victim shot back to survive

victim shot back to survive

This is a discussion on victim shot back to survive within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ambush victim shot back to survive -- dailypress.com Ambush victim shot back to survive Assailants flee after wounding a pistol-packing masonry company owner six times. ...

VIP Member

Thumbs up victim shot back to survive

Ambush victim shot back to survive -- dailypress.com

Ambush victim shot back to survive
    Assailants flee after wounding a pistol-packing masonry company owner six times.

By DAVID MACAULAY | 247-7838
    January 10, 2009

HAMPTON - When Robert Toombs returned to his Hampton home Monday night they were waiting for him in his yard.

The first bullet hit the 68-year-old masonry contractor in the back as he got out his key to open the door. He swung around and fired his own weapon at a shadowy figure wearing a hoodie in the yard.

By the time his attackers ran away, Toombs' body was riddled with six bullets.

But he survived the attack.

"All the bullets went in and came out. They missed the vital organs," Toombs' daughter Tina Dembry said Thursday.

Toombs, who was shot in his face, back, both legs and a hand, is recovering in a local hospital but is due to have surgery on his cheek where one of the gunshot wounds has caused swelling.

"He was hit six times," his son, Robert Toombs Jr., said.

Toombs' son and daughter said their father returned to his home on Shell Road near the intersection with Worster Street about 7:30 p.m. Monday. He parked his truck in the rear yard. He did not initially see his assailants because a number of vehicles are parked behind his home.

Toombs was hit by a bullet when he was about to unlock the back door.

But during the attack he fought back. Dembry said her father carries a .38 pistol with him for fear of robbery and it saved his life.

"He carries a weapon with him because he often does have money on him," she said.

Toombs is the owner of RA Toombs Masonry, a company that has been operating in Hampton for 34 years.

Dembry said her father believes he hit the only man he saw shooting at him.

"It's just a feeling he got," she said.

Neighbors told Dembry they saw four men fleeing from the scene.

Toombs' son and daughter don't know why their father was a target, but believe the men intended to kill him.

"It may have been a botched robbery," said Robert Toombs Jr.

Dembry said her father is tough even though he's 68 years old.

After he was shot he walked down the alley by his home to knock on the window and attract the attention of his wife, she said.

And Toombs insisted on walking into Hampton's Sentara CarePlex hospital, after his son drove him there. He was later transferred to Riverside Regional Medical Center, the Peninsula's trauma center.

Dembry said the community on Shell Road is shocked by the shooting.

"He's very lucky to be alive," she said.

Although police have no description of the suspects, his family believe a gun shot wound could lead to one of the attackers being caught.

"As far as the victim shooting back, that is a matter that is still under investigation," police spokeswoman Allison Good said. "There is no suspect description at this time."

Can you help?
    Anyone with information about the shooting can call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP (1-888-562-5887).

"As far as the victim shooting back, that is a matter that is still under investigation," police spokeswoman Allison Good said.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

great post

"He carries a weapon with him because he often does have money on him," she said.
    Anymore, having wads of cash isn't the only motivation. Only Lucifer and these cowards know why they attack people, but it can be for anything, including merely for the juice of taking someone down. That's why I carry: I refuse.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

"As far as the victim shooting back, that is a matter that is still under investigation," police spokeswoman Allison Good said.

Exactly what is there to investigate?

Michael

And Toombs insisted on walking into Hampton's Sentara CarePlex hospital, after his son drove him there.
    Now that's one tough old man.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post

Exactly what is there to investigate?

Michael
    More pro-gun SWVA and other more rural areas, probably nothing.

More anti-gun, crime ridden Tidewater, they will try to think of something.

One of the recurring theme among many Tidewater, NOVA and Richmond politicians is that guns may make sense in some areas of Virginia, but not here in their back yard. They expect the be safe little w/o any responsibility for themselves.

They just don't get it. It isn't working. Not there. Not DC. Not NYC. Not England. Not NZ. etc.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links