Fought back

This is a discussion on Fought back within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Should have had gun on self instead of having to go to car for it but better than not having anything at all. POSTED: 6:02 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fought back

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Fought back

Should have had gun on self instead of having to go to car for it but better than not having anything at all.

POSTED: 6:02 am EST December 29, 2005
    UPDATED: 2:54 pm EST December 29, 2005

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Two suspected robbers got more than they bargained for Wednesday night when their intended victim fought back and wounded one of them, police said.

Damian Powell was headed to an apartment on Farrington Drive, off Six Forks Road in north Raleigh, at about 8 p.m. Wednesday when two teens approached him, police said. One of the teens flashed a gun, and they demanded money, police said.

Powell wasn't about to become a victim. He knocked the gun out of the teen's hand and ran to his car to get his own gun, police said.

He and the would-be robbers then exchanged gunfire in the apartment complex parking lot, and Powell apparently wounded one of them as they fled, police said.

"I was talking on the phone, and I heard gunshots," witness Raffaela Kinsley said. "The person I was talking to heard it as well."

Cesar Solorzano appeared at the emergency room of Duke Health Raleigh Hospital a short time later with a gunshot wound to the shoulder, police said.

Solorzano and Antoine Sanders, both 18, were later charged with attempted robbery with a dangerous weapon, police said.

Powell had a permit for the gun in his car, police said.

pasted by qkshooter
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

Yep. If you have that permit, make use of it! Carry!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Administrator

Thumbs up Nice Find ArmyCop

Thanks for posting the story.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

he shouldnt have had to run to his car to access his weapon.....especially living in 'da hood in raleigh.

btw, former 95B here also!

we dont know the whole story. He may have not been carrying because the person house he was at diddnt want a loaded firearm in their house! it helps to have it on you but somtimes you just cant
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Assistant Administrator
    it helps to have it on you but sometimes you just can't
    True that may be but - I sure suggest to all who are remotely dedicated to carry - to reduce the ''can't'' or ''won't'' factor to the absolute total minimum.

Why do I carry every waking hour, even when my daily risk is mostly laughably insignificant?? Because the one and only (hopefully never) time I could need it is when I want to reach down and KNOW it is there - not a sinking realization it is in the car or worse - not anywhere within reach. That time you sneak down to the stop and rob for the quick jug of milk - but forget to ''tool up"

This why carry in the home is not IMO to laughed at - once more, the gun is immediately available (better than a hoped for 5-10 second sprint to a room while the BG waits!!) - it is also secure, another bonus.

Ok - I know - I preach this a lot but hey - in my book, I carry or I don't - there is no half measure. My choice of course and not to be thrust on others but I sure do ask many folks to consider it

This guy was more than lucky - it could have gone oh so differently.

<gets down from pulpit>
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Kat
    [QUOTE=P95Carry]I carry or I don't - there is no half measure.

I Completely agree. The entire "carry approach to life" becomes a little easier when we shed ourselves of decisions like "should I take my gun when we go here, or not". There's enough mental preparedness that I need to have without having to be making decisions about when I'll carry. We never know when Murphy (as in Murphy's Law) will attack. As the Law states, we won't expect it and it will come at a time that will defy logic.

If I'm going out the door, the gun's always strong side @ about 4:00. Church, out to get the mail, playing with the kids in the yard, etc., it doesn't matter. Everywhere that's legal.

I'm sure I've been to many friends homes who wouldn't appreciate the fact that I'm packing. They never get mad at me because they never know.

One man's opinion.
    Luke 22:36 And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one."

QUOTE=P95Carry]I carry or I don't - there is no half measure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat
    [They never get mad at me because they never know.
    One man's opinion.
    Amen...I have a pistol size for every occasion... and I will be in good company.

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar
    This guy was plenty lucky. Around my crime infested cowtown we have had this happen many times in just this first Month of 2006.

And one person being robbed got killed and in two other holdups after the thugs got their money they shot the victims just for the fun of shooting them.

If one has a CCW it's best to be armed and ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelicious
    He may have not been carrying because the person house he was at diddnt want a loaded firearm in their house!
    and by subjecting himself to disarmament, he found himself in the position of being at the mercy of armed thugs. when you disarm, you are helpless and at the mercy of those who are armed.

this guy is obviously a fool:

1- he foolishly disarmed (ive been to that part of raleigh)
    2- he foolishly hit the attackers gun
    3- he left the scene of the crime and foolishly returned with a gun to escalate the situation

if my gun isnt welcome somewhere, then im not welcome there either. i will not disarm. if the gates of heaven have a "no weapons" sign ill turn around and go to hell.

RKJ
    Missouri's law states that you must be 23 to be eligible for a CCW but anyone 21 or over can carry in their car. Maybe that was the case here, I don't know the laws of NC, but..... As far as knocking the gun away, awful lucky maybe more bravado than brains.

My neighborhood is going downhill as well and the stress upon the non-criminal residents is starting to really get to us. Since the man across the street died and the scum moved in (as well as deals with the scum just right up the road, who runs a "junk shop" and with the amount of thefts going up (1+1=2 here)) the people (non-criminal res.) are at the end of their wits.

So, it's carry 16/7 (8 hours for sleep (yeah, right)) and shotgun by the bedside.

I wouldn't leave any firearm in my car where it can be stolen. It's either on me or in the safe/coffee table. If a person doesn't wish me to carry in their home, I just don't go to their homes.

Wayne

I agree the best gun is the one that you have one you, even if its only a .22 derringer, its a gun that you have on you.

you only have to be 21 to carry in NC

P95Carry and Kat are correct - I carry all the time, even around the house. The necessity of this was made VERY clear to me the night I heard someone tapping on my downstairs window, and I realized that my gun was upstairs. If the guy had crashed through the door instead of tapping on the window, he would have had me cold.

Hey LibertyGal, Welcome :).

Yes, a gun upstairs isn't worth anything.

Wayne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links