Good: Wal-Mart Shopper Shoots Bad Guy

Good: Wal-Mart Shopper Shoots Bad Guy

This is a discussion on Good: Wal-Mart Shopper Shoots Bad Guy within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Since the armed defense blog is a few days out of date and this has been slow for a few days, I started mining the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good: Wal-Mart Shopper Shoots Bad Guy

Lightbulb Good: Wal-Mart Shopper Shoots Bad Guy

Since the armed defense blog is a few days out of date and this has been slow for a few days, I started mining the news this morning for my "fix".

Alleged teen robber shot by Wal-Mart shopper (with video) - poconorecord.com - The Pocono Record

[b]Alleged teen robber shot by Wal-Mart shopper.

EAST STROUDSBURG - It's a night time shopper's nightmare. You buy groceries, go to your car, and someone tries to rob you at gunpoint.

Police say Joshua Eastman, 28, of East Stroudsburg was unloading groceries at his car shortly before 12:45 a.m. today when Reneau Jean Jacques, 17, of 77 Symphony Circle, East Stroudsburg, pointed a handgun at him and demanded that he hand over his money.

Eastman looked around for help or someone to yell to. The alleged robber continued to demand money. Eastman replied that he did not have any money - that he used a debit card to pay for his purchases.

Jacques became more threatening, pointing the gun and using a more menacing tone of voice.

Eastman then took out his wallet and pushed the door of his truck more open to put it between himself and the suspect. Jacques pointed his gun at Eastman's face.

Eastman dropped his wallet and started ducking down. Jacques fired a shot that went through the window of the door almost striking Eastman and causing flying glass from the car window to cut his face.

Eastman pulled out a handgun he was carrying and fell to the ground. He returned fire under the truck's door with his pistol while the teen continued to fire his weapon.

Eastman shot Jacques in the lower leg and foot. Then Eastman ran back toward the store as the teen fled towards Friendly's restaurant.

Jacques fled into a landscaped island of bushes and trees in the parking lot. Stroud Area Regional Police were on the scene almost immediately and found him hiding and trying to bury a handgun in the mulch. He originally claimed to be a victim before police determined he was likely the one who started the trouble.

"It appears to be an armed robbery that went badly for the suspect because he picked an armed customer," said Sgt. James Wielgus.

On Thursday afternoon, Jacques, using crutches and wearing a long hospital gown over hospital pants, sat with a numb look on his face during his preliminary arraignment in East Stroudsburg Magisterial District Judge Michael Muth’s courtroom. Jacques, a Shawnee Academy student with a prior juvenile record, spoke in a subdued tone when addressed by the judge.

Jacques is charged as an adult with attempted murder, robbery, aggravated assault, crimes committed with guns and illegal possession of a gun, all felonies, and reckless endangerment, a misdemeanor. He hung his head and sighed after the judge told him he could face up to 30 years in prison if convicted of the most serious charge, attempted murder.

Jacques was taken to Pocono Medical Center for treatment. Police detained two other youths for questioning. They were in a car, trying to flee the scene, according to witnesses and police.
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

BJC
    Thanks for the post. I was looking for a fix as well.

I love it when the GG wins.

VIP Member
    Good job on the victims part. Reading some of the comments that went with the story, people were talking about the BG only being shot in the leg, considering the victim was shooting from under the door at night I see nothing wrong with it. To have gotten a chest hit would have been very difficult.

Here is a follow-up article on this incident:

Accused teen gunman heading to county court - poconorecord.com - The Pocono Record

Reneau Jacques, 17, of Smithfield Township, waived his right to a preliminary hearing Tuesday in district court and will head to Monroe County Court on attempted murder and robbery charges.

Police said Jacques tried to rob Joshua Eastman, 28, of East Stroudsburg, at gunpoint as Eastman was unloading groceries into his vehicle outside the East Stroudsburg Wal-Mart last week.
    Related Stories

Eastman told police that Jacques began firing at him with a .25-caliber handgun. Eastman managed to draw his own .32-caliber handgun and return fire, hitting Jacques in the leg and foot, police said.

Police later found Jacques hiding in bushes near the scene, took him to Pocono Medical Center and later charged him. Eastman was cut in the face when a bullet from Jacques' gun shattered the window of his truck.

Police said Eastman has a permit to carry a concealed weapon and will not be charged.

Jacques initially was charged with an offense worded as "former convict not to possess a gun." That offense has been withdrawn and a charge of possessing a gun without a license has been added, said defense attorney James Gregor.

Jacques waived his preliminary hearing Tuesday before East Stroudsburg Magisterial District Judge Michael Muth and will head to county court, where he can go to trial, plead guilty or plead no contest.

— Andrew Scott

It sounds like the DA is reducing one of the charges. What the hell?? He has plenty of other charges against him though. When this happened members of some of the PA gun forums started telling horror about this Walmart. Not a good place to be at night.

Also check out the related stories links on the page.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar

Jacques is charged as an adult with attempted murder, robbery, aggravated assault, crimes committed with guns and illegal possession of a gun, all felonies, and reckless endangerment, a misdemeanor. He hung his head and sighed after the judge told him he could face up to 30 years in prison if convicted of the most serious charge, attempted murder.
    Yay! Glad an attempted murder charge has been included. Too often BG's discharge a firearm and don't get attempted murder charges

Our concealed carry guy did well (he is alive) but his situation awareness and speed of draw leave much to be desired. He is lucky to be alive.

Always good to hear that someone walked away from a bad situation not of his doing or starting. Hope they throw the book at "Jacques".
    Sarge
    Sarge's Grips - grips that fit
    www.thefinergrain.com

I can hear it now..."he's a GOOD kid...he's only 17". "If only they had something to do...you know, like a place for kids to get together and play basketball or something...really, he's a good kid".

I say it was the guns fault. That BAD GUN jumped into his hands and made him do it.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar

Unusual calibers in this gun fight.

The perp had a .25 caliber gun, the victim had a .32 caliber gun. Neither one of them was exactly over gunned.

The first thought that I had upon reading the .32 caliber is that the victim had one of the .32 KelTecs in his pocket. They aren't exactly target weapons, but the assailent wasn't very far away either.

Fitch

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Glad the gg won this round. Stupid kid just ruined his own future. It was some good thinking on the gg's part to shoot under the door...I wonder how many people really would have thought of that.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    And another moron bites the dust........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I watched the video of the officers interview. He said. "the robber picked the wrong guy to rob"
    Yup for him he picked the wrong guy!
    For the record I think he picked the right guy.

ok, Who was on their nacho run?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

+1 to Mr. Eastman
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

jfl
    Good ending for the GG.
    Bad part: that state's taxpayers are going to house and feed this criminal for decades ... read my lips.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links