Good: If you don't have a gun, use the scumbag's

This is a discussion on Good: If you don't have a gun, use the scumbag's within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police: North Houston resident disarms, kills burglar Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle Jan. 23, 2009, 2:06PM "Homicide detectives are still investigating an overnight shooting in which ...

Police: North Houston resident disarms, kills burglar
    Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
    Jan. 23, 2009, 2:06PM

"Homicide detectives are still investigating an overnight shooting in which a resident of a north Houston apartment said he disarmed a burglar and killed him with his own gun."

Better to use your own, but hey not only did this guy improvise, he was a good shot too!

VIP Member
    Homicide detectives are still investigating an overnight shooting in which a resident of a north Houston apartment said he disarmed a burglar and killed him with his own gun.

The shooting occurred about 10 p.m. Thursday at the Worthington Apartments at 1350 Greens Parkway, KHOU Channel 11 reported.

Police said two residents reported that they came home and found that two men had broken into their apartment.

One of the intruders had a gun, which was wrestled away from him during a struggle with the residents, police said.

The resident fired, killing one of the burglars, while the other ran away, police were told.

Investigators were trying to identify the dead man and determine why the pair chose to break into that apartment.
    Duhhhhhh, maybe because no one was home so they thought it was an easy target??!! Good for the homeowner.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Duhhhhhh, maybe because no one was home so they thought it was an easy target??!! Good for the homeowner.
    Awful presumptious on your part. I mean, they coulda been there to turn down the sheets and put chocolates on their pillows. Why do you guys always have to assume the worst about people... Sheesh!

VIP Member
    Guess it's just my cynical nature.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Guess it's just my cynical nature.
    Aww, Archer51, it's okay.

Just try to be better next time.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Now if they will use the capitol murder charge against the other criminal he could be put away for a long time.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I guess it would be a good shoot if the threat remained due to disparity of force (two on one, younger vs older, size, etc.), or if the bad guy made moves as if going for a backup gun. But in my fantasies of being able to disarm the bad guy, it seems that shooting him at that point could be questioned. Am I on the right track?
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

How dare he shoot an unarmed man!

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    I guess it would be a good shoot if the threat remained due to disparity of force (two on one, younger vs older, size, etc.), or if the bad guy made moves as if going for a backup gun. But in my fantasies of being able to disarm the bad guy, it seems that shooting him at that point could be questioned. Am I on the right track?
    There is not enough information given. If you assume a clean disarm and the person fleeing, might be questionable. I was envisioning a struggle over the firearm.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

If the gun could be wrestled from the bad guy, the bad guy could wrestle the gun back. I have already decided that if I have an opportunity to wrestle a gun from a mugger or intruder, I'm going to fire as soon as I have control of the weapon. Realistically, it's the only way to ensure my safety. Unfortunately, he probably won't have enough time to process what has happened and turn away to run before I pull the trigger if that is his intent, but that's not my problem. If he didn't want to die, well, he ought to have thought about that before he decided to pull a gun on me.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

VIP Member
    "Investigators were trying to identify the dead man and determine why the pair chose to break into that apartment"

drugs?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

The chose to break into that apartment, because one of them had a death wish!!
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

VIP Member

Interesting issue Paymeister

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    You raise a fairly interesting issue. In my martial arts class we often practiced knife disarms. Typically the immediate follow through was to plunge the knife back into the attacker--almost in one smooth motion of disarm-stab.

In both situations, knife or gun disarm, I guess technically you need to make a split second evaluation of whether or not the bg is going to break off the contact. But, as a practical matter, in a hand to hand struggle you really don't have time to evaluate that.

Looking at the entire situation, disparity of two to one, an ongoing struggle for the gun, armed bgs obviously engaged in burglary of a habitation, I would think the shoot was fully justified--- but you never know.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I wasn't considering the timing of the situation: I agree that 'grab-bang' certainly seems reasonable since battle is still ongoing and you have no idea if he's reaching for the gun back again or grabbing a knife. He's already proven murderous intent!

IF (big "IF") you are able to say,
    1. "You now have his gun"
    2. "He has withdrawn from you"
    3. "His hands are up" and
    4. "You have had three minutes to catch your breath"
    THEN we might have something to discuss. But for the real "midst of a fight" scenario, however, I withdraw any criticism or concerns.

Thanks for the reality check.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Links