92 year old fires at police

This is a discussion on 92 year old fires at police within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I thought this might make interesting discussion; Slideshow A 92-year-old Avondale man is under arrest after he allegedly fired a gun at police through the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 92 year old fires at police

Administrator

I thought this might make interesting discussion;

Slideshow A 92-year-old Avondale man is under arrest after he allegedly fired a gun at police through the door of his apartment Thursday morning.

According to officials, the incident started around 5:15 a.m. while Cincinnati Police were responding to calls about a disorderly person at 9-story apartment building in the 3700 block of Reading Road.

When police knocked on the door of Sidney Lismere's second floor apartment, he allegedly refused to let them in and fired a single shot at them through the doorway.

No one was injured and police say they quickly took a defensive position after the shot was fired. After police identified themselves again, Lismere reportedly came out and gave up. Police say he has previously called for help with problems with neighbors.

Cincinnati Police Sgt. Danita Kilgore was among the officers who responded to Lismere's apartment. "Officers responded up to the second floor, apartment 205, [and] made an attempt at knocking on the door to handle the complaint. When they knocked on the door, they were greeted with a gunshot through the door. They immediately took defensive positions around the door," explains Sgt. Kilgore.

Sgt. Kilgore continues, "They called out and identified themselves a second time. That's when the 92-year-old gentleman came out and he left the weapon inside the residence. He was then taken into custody."

Lismere now faces three counts of felonious assault since there were three officers outside his apartment door when he fired the shot.

Officers at the scene say that Lismere has previously been a robbery victim.
    Elderly Avondale Man Arrested For Firing At Police - Cincinnati breaking news, weather radar, traffic from 9News | Channel 9 WCPO.com

For a little backround, the area that this occured is a drug-n-thug infested area, it was once a nicer blue collar neighborhood (50+years ago) and has been getting a lot worse in more recent years.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    What he did was wrong, but doesn't sound like he really had much criminal intent. I think he was probably just scared of robbers or malicious neighbors. He still needs to face the consequences for his actions though.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

When police knocked on the door of Sidney Lismere's second floor apartment, he allegedly refused to let them in and fired a single shot at them through the doorway.

This is bad reporting or the boy's in blue did not announce themselves
    as police until after the shot rang out.
    In any event 92 years old, hard call SIXTO, will he even make to trial?
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    I agree. I don't think he did this with malicious intent, but he does need to face a jury now. Too bad the neighborhood deteriorated so badly...
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Administrator
    I doubt there was any ill intent; I'd be scared to live there too, and I'm much more capable of taking care of myself than a 92 year old. I'd be suprised if the charges are not dropped or at least lowered to a pay out ticket level.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Nothing says no solicitation please than a bullet hole in your door
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by ron8903 View Post
    ..............or the boy's in blue did not announce themselves as police until after the shot rang out.............
    Since according to the article they were responding to a call, I'd doubt they identified themselves when they first knocked on the door. In the two times police have knocked on my door (once to notify me that a woman who ran into my car was fighting the ticket she received and once when the neighbor left a cordless phone off the hook and when the battery died, the base unit automatically dialed 911), they did not knock and identify themselves. Only rang the door bell. I don't know what the normal procedure is in the big city but in Smalltown, KS, that's how they do it. None of this excuses him for firing a shot at an unknown person through the door. I'm glad no officers were hurt but unfortunately, even 6 months in the county jail may be a life sentence.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Since according to the article they were responding to a call, I'd doubt they identified themselves when they first knocked on the door. In the two times police have knocked on my door (once to notify me that a woman who ran into my car was fighting the ticket she received and once when the neighbor left a cordless phone off the hook and when the battery died, the base unit automatically dialed 911), they did not knock and identify themselves. Only rang the door bell. I don't know what the normal procedure is in the big city but in Smalltown, KS, that's how they do it. None of this excuses him for firing a shot at an unknown person through the door. I'm glad no officers were hurt but unfortunately, even 6 months in the county jail may be a life sentence.

Hoss
    I always announce POLICE when I knock on some one's door!
    And stand to the side and never in front.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by ron8903 View Post
    I always announce POLICE when I knock on some one's door!
    And stand to the side and never in front.
    I would think that would be the best procedure regardless of the reason for being there. I should have noted in my previous post that in my small town, I know all of the officers and they know me and since I've lived in the same house for 30+ years they probably know they're safe when they knock on my door.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

We had a rather well to do home owner take a shot through the front door when a friend of mine showed up for his burglar alarm being set off. After much deliberation the county attorney declined to prosecute after the defendant took my friend to lunch.......
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    There should be a law; one free pass for anyone over 90.

VIP Member
    Sadly, some folks in that higher age group have a sort of shoot-first-ask-questions-later attitude. My father is approaching 90 years old, if he lived alone and in a bad area, knowing him as I do, the possibility exists that hemightbe capable of doing something like that himself. When he was a younger man, he surely wouldn't, I think that aging has that affect on you.

A few years ago, one of his friends who lived in a bad area, had someone prowling outside his house late at night. Foolishly the friend fired a pistol out of his window in the direction of the prowler and he shot a hole in his own air conditioner.

I'm not making excuses for any of this, it's poor judgment all the way around, though I think much of it is fueled by some level of dementia.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Moderator
    I'll bet it's not the first time he has fired at the door to scare people off.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lasst year a person was shot and killed by police here in Jacksonville in a somewhat similar situation. He saw what he thought to be "thugs" on his property. It was dark, and he opened fire. Turned out the "thugs" where under cover cops setting up a raid on some drug dealers. They returned fire and killed the home owner.

In the past, the home owner had called many times about drug dealers in his area without a response. So he didn't count on police actually showing up. And if they are dressed in civilian clothes, on his property, how should he be able to tell. Maybe he even saw a drawn or open carried weapon (hard to ask him now of course).

I figure there should be some rules for a defensive shooting

Rule #1: Try and call 911 before you shoot
    Rule #2: if you can safely retreat, do so even if you are not legally obligated to retreat.
    Rule #3: the fact that you are legally allowed to shoot doesn't mean you have to shoot.
    Rule #4: first think, then shoot.

In the case above: I guess the cops set it up right and didn't stand in front of the door as they knocked. Kudos to their training. For the shooter: I have no idea what to do. Sounds wrong to convict him and send him to prison, but what he did was wrong.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

VIP Member
    Times and attitudes change. Forty years back my wife lived in a smaller MO community. The old lady next door kept a shotgun around and was known to menace anyone who parked their car in front of her house. She was generally viewed as a harmless old 'eccentric,' and no one thought she needed arresting and criminal charges.

A few months back we visited that old neighborhood. The house my wife lived in was up for sale and though it is 100 years old we considered buying it. I told the realtor the story about the former neighbor lady. The realtor commented that today the lady would be instantly arrested.

Its a long time since Mayberry, but we still need to find a way to treat the elderly a little different than we would a 20 year old doing the same outrageous thing. I bet that old man was a WWII vet; possibly also a Korean era vet. He deserves a little slack in his old age.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links