Three people have been arrested after an undercover police officer

Three people have been arrested after an undercover police officer

This is a discussion on Three people have been arrested after an undercover police officer within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; wjz.com - 3 Arrested In Shooting Of Undercover Balt. Officer Arrested In Shooting Of Undercover Balt. Officer Reporting Suzanne Collins BALTIMORE (WIZ) ― Baltimore police ...

Thread: Three people have been arrested after an undercover police officer

VIP Member

Thumbs down Three people have been arrested after an undercover police officer

wjz.com - 3 Arrested In Shooting Of Undercover Balt. Officer

Arrested In Shooting Of Undercover Balt. Officer Reporting
    Suzanne Collins BALTIMORE (WIZ) ―

Baltimore police say three people have been arrested after an undercover police officer was shot twice in the face while working a drug detail.

Three people are in custody accused of shooting an undercover police officer.

Suzanne Collins reports Baltimore City Police released details of the arrests Saturday afternoon.

Officer Dante Arthur, 33, had severe facial injuries, but he will survive.

It wasn't long after that shooting in the Central District that they did arrest three people.

One suspect, Sean Smith, 23, who was shot in the leg by police was taken from police headquarters around 5 p.m. Saturday.

He and two others are charged with the attempted murder of Officer Arthur who was shot twice in the jaw. They're also charged with shooting at his partner.

The two officers tried to arrest another suspect, Sean Cox, 22, after buying drugs from him in an undercover buy. It happened on Orchard Street at 8 p.m. Friday night.

"When the officers moved to take Mr. Cox into custody, he started resisting very violently, and it appears that he attempted to disarm Officer Arthur. During the course of that struggle, and as he broke free, our officers came under fire from two suspects, later identified as Antwan Cox and Sean Smith," said Police Commissioner Fred Bealefeld.

Antwan Cox is the third suspect who is a 19-year-old.

Mayor Sheila Dixon says Friday night's shooting is an example of why fighting illegal guns and those who repeatedly use them is so critical. She says related legislation should be passed.

"So here again, they have prior records for handling of illegal guns, and that's why these bills that we have are for the state legislator is so important," said Dixon.

Officer Arthur is an 8-year veteran. He's still in Shock Trauma where he was taken Friday night. He will have to undergo a series of surgeries.

"Officer Arthur underwent, for a lack of a better word, a phase, a first phase of facial reconstruction surgery. He sustained severe injuries in the gunshot wound to the lower portion of his jaw," said Bealefeld.

Police also say Sean Smith wasn't in jail, even though he was charged in October in Baltimore County with attempted murder.

The mayor's legislation wouldn't let people get good time credits in prison if they're there on a gun offense.
    http://wjz.com/local/police.shooting.2.916565.html

BALTIMORE (WJZ/AP) ―

Baltimore police say three people have been arrested after an undercover police officer was shot twice in the face while working a drug detail.

Thirty-three-year-old Dante Arthur was shot Friday night and police said Saturday that he was listed in critical, but stable condition at Shock Trauma.

Police Commissioner Frederick Bealefeld said the officer, who has been on the force for about seven years, was one of two plainclothes officers who approached a group of people they believed were selling drugs.

During the attempted purchase, Bealefeld says the officer was shot and his partner returned fire.

Bealefeld said Friday night that two people at local hospitals might be linked to the shooting and police were investigating.

Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi says the officer was shot twice in the face. The officer is in critical condition, but he's expected to live.

According to police, one of the bullets just grazed him and the other went through his cheek, shattering several teeth.

"[The two officers] observed a group of individuals they believed were engaged in drug transactions. [Those] officers, in plain clothes, approached the group, obstensibly to make an undercover purchase of drugs," said police commissioner Fred Bealefeld.

Bealefeld said after the officer was shot, "His partner returned fire on at least one of the suspects, and as they fled he rendered aid to the wounded officer.

The scream of that police officer was heard on the radio saying a policeman had been shot.

At Druid Hill and Orchard, bullet casings were on the ground. Men were held on the curve, and officers were worried about their comrade.

