Two dead, seven hurt in downtown Portland shooting

This is a discussion on Two dead, seven hurt in downtown Portland shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Two dead, seven hurt in downtown Portland shooting – OregonLive.com Two dead, seven hurt in downtown Portland shooting by The Oregonian Sunday January 25, 2009, ...

Thread: Two dead, seven hurt in downtown Portland shooting

VIP Member

Thumbs down Two dead, seven hurt in downtown Portland shooting

Two dead, seven hurt in downtown Portland shooting – OregonLive.com

by The Oregonian
    Sunday January 25, 2009, 12:05 AM

Two people were killed late Saturday when a gunman opened fire in a downtown Portland area busy with bars and nightclubs.

Seven others were transported to local hospitals, one in critical condition. The suspect was also transported and remained in critical condition, according to Detective Mary Wheat, a Portland police spokeswoman.

Police don't know of any connection between the gunman and the two people who were killed, one of whom, a woman, who died downtown and another victim who died later at a hospital.

"I don't remember having something like this in Portland," Wheat said.

The shooting started in front of The Zone nightclub on Southwest Second Avenue, and witnesses described a chaotic scene.

Southwest Second Avenue and Pine Street.

Aaron Hull, 18, of Salem said he and some friends had tried to get into The Zone and were 30 to 40 yards away when they heard gunfire. As they ducked and ran, they heard about nine shots; it "sounded like a whole clip got emptied," Hull said.

They walked around the block and turned to see bodies on the sidewalk. Hull said people were screaming and running.

The Portland Police Bureau's Gang Enforcement Team Lt. Mike Leloff said the shooting does not appear to be gang-related. The bureau's Gang Violence Response Team was not called out, but homicide detectives were called to investigate.

"Kells is not a usual spot that we get called out to," Leloff said, referring to the police gang enforcement team.

Police have had a heightened uniformed presence on the city's east side the past week during a special "Operation Cool Down" in response to an increased volley of gang-related shootings in North, Northeast, Southeast Portland and Gresham.

As officers tried to sort through a chaotic scene, witnesses gave similar accounts of multiple shots being fired and numerous people injured.

Alexandra Paulus, 18, said a 16-year-old friend was shot while standing in line outside The Zone. His mother had called Paulus to go downtown and help find out what happened to her son as she headed there, too. Paulus said her friend had been shot in the leg, and his wound did not appear to be serious.

Joel Walker, 27, was going downtown to help a friend open his bratwurst cart business across the street from Kells. He saw at least three people loaded into ambulances.

"One of the girls looked pretty bad," he said. "Her friends were crying."

Walker returned from Iraq as a part of the Marine Reserves in April. "I thought I left all that
    stuff back in Iraq," he said.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

"I don't remember having something like this in Portland," Wheat said.
    The detective had better pull her finger out. This sort of thing happens reasonably often around the Portland major metro area, along the light-rail lines, in the rattier ends of town, etc. In this instance, the crimes occurred just a few blocks from the light-rail, which is not uncommon. It's not often that nine folks in one incident get harmed, perhaps, but the scat is striking the whirly thing with increased frequency 'round here.

At night in Portland's downtown area, there are often hundreds of younger adults milling around the numerous clubs, bars and other spots that cater to the crowds. The gangs are in full swing, though this instance doesn't (at this point) seem to be attributed to that.

One of the things I don't do: cruise around the downtown areas at night, in the areas where the seedier clubs and joints are.

Then, again, this other, drug-related shooting incident just happened on Friday night ... not far from my home:

Suspect arrested for shooting at MAX stop during drug deal

01:34 PM PST on Friday, January 23, 2009

By DAVID KROUGH, kgw.com Staff

HILLSBORO, Ore. -- A drug deal near the MAX platform in Hillsboro turned violent Thursday night as shots were fired, according to police.

Just before 10 p.m. witnesses at the Fairplex Max Station said a man got out of a car and fired three shots at another man running away.

Investigators said 18-year-old David Artmeladze was selling marijuana to a man in the car when the buyer pulled a knife and took off with the drugs.

That’s when deputies said Artmeladze got out and fired three rounds from a .40 caliber pistol -- the fleeing man was not hit.

Deputies caught up with Artmeladze and arrested him on weapons charges and criminal mischief.

The other man was not found.
    This one happened a week ago, involving a 92yr old man shooting his adopted children: click.

New Year's Eve saw a double homicide: click.

Last month, a shooting at a funeral occurred: click.

Last month, as well, someone was shot in a trailer home: click.

And so it goes.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sad, very sad...
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Links