Judge says citizens should buy a gun for protection

This is a discussion on Judge says citizens should buy a gun for protection within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Good advise for unarmed citizens 1/28/2009 - Judge Says Citizens Need To Buy Guns To Protect Themselves - Breaking News - Chattanoogan.com...

Thread: Judge says citizens should buy a gun for protection

Judge says citizens should buy a gun for protection

2. Remove Ads

jfl
    Is it my imagination, or are there more and more people in LE, legal system and even the media that support the self-defense concept ???
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

I have to agree. The stats we came up with on another post show that as a group, CCL holders commit less crime than police officers.

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    Is it my imagination, or are there more and more people in LE, legal system and even the media that support the self-defense concept ???
    I sometimes get that same feeling, like there are more and more people in the legal community that seem to be getting it finally.

That would be nice.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

There should be a law that law abiding citizens with no felony convictions should own a gun," the judge said
    I know many fine police officers. But we can't depend on the police to protect us any more."
    It looks like that judge means business. Its always good to hear a public figure say something like that.
    When in doubt empty the magazine.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

While I agree that every citizen should have a weapon, the question is how many are willing to pull the trigger on another human.
    Remember, most people find it hard to kill another human.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Quote Originally Posted by concealed View Post
    I have to agree. The stats we came up with on another post show that as a group, CCL holders commit less crime than police officers.
    link? I would be very interested in that thread. Thanks!

Senior Moderator
    Remember, most people find it hard to kill another human

and rightfully so...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

TOF
    Quote Originally Posted by dpesec View Post
    The bad guy doesn't know which type is pointing a gun at them.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

This same judge stated the following abvout his town in 2007...

---

Judge's Warning To Chattanooga: Gangs Growing, Getting Meaner
    March 14,2007
    Seth Seymour

A Hamilton County judge issued a stern and alarming warning Wednesday to the city of Chattanooga as men suspected in a gang shooting appear in his courtroom. General Sessions Court Judge Bob Moon says the Scenic City's gang problems are getting worse, and there's no sign of improvement. In front of the suspects and their lawyers, he gave a very scary prediction: "Our city will have more gang members than law enforcement officers," Moon said. Judge Moon says no matter how much city officials deny increasing gang activity, the proof comes from his courtroom. "It appears this court is presiding over a homicide a week in the East Lake area," he said. It's a somber statistic he warned about two years ago.

"I indicated if something was not done, the blood in the streets and pockets of crime would continue, and they have in significant numbers." It was April 2005 during a similar trial when Judge Moon drew heat for the following idea: "It's past time for the African American community and its leaders and public officials to organize a stop the violence summit."

According to Moon Wednesday, "I was criticized for that suggestion, and the only thing I've seen since then are pep rallies and grandstanding all of which subside at sundown."

"I think Judge Moon is partially right," said community activist Sherman Matthews, "but you just can't have law enforcement."

Because police, Matthews says, cannot alone change the thought pattern of the people causing trouble.

"They're devaluing life," he said. "Therefore, we have to say they have no hope. They see no way out. They don't see a way to have a family, to have a decent job."

And he says that leads to more crime, something Judge Moon fears for Chattanooga.

"I'm concerned about this city," Moon said.

Source - Top Stories: Judge's Warning To Chattanooga: Gangs Growing, Getting Meaner, moon, judge, city - www.newschannel9.com

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dpesec View Post
    Yup, but those are not the people we have to worry about. Fortunately, even the prescience of a gun in the home can do a lot.

25 years murder-free in 'Gun Town USA'
    25 years murder-free
    in 'Gun Town USA'
    Crime rate plummeted after law
    required firearms for residents

As the nation debates whether more guns or fewer can prevent tragedies like the Virginia Tech Massacre, a notable anniversary passed last month in a Georgia town that witnessed a dramatic plunge in crime and violence after mandating residents to own firearms.

In March 1982, 25 years ago, the small town of Kennesaw – responding to a handgun ban in Morton Grove, Ill. – unanimously passed an ordinance requiring each head of household to own and maintain a gun. Since then, despite dire predictions of "Wild West" showdowns and increased violence and accidents, not a single resident has been involved in a fatal shooting – as a victim, attacker or defender.

The crime rate initially plummeted for several years after the passage of the ordinance, with the 2005 per capita crime rate actually significantly lower than it was in 1981, the year before passage of the law.

Prior to enactment of the law, Kennesaw had a population of just 5,242 but a crime rate significantly higher (4,332 per 100,000) than the national average (3,899 per 100,000). The latest statistics available – for the year 2005 – show the rate at 2,027 per 100,000. Meanwhile, the population has skyrocketed to 28,189.

By comparison, the population of Morton Grove, the first city in Illinois to adopt a gun ban for anyone other than police officers, has actually dropped slightly and stands at 22,202, according to 2005 statistics. More significantly, perhaps, the city's crime rate increased by 15.7 percent immediately after the gun ban, even though the overall crime rate in Cook County rose only 3 percent. Today, by comparison, the township's crime rate stands at 2,268 per 100,000.

This was not what some predicted.

In a column titled "Gun Town USA," Art Buchwald suggested Kennesaw would soon become a place where routine disagreements between neighbors would be settled in shootouts. The Washington Post mocked Kennesaw as "the brave little city … soon to be pistol-packing capital of the world." Phil Donahue invited the mayor on his show.

Reuters, the European news service, today revisited the Kennesaw controversy following the Virginia Tech Massacre.

Police Lt. Craig Graydon said: "When the Kennesaw law was passed in 1982 there was a substantial drop in crime … and we have maintained a really low crime rate since then. We are sure it is one of the lowest (crime) towns in the metro area." Kennesaw is just north of Atlanta.

The Reuters story went on to report: "Since the Virginia Tech shootings, some conservative U.S. talk show hosts have rejected attempts to link the massacre to the availability of guns, arguing that had students been allowed to carry weapons on campus someone might have been able to shoot the killer."

Virginia Tech, like many of the nation's schools and college campuses, is a so-called "gun-free zone," which Second Amendment supporters say invites gun violence – especially from disturbed individuals seeking to kill as many victims as possible.

Cho Seung-Hui murdered 32 and wounded another 15 before turning his gun on himself.

Quote Originally Posted by jbone View Post
    link? I would be very interested in that thread. Thanks!
    Try here.

Links