Mont. EMT shot in back as leaving hospital

This is a discussion on Mont. EMT shot in back as leaving hospital within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Mont. EMT shot in back as leaving hospital GREAT FALLS, Mont. A Glasgow hospital official says the woman killed in a sniper-style shooting in ...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

GREAT FALLS, Mont. A Glasgow hospital official says the woman killed in a sniper-style shooting in the hospital's parking lot had just returned from an emergency call when she was shot in the back.

The victim, 37-year-old Melissa Greenhagen, was a part-time emergency medical technician and Valley County's clerk of state District Court.

Clay Berger, emergency medical services director at Frances Mahon Deaconess Hospital, told the Great Falls Tribune that Greenhagen was walking to her car when she was fatally shot Saturday evening.

A female nurse and her husband were wounded after rushing to her aid. The two haven't been identified.

Officers killed the suspect after two gun battles one outside the hospital and another at a nearby house where the suspect fled after being injured. Investigators were still trying to identify the suspect Monday.

My comment:

It has been reported by a Montana gun rights organization that the husband is a CWP holder and shot the suspect, allowing LEOs to follow a blood trail.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Have to wonder if it was a random shooting or if the victim was targeted. Either way a horrible tragedy, glad the scumbag paid the ultimate price.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

Hunch it is domestic

Creepy feeling it will turn out as a domestic.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    Creepy feeling it will turn out as a domestic.
    I bet your right ,estranged hubby/boyfriend knows where she works and can be found even if she moved without a forwarding address she has to go to work.some people just can't let go without feeling like if they can't have the other person then nobody will
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    More:

Missoulian: Glasgow woman killed by sniper was shot in the back

This week's most popular
    Glasgow slaying suspect is dead (3783)
    Glasgow high school and hospital under lockdown after gunfire injures 3; town is barricaded, police say
    Posted on January 18 (2145)
    UPDATE FROM GLASGOW: Suspect in fatal shooting of woman outside hospital is dead
    Posted on Jan. 18 (1895)
    LAtest FROM GLASGOW: Investigators arrive to piece together sniper-style shooting
    Posted on Jan. 18 (1719)
    Glasgow woman killed by sniper was shot in the back (1543)
    Snowmobiler killed in southwestern Montana avalanche
    Posted on Jan. 17 (1442)

Archived Story
    Glasgow woman killed by sniper was shot in the back
    By the Associated Press

GLASGOW - The woman killed in a sniper-style shooting in the Glasgow hospital's parking lot had just returned from an emergency call when she was shot in the back, a hospital official said Monday.

The victim, 37-year-old Melissa Greenhagen, was a part-time emergency medical technician, Valley County's clerk of state District Court and a mother of three.

She was part of a team that had just returned to Frances Mahon Deaconess Hospital from an emergency call Saturday evening, and was walking to her car when she was fatally shot, said Clay Berger, the hospital's emergency medical services director.

Authorities say a female nurse and her husband were wounded after rushing to Greenhagen's aid. Their names have not been released.

Berger told the Great Falls Tribune that after the man shot Greenhagen and the two others, the suspect positioned himself on a gravel slope and exchanged gunfire with as many as 30 officers. The shootout lasted roughly half an hour, he said.

The man then ran along the banks of the Milk River to a nearby house. Police tracked him and engaged in a second gunfight, killing the man.

Investigators on Monday were still trying to identify the suspect, whose body was taken to the state crime lab.

Meanwhile, friends and co-workers said Greenhagen became certified as an EMT in December, taking on the job as another way to serve her community. The mother of three boys and one girl also volunteered with Boy Scouts and the Hi-Line Hockey Association.

Glasgow has about 3,500 residents and is about 50 miles south of the Canadian border.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Are there any sources to verify the husband shooting back? Seems like these news stories aren't saying anything of that extent.

A true tragedy that certainly doesn't help the "gun nuts" angle.

VIP Member

Up date

Montana's News Station - Fair. Accurate. To the Point. -Schweitzer orders half-staff flags for Glasgow shooting victim

Schweitzer orders half-staff flags for Glasgow shooting victim

Posted: Jan 23, 2009 03:32 PM EST

Governor Brian Schweitzer has directed all state flags to be flown at half-staff on Saturday to honor Melissa Greenhagen, a volunteer EMT who was killed in the line of duty last weekend.

Here is the text of the Governor's proclamation:

I hereby order all flags on property of the State of Montana be flown at half-staff on Saturday, January 24th, 2009 to honor the memory of Melissa Fischer Greenhagen, a volunteer Emergency Medical Technician, killed while on duty on Saturday, January 17th, 2009. Further, I urge all Montanans to fly flags at their homes, schools, public buildings, parks, communities and business at half staff in honor of EMT Melissa Greenhagen.

Greenhagen was shot by Roger Sellers in Glasgow in a bizarre incident that continues to baffle and sadden residents and authorities in the Hi-Line community.

In addition to shooting Greenhagen, Sellers also shot and wounded Scott and Suzanne Billingsley. Sellers was shot and killed in the course of being apprehended; the Billingsleys were both treated and released earlier this week. The motive for the shootings remains a mystery, as there does not appear to be any link between Sellers and the people that he shot.

Friends of Greenhagen have created a Facebook page to honor her; it includes memories of "Missy" and information about memorial funds for both Greenhagen's four children and a concession stand at the local events arena.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    That just really stinks. Prayers for comfort and strength have gone up for her children, other family members, and friends. Rest in peace, Ms. Greenhagen.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Well, this pretty much eliminates the claim that hospitals are "safe" zones.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Arrrrrggghhhh!!!!

I just do not understand.
    We live in a sick world.
    It's bad enough that people face natural disasters, and self- or other-caused accidents.

Why this?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Have to wonder if it was a random shooting or if the victim was targeted. Either way a horrible tragedy, glad the scumbag paid the ultimate price.
    not me.i always would rather see these scum bums live the rest of their lives in prison.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    not me.i always would rather see these scum bums live the rest of their lives in prison.
    Well, then you pay for him too! Have an "Adopt a Killer" program where people could provide personal lifelong support for criminals.
    Maybe if he worked on the rockpile, I might agree, but with prisons being what they are, and knowing that he will have a lawyer working (at taxpayer expense) to free him, I'll go with the death penalty, carried out swiftly.

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    If I could believe they would actually stay there I might go with this.

Violent offenders call for violent response. It is one thing to track them down and apprehend them peacefully, but when they fight back, sorry.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Quote Originally Posted by bigiceman View Post
    If I could believe they would actually stay there I might go with this.

Violent offenders call for violent response. It is one thing to track them down and apprehend them peacefully, but when they fight back, sorry.
    ya,i guess the death penalty would be better. they will usually still be there for 10yrs when they get that.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Links