARTANBURG, S.C. -- A 6-year-old girl was killed Friday afternoon when her uncle tried to unload a gun to make it safe and it went off, fatally wounding the child, deputies said.

Spartanburg County deputies said that Madison Bonnie Lawrence, who lived with her grandmother in Woodruff, was visiting her uncle's home on Johnson Lake Road in Whitestone.

Investigators said the uncle took the .45-caliber handgun out from under a sofa and was unloading it because he was concerned about Madison's safety.

Deputies said that while the uncle was trying to unload the gun, it fired and struck Madison in the face.

Spartanburg Sheriff's Major Dan Johnson said, "The sad part about it, he was trying to make it safe for the child to play in the house."

Madison was transported to Spartanburg Regional Hospital, where she was pronounced dead at about 1:40 p.m.

Johnson said, "Our investigator and victim advocate, of course, has talked with the family and certainly (with) something this tragic, they're upset. It's very understandable with what they're faced with now."

Deputies said the Sheriff's Office is investigating the shooting, but said it appears to be accidental.

Spartanburg Sheriff's Major Dan Johnson said, "This is the worst kind of story the family would have to deal with -- to recognize the loss here of a 6-year-old child and a terrible tragedy."

Deputies said the shooting is a valuable lesson for anyone who handles a gun.

"Certainly any handgun or firearm at all should be treated as a loaded weapon. And not all people are experts with guns, and something like that -- you've got to be extremely careful anytime you're handling a gun."

Watch WYFF News 4 for more on this developing story.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

This is truly a sad story. Did the Uncle not know she was coming over, unload it before she gets there; or better yet don't store your gun under the couch.

I hope the girl didn't suffer.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I don't think either the girl being in the room at the time, nor the couch have anything to do with the issue. That's not to lessen the issue of the girl being shot, but quite frankly, it wouldn't have happened had he not been more vigilant. A gun doesn't go bang under a couch seat by itself, nor does it go bang while unloading by itself.

The issue is he managed to pull the flippin trigger while "disarming" it. It wasn't a malfunction. It wasn't an "accident". It was the only condition that can cause a firearm in hand to go bang. It was a malfunction of the human brain.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Of all the mistakes the worst one was that he had the gun pointed at her.

Quote Originally Posted by HKtexas View Post
    +1

Never point at anything you do not want to destroy... PERIOD! Prayers to the family.
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you really need it, you will need it really fast. ALWAYS one in the chamber.
    Nuf said!

Stories like that make me sick. I've got six kids, and while I'm emotionally prepared to accept the loss of a child (something you just have to go through after a doctor tells you that your son will die before he reaches the age of four), I could never forgive myself if I were the cause.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I don't think either the girl being in the room at the time, nor the couch have anything to do with the issue. That's not to lessen the issue of the girl being shot, but quite frankly, it wouldn't have happened had he not been more vigilant. A gun doesn't go bang under a couch seat by itself, nor does it go bang while unloading by itself.

The issue is he managed to pull the flippin trigger while "disarming" it. It wasn't a malfunction. It wasn't an "accident". It was the only condition that can cause a firearm in hand to go bang. It was a malfunction of the human brain.
    No arguments here, I was only implying that if he felt unloading it was the answer then do it before the reason for unloading arrived.

Yes, he messed up big, pointing it in her direction while unloading, having his finger on the trigger while unloading are both very bad things to do; and now he will have the rest of his life to think about it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Very sad. Everytime I load or unloaded , always keep handgun aim down.

Quote Originally Posted by HKtexas View Post
    Never violate one of the Basic safety rules. I agree with you here.

I am afraid that training may not have helped him. I think their are too many people out there that just simply don't have the matter between the ears to do what most of us would see as "basic safety".

Horrible story and I can only hope that those who have read it will handle firearms in a different way from now on!
    Pray for our nations leaders!

VIP Member
    Unfortunately you just can't fix stupid!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    unfortunately you just can't fix stupid!
    Amen brother

Truly a tragic, yet absolutely avoidable, situation
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Oh, there are just so many things wrong with that story I don't know where to begin

I hate to say it but if that were to happen to my son, I would probably end up in jail shortly afterwards. I am sure it will be a long time if ever, before the family overcomes this tragedy.

And we as a group wonder why the anti folks want more laws or other restrictions to firearm ownership. It is because of idiots like this guy. Thanks a lot moron.
    Last edited by farronwolf; January 20th, 2009 at 12:09 AM.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Another senseless death.

What is so hard about "Don't point at something you don't wish to destroy..and DON'T PULL THE <insert profanity> TRIGGER UNLESS YOU INTEND TO DESTROY SOMETHING!?"

---

I knew basic firearm safety before I was 10 years old.. I'm 17 now and I can't see how this could of happened other than the man must be a complete idiot.. I'm sorry.. but words can't describe my disgust.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    <tears and prayers>

And a baseball bat if I were within range.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links