Gambrills couple held at gunpoint in home invasion

This is a discussion on Gambrills couple held at gunpoint in home invasion within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Gambrills couple held at gunpoint in home invasion -- baltimoresun.com Gambrills couple held at gunpoint in home invasion By Nicole Fuller| nicole.fuller@baltsun.com 7:04 PM EST, ...

Thread: Gambrills couple held at gunpoint in home invasion

VIP Member

Thumbs down Gambrills couple held at gunpoint in home invasion

Gambrills couple held at gunpoint in home invasion -- baltimoresun.com

By Nicole Fuller| nicole.fuller@baltsun.com
    7:04 PM EST, January 22, 2009
    A Gambrills couple in their 60s was held captive at gunpoint by a pair of robbers, who tied them up and ransacked their home after using a ruse to get into the house, Anne Arundel County police said today.

The victims -- a retired married couple who once owned a retail business nearby -- were not seriously injured in the Wednesday incident, which lasted a little more than an hour. Police today were looking for two men, who fled in a white Jeep Cherokee or other SUV, and said the crime might "possibly not be random" and are "investigating the possibility that this could be linked to another incident," said Justin Mulcahy, a police spokesman.

The female victim said she was alone in the home in the 800 block of Claffey Ave. about 11:30 a.m., and was preparing to make an oatmeal cake, when there was a knock at the door. Through the peep hole she saw a man who said he had a package for her husband. She opened the door.

"That's when the party started," the woman, who did not want to be identified, fearing for her family's safety, said. "There were two guys with guns. They told me was that they wouldn't hurt me, they just wanted money."

The woman said one of the assailants ransacked the home, looking for money or other goods, while the other robber guarded her, pacing back and forth nervously in the living room.

"I told them I didn't have any [money]," she said. "I don't keep cash in the house. That didn't go over too well. They didn't believe me. It's like a cyclone went through here. They were a little annoyed. They finally came to the realization that I was telling the truth."

Things turned especially scary for the woman when the robbers made her go upstairs to her bedroom and tied her arms to a bedpost. A few minutes later, her husband came home, and she said she heard "scuffling." One of the assailants choked the man unconscious, she said, but he came to a few minutes later, and was also tied up. The robbers found cash in a truck and took the couple's cell phones, before fleeing.

The couple untied themselves, but because the robbers had apparently cut their phone lines, they ran to a neighbor's house, who called police about 12:40 p.m.

A neighbor, Mabel Tobin, 85, who has lived on the street since 1948, called to check on the couple today. "It's usually a safe neighborhood until recently," Tobin said. "There's been quite a few burglaries going around and stuff. We've never kept our door locked or anything, but lately ..."

The female victim, who said that she was unharmed during the incident but that her husband's throat was irritated from the choking, said she had a message for the public: "Seniors beware. Everybody. Just don't open the door if you don't know somebody. This is really something I didn't expect to happen to me. I think our generation is a little too trusting."

As for the box the assailants used as a ruse, the police have it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    The more of these kind of incidents I read the more pissed I get. These scumbags deserve no mercy and should never see the light of day again from behind bars.

DAAAAAANNNG! I lived in Gambrills, not more than a mile or so from where this happened, for five years before moving back to the Midwest. Great little community, without a terrible lot of excitement. Goes to show--it can happen anywhere...

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    That's less than ten minutes from where I live. Huh.

Well, it's Maryland, so I don't have a permit, but I do put the holster on first thing when I come home. For what it is worth, XDFender, that part of Gambrills is less built up, older houses---more rural than suburban, with lots of farm- and horse-land around. Not one of the mega-developments. (Right next-door to Dave's Natural Market on Rt.175, if you remember where that is.)
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    The more of these kind of incidents I read the more pissed I get. These scumbags deserve no mercy and should never see the light of day again from behind bars.
    My thoughts exactly !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Links