Firefighter/EMT shot by patient during a call

This is a discussion on Firefighter/EMT shot by patient during a call within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Thousand Islands Rescue Official Web Page TIERS VOLUNTEER MARK DAVIS SHOT, KILLED IN CAPE VINCENT ALEXANDRIA BAY, N.Y. — The New York State Police at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefighter/EMT shot by patient during a call

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Firefighter/EMT shot by patient during a call

Thousand Islands Rescue Official Web Page

TIERS VOLUNTEER MARK DAVIS SHOT, KILLED IN CAPE VINCENT

ALEXANDRIA BAY, N.Y. — The New York State Police at Alexandria Bay are investigating a homicide that occurred at approximately 11:58 p.m., January 30, at 114 South Esseltyne Street in Cape Vincent.

The victim, Mark B. Davis, 25 of 172 James St., Cape Vincent, was serving as a volunteer EMT for the Cape Vincent Volunteer Fire Department, when they responded to the address for a medical emergency. The victim and two other EMTs were at the residence treating Christopher G. Burke, age 25, formerly of Sherrill, N.Y., who now resides at the Esseltyne Street address.

Mr. Burke became agitated and retrieved a high powered rifle from the bedroom of the residence, police said. As the EMT’s were retreating from the residence, it is alleged that Burke fired two rounds, one at the victim striking and killing him, they said. The suspect then ran from the residence and was tackled and held down by another EMT who was also at the residence.

Clayton Police Department Officer Robin Pearce was first on the scene and took the suspect into custody with the assistance of Alexandria Bay Officer Jerry Delosh.

EMTs at the scene fervently attempted life saving measures, and continued these efforts during the ambulance transport to the Samaritan Medical Center in Watertown, NY where he was pronounced deceased.

After consultation with District Attorney Cindy F. Intschert and Chief Assistant District Attorney Kristyna Mills, the suspect is being arraigned this morning on charges of second-degree murder and fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon.

In addition to Clayton and Alexandria Bay Police Departments, Clayton Volunteer Fire Department, Guilfoyle Ambulance Service and Tiers Ambulance Service assisted at the scene, and Cape Vincent Police Department is assisting in the ensuing investigation.

News 10 Now | 24 Hour Local News | TOP STORIES | Firefighter shot and killed in Cape Vincent

Firefighter shot and killed in Cape Vincent
    Updated: 01/31/2009 03:58 PM
    By: Web Staff

CAPE VINCENT, N.Y. -- The man accused of killing a volunteer EMT in Cape Vincent has been charged with second degree murder. Christopher Burke is accused of shooting and killing Mark Davis after Davis and two other paramedics came to his home on Esseltyne Street shortly before midnight Friday night to try and provide medical assistance.

Police described what they believe happened at a press conference Saturday morning.

"The suspect was being treated in the living room of the residence. He fled into the bedroom. They already knew that there were weapons in
    [Mark Davis]
    Mark Davis
    the house. They heard the action of a weapon being activated, and at that time the EMTs tried to retreat from the residence," said Mark Lincoln with the State Police.

Police say Burke fired two shots, one of which hit Davis. Davis was later pronounced dead at Samaritan Medical Center in Watertown.

At the arraignment, Burke said he had no idea what was going on at the time of the shooting. He is being held at the Jefferson County Jail without bail.
    Volunteer firefighter shot and killed in Cape Vincent
    State Police are investigating the shooting death of a volunteer firefighter and EMT in Cape Vincent. It happened on the 100 block of Esseltyne Street around 11:30 Friday night.
    Attached Images
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

That's sad. Trying to save a life, and he gets his life taken.

I see the perp (Burke) is already starting his defense:
    At the arraignment, Burke said he had no idea what was going on at the time of the shooting.
    I hope Burke is held accountable, regardless of whether he can remember or not, regardless of whether he was on drugs or not. He retrieved the weapon, he aimed (or not), he fired. He is accountable.

Are they taking volunteers to insert the needle in his arm??
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Where are the schmucks who have been saying that EMTs should not be allowed to carry?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I ain't buying his BS he got the gun chambered a round and then ran out and fired at the emt's running,if he was so deranged how could he be coherent enough to get a gun and operate it.This is why even EMT's need to be armed,they carry drugs in the ambulance etc. but had they been armed might of turned out different
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My heart goes out to the family. As a former volunteer EMT II from Alaska, I completely believe EMT's should be allowed to be armed. They are a target to the drunks, and drug users they come across. A very sad story.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

I have a firefighter friend who goes on aid car calls all the time. A couple years ago they got a call and went to the apartment of a guy who was on something. Long story short, he and his EMT partner ended up in a knock down, drag out fight for survival with the "patient".

My friend is 6' 4", 230, in great shape, his partner is almost as big and they barely got out of there. Fortunately the BG had no weapons other than drug-fueled rage. They finally made it outside the apartment as the cops rolled up.

And....no weapons allowed for firefighters in his district.

