Armed home invasion rattles Lynchburg neighborhood

This is a discussion on Armed home invasion rattles Lynchburg neighborhood within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Armed home invasion rattles Lynchburg neighborhood | WSLS 10 Armed home invasion rattles Lynchburg neighborhood LYNCHBURG NEWS & ADVANCE Published: January 29, 2009 An armed ...

Thread: Armed home invasion rattles Lynchburg neighborhood

VIP Member

Thumbs down Armed home invasion rattles Lynchburg neighborhood

Armed home invasion rattles Lynchburg neighborhood | WSLS 10

LYNCHBURG NEWS & ADVANCE
    Published: January 29, 2009

An armed home robbery disturbed a usually peaceful city neighborhood Tuesday night, bringing police to the area and shaking up residents.

According to a news release from the Lynchburg Police Department, the incident happened at about 9:15 p.m., in the 200 block of Reno Drive, in the Old Graves Mill Road area.

One of two residents in the home answered the door and was met by two men, one armed with an “assault-type” rifle, according to the release, and wearing a mask. The other suspect was unarmed, police said.

Police said that another suspect — who was not armed but participated in the robbery — has been identified, although police are not yet releasing that suspect’s name.

Cindy Barber, a nearby neighbor, said Wednesday that she was watching an action movie with her husband when she heard the shots.

“I heard one shot, which I kind of dismissed as a cracking branch or something,” she said, referring to the ice that had accumulated on the trees.

“Shortly after, like about 10 seconds, I heard two more shots,” she said. “Bam, bam! And that sounded like gunfire.”

No one was injured during the robbery, police said.

The victims said the intruders left the scene in what appeared to be a white Dodge Intrepid, according to police.

Barber, who has lived at her house for about 10 years, said neighbors hope the robbery was an isolated incident.

“I’m surprised that this has happened, and I don’t know what we can really do about it,” Barber said.

She described the neighborhood as quiet. She said neighbors have talked about the crime and are hoping to keep a better watch on the neighborhood, to prevent similar incidents from happening again.

“Just the fact that we’re all speaking with each other and communicating is important, and is reassuring,” she said.

Barber said though the neighbors are taking the incident seriously, she isn’t planning to do things much differently than she has for the past 10 years.

“I think because it’s just the one incident,” she said, “I’m not going to put my house up for sale or anything.”

Anyone with information on the incident should call the Lynchburg Police Department at 455-6054 or Central Virginia Crime Stoppers at (888) 798-5900.
    Want to bet that the 's
    “I’m not going to put my house up for sale or anything.”
    Includes or doesn't include ?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I'm still surprised there are people who just open doors without using the peephole, or looking out the window, or SOMETHING. Some people will just open the door as wide as it will open whenever anyone, whoever it is, knocks or rings the doorbell.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    I'm still surprised there are people who just open doors without using the peephole, or looking out the window, or SOMETHING. Some people will just open the door as wide as it will open whenever anyone, whoever it is, knocks or rings the doorbell.
    Yeah, innocence lost.

Reno Drive isn't in a bad area. But then again the BGs don't always feed on just local cuisine either. Between this, and a recent shooting at the city library, I might even be able to get my wife to start carrying. She takes my son to the library for some of the programs. Unfortunately the library isn't the best part of town to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by the article
    Barber, who has lived at her house for about 10 years, said neighbors hope the robbery was an isolated incident
    Isn't the first in a series always an isolated incident??
    --never fight with an idiot, for he'll bring you down to his level and beat you by experience.--

"Stupid is forever. You can't change stupidity." - Temple's Basketball Coach John Chaney to the home crowd

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    You guys missed the "assualt type rifle"...another media dig for AWB.

Rick

No, I didn't. I already got nipped in another thread for griping about the media fear mongering by placing emphasis on that little tidbit.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I lived in the 300 block of Reno Drive in the late 70's and it was an upper middle class neighborhood then. A doctor lived across the street and the last time I was in that area it didn't look bad at all...

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    I live in a decent middle class neighborhood with a "neighborhood watch" sign here and there. I asked about it when we moved in and found out it was a defunct org. I'm trying to get something started, but I run into the same mentality as the article..."Can't happen here / nothings happened yet / don't want to change my routine". Talk about aggravating.

It's unfortunate that it takes multiple robberies/rapes/murders/etc for the sheeple to open their eyes.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I might give people a hard time about carrying at home and such, but I actually do believe in keeping one close by where I'm sitting or if I have to answer the door, it's at my side and I always ask who's there if the door is shut, if open, I keep the glass door locked (my wife is anal on me with that LOL). So I can see, but my weapon is sitting right next to me out of sight.

I agree, there is no safe place now a days, some are safer then others by location alone, but no places is 100% safe anymore. Heck I finally convinced my mother in law to let me show her how to use the Mossberg she had, it's locked, loaded and ready to rock for her. Going to buy her a small 38 that she can handle better.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    No, I didn't. I already got nipped in another thread for griping about the media fear mongering by placing emphasis on that little tidbit.
    ..with tubbies :))

Rick

Links