Woman saved from dog attack

This is a discussion on Woman saved from dog attack within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Passer-by kills dog as it attacks Iowa woman, 77 DES MOINES, Iowa A good Samaritan armed with a pocketknife stabbed a dog to death ...

Thread: Woman saved from dog attack

Passer-by kills dog as it attacks Iowa woman, 77

DES MOINES, Iowa A good Samaritan armed with a pocketknife stabbed a dog to death as it was attacking a 77-year-old woman in her front yard, officials said.

Ann Lyon, who was with her own dog Sunday when an American bulldog attacked, was wearing a leather coat that protected her from serious injury, authorities in Council Bluffs said.

Lyon said Monday that the bulldog knocked her to the ground and then went after her dog Casey, a 4-year-old miniature Doberman pinscher.

"My main concern was that dog was so big and so heavy that I know if he got ahold of Casey that would have been it for her," she said. "I was trying to shield her from this dog and he was all over me."

She estimated the attacking dog weighed about 90 pounds.

Kevin Daub told Omaha, Neb., television station WOWT that he stopped his truck and jumped out when he noticed the bulldog attack Lyon.

"I just heard her screaming 'Help! help me! help me!' so I ran over and tried pulling it off her," he said. He grew tired while struggling with the dog, so he pulled out his pocketknife and killed it, he said.

A telephone message left for Daub by The Associated Press on Monday was not immediately returned.

The dead dog was to be tested for rabies.

Galen Barrett, Council Bluffs chief animal control officer, said the bulldog was properly licensed and had not caused any problems before it got off its owner's property.

The name of the dog's owner, who lives in the same neighborhood as Lyon, was not released. The investigation was continuing, Barrett said. He said charges, if filed, could range from a dog at large to harboring a dangerous dog, both misdemeanors punishable by fines.

Authorities said Lyon didn't require medical care. Her dog also was uninjured.

Said Lyon: "The only thing I could think of was covering my dog so he wouldn't kill her."
    Too bad she doesn't realise that maybe she needs to thinik about protecting herself,yelling help may not get the same results or during a home invasion somebody will not be able to come to her rescue
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

That lady would have been in serious trouble if the man did not have a knife. An American bulldog looks like a pit bull on steroids. Some of the hog hunters here use them.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Would have been a lot shorter fight if he had been armed.........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Well two things come to mind here. I agree, being armed would have made this easier. The 2nd thing that comes to mind is the lady while in danger was due to her protecting her dog, the dog was after her dog, not specifically her since he said he grew tired of trying to pull it off her which means it was human aggressive it was animal aggressive or it would have turned on him in a heartbeat.

Just a casual observation. Good job on his part either way.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Well two things come to mind here. I agree, being armed would have made this easier. The 2nd thing that comes to mind is the lady while in danger was due to her protecting her dog, the dog was after her dog, not specifically her since he said he grew tired of trying to pull it off her which means it was human aggressive it was animal aggressive or it would have turned on him in a heartbeat.

Just a casual observation. Good job on his part either way.
    Meant to say not necessarily human aggressive, but animal aggressive.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Even if he were armed, I think the knife was the right call. With the lady in such close proximity I wouldn't want to risk the shot.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swaggs View Post
    Even if he were armed, I think the knife was the right call. With the lady in such close proximity I wouldn't want to risk the shot.
    Exactly my thoughts. Just because you have a gun doesn't Always make it the best option. In this case I think using the knife was the right choice of weapons. My only concern was why he waited so long to use it.

Kevin Daub is owed a steak diner

BJC
    Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Kevin Daub is owed a steak diner
    +1. While we can examine the situation, based on the information we have, in an attempt to glean understanding in how to better react to a similar situation; let us remember that we weren't there. Hindsight, while not always 20/20, usually has a better view of the whole situation.
    Personally, I commend the man for taking action to help this lady. I don't know, nor can I, his exact thoughts at that moment. However, if I may presume, I don't think his mentality would be exactly the same as is common here. We, as armed citizens, train and prepare with the mentality of "neutralize the threat". This man might be like the common folks around us, whose first response to a dangerous situation is to get the victim out of/away from danger. This is highly probable as the article states that he went for his knife only AFTER growing tired of trying to wrestle the dog off the lady. These are two different mentalities and result in two reactions as we see here.
    I wrote all of that to say, after he gets the steak dinner, he should get his choice of dessert to top it off!

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Exactly my thoughts. Just because you have a gun doesn't Always make it the best option. In this case I think using the knife was the right choice of weapons. My only concern was why he waited so long to use it.
    This thread has convinced me that I need to get a nice fixed blade knife.

Michael

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    This thread has convinced me that I need to get a nice fixed blade knife.

Michael
    While a fixed blade is nice, it is not always practical or legal in some locations. I carry a 3" bladed folder that I can open with the flick of the wrist, or use the thumb assist on the blade. Have been looking at the Gerber F.A.S.T. system knives also. If I find the right one may have to buy it.

Attacking dog doesn't get any chances. I will yell as I am coming to help an if that doesn't scare it off, it better turn on me, because I am about to open it's throat up. If the victim is clear enough for a shot I will do that first. Gotta keep your options open and be prepared.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Links