That is truly sad and needless. I commend the tackling EMT on keeping his head and 1. tackling the nut job and 2. not beating him senseless once he had him (thus getting himself in trouble).

Not to get in to the whole debate again over training for EMT's/Firefighters carrying, because I do think they should be able to carry just like any other person. But due to them having a very different job than say me, in IT, they need extra training for their high stress jobs like provided to LEO and the Military.

If one of these EMT's was carrying we may very well be reading a whole different news article.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Where are the schmucks who have been saying that EMTs should not be allowed to carry?

No problem here with Paramedics CCW. I did in the 80s when I worked a Metro FD. The department didn't know, but I would have much rather been fighting for my job....then fighting for my life.

My Fire Department didn't know, but my brother Law Enforcement did and had no problem with it.

What kind of mother would I have been to take chances with my life and possibly leaving my daughter without a mother.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

A couple years back I was on my way to a medical call for a person with chest pain. What the dispatchers didnt know was that his chest pain was from getting stressed out over an argument with his very mentally unstable brother. While pulling up to the scene about 200 feet from the house the brother stopped us while on his bicycle, and told us that if we go any closer he has a gun and hes going to kill us. He then rode his bike back up the street out of view and started smoking a cigarette. The police arrived a few minutes later and arrested him. He wasnt armed but he had a loaded gun in the house.

Sorry for being off topic, but I thought I'd share.

ME two Being a EMT and Firefighter for 15 Years my heart goes out to him, and His Family.

VIP Member
    Man that's really sad. I wonder what kind of drugs Mr. Burke was on?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

My EMT instructor also instructed self protection oriented martial arts.

Emergency Response may have crime aspects so that PERSONAL and TEAM SAFETY were always emphasized to the max...with scenarios ... it stuck.

After our final tests the class was given a 2 hour SD class and every EMT graduate was also GIVEN a free one day class. Those of us who've worked urban understand.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

News update

It seems that the initial responders may have been on scene prior to any official vehicles (or radios) and, as volunteers responding from home, may not have been in uniform. This is my speculation only...

Watertown Daily Times | Slain EMT's 2 colleagues don't want 'hero' label

Slain EMT's 2 colleagues don't want 'hero' label
    By DAVID C. SHAMPINE
    TIMES STAFF WRITER
    THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2009

CAPE VINCENT — Two men who were on a medical call with Mark B. Davis the night he was killed here do not want to be identified as heroes, according to Jefferson County's outgoing director of fire and emergency management.

State police disagree.

"I and state police consider them heroes for what they do every day and obviously for what they did that night," senior Investigator Colleen M. O'Neill, Alexandria Bay station, said Wednesday.

Glenn W. Morrison, who leaves his county job Friday to be a full-time paramedic with Thousand Islands Emergency Rescue Service, continued Wednesday not to name the two men who were with Mr. Davis, 25, when he was fatally shot late on Jan. 30 at 114 S. Esseltyne St. He was withholding the names, he said, at the requests of the two men, both 19, and their families.

"Their wishes are that they both not be identified as heroes," he said. "They are still reeling from this tragedy."

He added, however, "They did an excellent job, above all expectations."

One of the men is an emergency medical technician, and the other is a new member of the fire department who was on the scene to assist in carrying EMT equipment and a patient if needed, Mr. Morrison said.

The three, along with Douglas J. Putnam, ambulance foreman and driver with the Cape Vincent Fire Department's emergency squad, responded to the apartment of Christopher G. Burke, 25, and Trisha M. Crosbie, 23, to treat Mr. Burke for difficulty in breathing. They initially went to their ambulance garage, but found that the emergency vehicle had a flat tire, Mr. Morrison said.

They called for TIERS to respond with an ambulance and proceeded in their private vehicles to the house on South Esseltyne Street.

While Mr. Davis and the other EMT treated Burke, who was said to be alert, Burke bolted away from them, grabbed a rifle and started shooting. Mr. Morrison said the three rescue personnel rushed to the rear door, according to Investigator O'Neill. The two 19-year-olds made it outdoors, but Mr. Davis was at the doorway when he was felled by a shot, Investigator O'Neill said.

Mr. Putnam, 73, was outdoors when the shooting occurred. He tackled Burke outside the house and "struggled to contain him" until a Clayton police officer arrived to take him into custody.

Mr. Morrison said Mr. Putnam also resisted being identified for his role in Burke's capture.

Burke was injured during his scuffle with Mr. Putnam, according to Jefferson County Sheriff John P. Burns. He did not elaborate about the injury. Burke, who is charged with second-degree murder and fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon, remained in Samaritan Medical Center, Watertown, under police guard Wednesday as he continued treatment for the injury, the sheriff said. He declined comment about mental evaluation, which is also believed to be ongoing.

Mr. Morrison originally had planned to leave his county job on Feb. 6, but extended his departure to this Friday because the arrangements for the Davis funeral last week precluded work he needed to finish in the fire and emergency management office.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I wonder what kind of injuries/illness they were treating. It seems odd that he would call 911, and then do something like this while recieving treatment. What a sad story
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links