Gunmen wound girl, 8, in botched home invasion

This is a discussion on Gunmen wound girl, 8, in botched home invasion within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; herd without a clue. "unlocked front door" "None of the occupants of the house were armed." Wolves blow it & shot each other. Child pays ...

VIP Member

herd without a clue. "unlocked front door" "None of the occupants of the house were armed."

Wolves blow it & shot each other.

Child pays the price.

When will the learn????

Gunmen wound girl, 8, at birthday party | ajc.com

Child was attending birthday party in Chamblee
    By KATHY JEFCOATS

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Monday, January 19, 2009

An 8-year-old girl was caught in the crossfire of gunshots exchanged by four men who burst into the Chamblee home where she was attending a birthday party, police said.

Chamblee police Chief Marc Johnson said Andrea Martinez Reneaud suffered a graze wound to her chest. The bullet then traveled through her arm without hitting bone, he said. She is expected to recover.

Johnson said the girl was at a house on Ortega Way for a birthday party held Sunday for a 7-year-old friend.

About a half-dozen adults and their children were still socializing inside the house about 12:30 a.m. Monday when four armed men burst through the unlocked front door, demanding money, Johnson said.

Johnson said the house was randomly targeted probably because it was the only one on the street with lights still on. None of the occupants of the house were armed, he said.

“The suspects identified themselves as police officers but had no identifying patches or badges,” he said. “They demanded money and were threatening the people inside.”

The suspects split up inside the house, with one firing shots at an adult male as he chased him to the back. The suspect missed the man but when his accomplices heard the shots, they returned fire, thinking the occupants were defending themselves, Johnson said.

The exchange of bullets, one of which hit Reneaud, must have scared the suspects, who left empty-handed.

“There is no such thing as a good home invasion but this one was worse than normal,” he said. “Everything blew up on them and they fled the house before they could get anything from anyone.”

Johnson said police are working “good leads” in the case. He was stunned at the burst of violence in the DeKalb County community of less than 10,000.

“This is the first case we’ve had like this,” he said. “We all want to think we’re safe in our own homes.”
    Last edited by DaveH; January 28th, 2009 at 06:57 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Why would there still be an 8 years old birthday party going on at 12:30 am.........parents were probably looking for a reason to booze it up.........let their guard down........I think there is probably more to this story.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

"About a half-dozen adults and their children were still socializing inside the house about 12:30 a.m."

When I got to this sentence I stopped reading.
    I am parent of a 6 and 2 yr. old and have been to a diaper pail full of kid parties. They do not occur at the hour of midnight.
    Further children that _young_ are, and should be, dead asleep in bed.

This sounds to me like neighborhood shenanigans at a house that isn't owned by Mr. Rogers nor Elmo.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Links