The Central District police officer who was wounded in the face was brought to Shock Trauma and wheeled through the front door. It wasn't long before the commissioner arrived and then the mayor.

"[The wounded officer is] in critical condition," said Dr. James O'Connell at Shock Trauma. "We're getting some more diagnostic tests at the moment, and then we will determine what further he will need down the line -- either surgery or not."

Mayor Sheila Dixon reaffirmed the officers' role in protecting the city.

"Our officers are out there working hard every day to keep the city safe," she said.
    Last edited by DaveH; January 25th, 2009 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Unmerged two articals
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    This doesn't make sense ! If you are going to make laws enforce them and that means build jails ! I say, let's start up penal islands again and just air drop
    food medical supplies on a schedule.Anyone who has a death sentence or life
    sentence with no chance of parole gets a one way ticket to this place.Just think
    of all the money we'd save and what a deteriorate it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    Just think
    12' of rope is even cheaper. And its reusable.
    No excuse for letting broken, un fixable humans relax in confinement while good people work hard to pay for it.
    Ritalin - So much easier than parenting.

I wonder what the legislation that Mayor Dixon refers to fighting illegal guns and the criminals that use them is... I hope is not another ban on legal guns and ownership.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

This doesn't make sense ! If you are going to make laws enforce them and that means build jails ! I say, let's start up penal islands again and just air drop
    food medical supplies on a schedule.Anyone who has a death sentence or life
    sentence with no chance of parole gets a one way ticket to this place.Just think
    That would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    I wonder what the legislation that Mayor Dixon refers to fighting illegal guns and the criminals that use them is... I hope is not another ban on legal guns and ownership.
    same here.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    same here.
    At the end of the first article it says:
    The mayor's legislation wouldn't let people get good time credits in prison if they're there on a gun offense.
    If that's her legislation, I applaud her though I think it should extend to anyone there on a violent crime, gun or not. Frankly, I like Stetson's idea.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Administrator
    I say, let's start up penal islands again I'm with you here and just air drop
    food medical supplies on a schedule. wait... lets just stop here and ask why. Why would we still feed them?
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I'm kind of in favor of self supporting Penal Colonies. You don't work, you don't eat! You don't eat, you simply die!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Don't even buy a rope, Take them to the top of avery tall building or cliff & start singing.."you are the wind beneath my wings".

Scrap them up and place into a compost and your producing fertilizer.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Dixon is an expert on illegal activity...right?
    Desperate people do desperate things in desperate situations.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Kimber Tactical Custom II, SIS Pro

Have you been to Baltimore lately?

Formally a beautiful, historic city; now a dump.

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Quote Originally Posted by HK USP 45 View Post
    That would be interesting.
    The French tried it already. It wasn't a good system. My feeling is like Moses' - everytime someone exhibits behavior that should not infect the culture, generally, he prescribed stoning. That procedure requires every participant to take responsibility for the death, but as Moses put it, "so shall you rid yourselves of evil."

On the other hand, as a criminal defense attorney, I am keenly aware of the absurdly unjust system we've got, and how often people are convicted because of what some cop thinks he "knows" - they use the word, "knowledge" to mean, "inference" or "hunch" or "assumption". Then testify to "facts" which they "know"; the judges let them do it, knowing full well what's going on, and the prosecutors do everything they can to facilitate the process. The ideas of "innocent until proven guilty" and rigorous rules of procedure and evidence are discussed but ignored. That's why I'm against capital punishment in the U.S. - not because it's not the best method (particularly since I'm not interested in punishment but elimination), but because we're unable to exercise the intellectual honesty and self-discipline to hold criminal trials in accord with the procedure we have received from our ancestors, and which has been refined over centuries of experience. We are ultimately ineffective in law enforcement because we just want to "get the bad guys."

By the way, I don't mean this as a general attack on judges, prosecutors, or cops; it's an attack on us, because our goals and motives create the reinforcement schedule that makes the system work the way it does. And every occupation is pretty much the same, lawyers, plumbers, stonemasons, car mechanics: some are really good, some are really bad, and most are average. And the ones who are really good aren't necessarily honest.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Links