Bad, woman killed @ Columbia SC ATM

This is a discussion on Bad, woman killed @ Columbia SC ATM within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; WIS News 10 - Columbia, South Carolina | Son of Elgin woman shot during robbery speaks...

Thread: Bad, woman killed @ Columbia SC ATM

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

FOREST ACRES, SC (WIS) - Deputies are still looking for a man investigators say shot a Midlands mother five times as she drove through an ATM in Forest Acres.

The Elgin woman was shot at about 9am Wednesday at an ATM machine outside of the Bank of America on Trenholm Road in Forest Acres.

The victim, 55-year-old Lynne Thompson, of Elgin, was transported to the hospital where died of multiple gunshot wounds to the torso.

Forest Acres Police Chief Gene Sealy said the thief drove off in the woman's vehicle. He does not yet know how much money the robber took.

"The victim was in her vehicle at the drive through at the ATM when she was approached by this individual," Sealy said.

At a news conference Wednesday afternoon, authorities said a man approached Thompson's vehicle and demanded money or her vehicle, a white Honda Odyssey van.

"The only thing we can tell right now, the motive would be robbery. We don't have any numbers, money or any amount of anything right now," Sealy said.

Authorities say the suspect fired five shots, which hit her while she was in the van. Then, authorities say she either got out or was dragged out of the vehicle.

"Unfortunately our victim was shot numerous times. And after she was shot, she was removed from her vehicle," Sealy said.

The suspect left the scene in Thompson's van and dumped it on Cox Street near Two Notch and Beltline.

Lt. Bryant Hinson from the Forest Acres Police Department said, "From the videos that we do have it does appear as if it is probably a robbery that has gone bad. And we do have several witnesses at the scene which observed the vehicle leaving."

Witnesses reported seeing him get out of the van, with Thompson's purse, and run away.

That lead them to search the area near WA Perry Middle School, about a half mile from the place the man was seen.

Law enforcement were on the scene around noon. The Richland County Sheriff's Department searched the area with their helicopter and their dogs. Police say they had a trail, but it went cold.

The victim's purse and van have been recovered, but the suspect is still at large.

Investigators describe the suspect as a black male, 5'9" to 5'10", about 30 to 40 years old with a scruffy beard. He was wearing a brown jacket and dark pants and what appears in the pictures to be a dark brown knit cap.

Lynne Thompson's only child, 19-year-old Jesse Thompson, spoke to reporters outside his mom's home.

Thompson was away at college when he got the news Wednesday morning.

He says the death of his mother is especially hard right now because she and his father were going through a divorce.

His mom was also in the process of moving out of her Elgin home.

Thompson says he doesn't know what his mom was doing at the ATM. He hopes the community helps deputies bring the killer to justice.

"It all was caught on camera which is very fortunate. They have clear images of the person who did this and I would appreciate any help with people who may recognize him; that's very important to me. The instant was clearly recorded. The police know as much as anyone," Thompson said.

The Presbyterian College student freshman was comforted by his church pastor.

"They handed the phone which had my dad on at the time and they told me very straightforward what happened," Thompson said.

Thompson got the call away at school. He said he spoke to his mom for the last time Tuesday.

"She just wanted to let me know she was back from St. Louis and she said she would talk to me later in the week. I told her I loved her and I had planned on calling her today," Thompson said.

It was a conversation they never had.

This difficult news for the grieving son is compounded by the fact that his parents were in the middle of a divorce.

Of the many emotions, regret is one he's facing.

Thompson said it's "just little things that you look back upon and remember that your parents do you have to appreciate before they're gone and you can't say thank you."

One source says the victim appears to have tried to resist her attacker. That could have been at least one reason the robber opened fire.

For all the damage he did, the killer got away only with whatever the victim had in her purse, because she never took money from the ATM.
    Sad situation. I wonder if it is a robbery as it appears to be, or if there might be more to it, as in murder for hire. Time will tell I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Sad situation. I wonder if it is a robbery as it appears to be, or if there might be more to it, as in murder for hire. Time will tell I guess.
    My thoughts also. Too much shooting for a random robbery but you never know today. Maybe the BG was on drugs but at 9AM it is in broad daylight. Real brazen if you ask me and a real tragedy for her and her family.

I wonder if the divorce had anything to do with it.

Thank God for idiot criminals:

"He was taken into custody without incident. And subsequently, he has been cooperative with police, and has gone so far as implicating himself in the crimes he is accused of, which is murder," Sealy said.
    People don't appreciate how hard it can be to convict someone who takes the fifth, even when there are witnesses and physical evidence.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

For those, like me, that want to read the story and not click a link....

Deputies: ATM shooting suspect arrested, charged with murder

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 10:44 AM

Updated: Jan 23, 2009 05:36 PM

FOREST ACRES, SC (WIS) - Richland County deputies say 37-year-old Kendrick M. Nesbitt, the man suspected of shooting a Midlands mother as she drove through an ATM in Forest Acres, has been arrested.

Sheriff Leon Lott says Nesbitt was arrested without incident Thursday night at his apartment by the Richland County Sheriff's Department Fugitive Task Force, SLED agents and United States Marshals.

He is now being held at the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center on four charges including carjacking, weapons possession, a family support charge and murder.

Sources say Nesbitt was identified through a photo lineup and investigators have fingerprints connecting him to the crime.

Chief Gene Sealy with the Forest Acres Police Department says Nesbitt has indicated his motive was robbery.

"He was taken into custody without incident. And subsequently, he has been cooperative with police, and has gone so far as implicating himself in the crimes he is accused of, which is murder," Sealy said.

Sealy says Nesbitt had been moving around Richland and Lexington Counties in the hours prior to his arrest.

Police say Nesbitt either didn't know or didn't care that the apartment was under surveillance by federal, state and Richland County officers.

"I can't guess why he came back. I have no idea," Sealy said.

Sealy declined to say whether police have recovered the murder weapon.

Nesbitt has a rap sheet dating all the way back to a 1989 arrest for shoplifting -- starting a string of crimes that would later include armed robbery, assault and criminal domestic violence charges.

Nesbitt got out of prison in 2003 after serving most of a 21 year sentence for armed robbery.

"We were a little appalled by the fact that he did have such a lengthy history, that he was out of jail. It seemed like he still should have been in jail according to his record," Sealy said.

Nesbitt is charged with the death of 55-year-old Lynne Thompson of Elgin. Thompson was shot four times shortly before 9:00am Wednesday at an ATM outside the Bank of America on Trenholm Road in Forest Acres.

Thompson was transported to the hospital where she died of multiple gunshot wounds to the torso.

"The victim was in her vehicle at the drive-thru at the ATM when she was approached by this individual," Sealy said.

Wednesday authorities said a man approached Thompson's vehicle and demanded money or her vehicle, a white 2001 Honda Odyssey van.

<snip> from here forward was the original article
    "We were a little appalled by the fact that he did have such a lengthy history, that he was out of jail. It seemed like he still should have been in jail according to his record," Sealy said.
    I can think of a way to never see him again....
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Some liberal leaning judge felt sorry for him probably and let him out so he could "get his life together".

A big hammer on his little toe 3 times a day for a year. (the judge)

Links