Breaking News: Bush commutes 2 border agents (Merged)

This is a discussion on Breaking News: Bush commutes 2 border agents (Merged) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Maybe some one can put into a nut shell, why these guys were given the sentences they were. I've only read a little about it ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Breaking News: Bush commutes 2 border agents (Merged)

Maybe some one can put into a nut shell, why these guys were given the sentences they were.
    I've only read a little about it on a few conservative websites. I don't watch the news much, especially the major propaganda stations.

I did see what was said in the above post about covering up what they did, so apparently they didn't handle things just the way they were supposed to, but like I've also herd it said, some of those in authority were going way to far to "make an example of them".

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I'm glad they will be out also, but come on commute, not pardon, he pardoned drug dealers, fraud embezzlers and others, but for two guys doing their job, they only got a commute. What's up with that??
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Hopefully they will be able to get a book deal or something out of this whole ordeal. Too bad bushy thought the drug dealer they shot deserved a pardon while these guys get commuted sentences and felinous records so that they cannot defend themselves from the numerous threats that their families have had and continue to receive. I hope that they can earn enough money so that they could move further north and hire security to protect their family. But at least they will get to be with their family and not in solitary confinement for the next decade.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Maybe some one can put into a nut shell, why these guys were given the sentences they were.
    They were mandatory minimum sentences for the crimes they committed. It is a very good thing that we take any discretion from liberal judges, the same type that allowed a Vermont child molester to walk free. The people should determine the sentences for crimes against society, not a privileged lawyer wearing a robe.

President Bush is a hero yet again and demonstrates the checks and balances the Constitution provides.

God bless Ramos and Compean.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Better than nothing but, I would rather have seen them pardoned.
    Same thing that I was thinking. But at least they'll get out of jail, and there's always hope for a pardon later.

Sorry for not doing my homework, but what were the crimes they committed?

VIP Member
    This should give you an idea
    2 Border Patrol agents face 20 years in prison
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by rforgy View Post
    Monday, January 19, 2009
    President commutes border agents' sentences

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    In an earlier high-profile official act of forgiveness, Bush saved Vice President Dick Cheney's former chief of staff, I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby, from serving prison time in the case of the 2003 leak of CIA operative Valerie Plame's identity. Libby was convicted of perjury and obstructing justice. Bush could still grant him a full pardon, although Libby has not applied for one.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post

Ok, I now see some of the reasons that they were in the wrong, but really were they? We need to change our rules and regulations here. They can't pursue (no catch doesn't make sense), civil rights, here illegally, no civil rights in my view, picking up the shell casings, protecting the environment and that's wrong?

Our own HLS went after them with a vengence for some dang drug dealer here illegally and then we wonder why this country is going to heck in a hand basket.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

It was a good decision by Bush, could've been better and sooner, but still good.

I wish these two the best.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I was hoping for a pardon ! They deserved better !

Thank you, President Bush.

You did the right thing.

Now these men and their families can get on with their lives.

Ramos and Compeon's careers are completely wrecked, but at least they are out of prison.

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    They only had their sentences commuted, they DIDN'T get pardoned. They get out of jail, but they are now felons for the rest of their lives.....
    They should of been pardoned and their jobs restored...

Without the pardon, they can not even move, and find work.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links