Robbery victim begs for life; perp puts another five rounds into him

This is a discussion on Robbery victim begs for life; perp puts another five rounds into him within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ronald Hill was out to get a wallet, police said. Now, he's got a murder rap on his hands. He did it, prosecutors say, with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ronald Hill was out to get a wallet, police said.

Now, he's got a murder rap on his hands.

He did it, prosecutors say, with five bullets fired into his victim, who lay wounded on the ground.

Hill was at the American Legion bar at 976 Concordia Ave. in St. Paul about 1 a.m. Saturday, police said. The bar was a favorite watering hole of Jeffery Lamont Logan, 44, who was there with his cousin.

When Logan and his cousin went out to the parking lot, Hill also left the bar and confronted them there, according to a criminal complaint.

Then this happened, according to the complaint:

Hill demanded, pointing a Beretta 9 mm semiautomatic pistol, "Give me your wallet you know what the (expletive) this is."

The cousin removed what little was in his pockets: a $5 bill. But Logan who was unarmed fought back, pulling Hill's T-shirt over his head while Hill aimed his pistol at him.

Logan was hit. He tried to run. Hill pursued him, firing several shots as Logan held up his hands.

Logan fell to the ground, saying, "I'm hit!"

Hill ran up to Logan, who was on the ground and raising his hands, saying, "No, man, no!"

"Are you seriously going to do this?" Logan asked, according to witnesses.

Logan was hit six times. Paramedics found him lying in a nearby alley and pronounced him dead.

Hill, 20, of West St. Paul, was charged Monday with second-degree intentional murder. He was being held in Ramsey County jail with bail set at $1 million.
    "This was a senseless, cold-blooded murder of a defenseless victim," said Ramsey County Attorney Susan Gaertner. "It defies understanding."

Police also arrested two other men who were with Hill in a getaway car that crashed Saturday. Elston Marc Williamson, 28, and Henry Marcello Reed, 27, both of St. Paul, were released upon further investigation, the Ramsey County attorney's office said.

According to the criminal complaint, Williamson ran into the other two men at the bar. When he left and got into his Lincoln Town Car, he told police, he saw Hill pointing a gun with laser sights at an "old guy" with a second "older guy" next to him. It looked like Hill and one of the men were having an argument, then he saw Hill shoot the man, Williamson said. He then saw Hill stand over the victim and fire several more shots.

Reed initially denied knowing anything about the murder. He then told police he saw Hill trying to rob two "old guys." He saw Logan try to fight back by pulling on Hill's shirt and hitting Hill in the face, but Logan was running toward his car when Hill shot him, Reed said.

Hill then stood over Logan, emptying five more bullets into the man as he lay defenseless, Reed said.

Police said Reed and Hill then got into Williamson's car. Williamson claimed he was forced at gunpoint to be the getaway driver.

Officers trailed the Lincoln as it sped east on Carroll Avenue near Victoria Street, running stop signs along the way. Police caught up to the car when it crashed at the roundabout at Laurel Avenue and St. Albans Street.

Williamson said he had been kidnapped and purposely crashed the car. The other two men ran, but were tracked down with the help of a police dog.

Police found several 9 mm shell casings at the murder scene. They also found a Beretta 9 mm pistol with laser sights and an Iver Johnson revolver under a house on the route Reed and Hill had taken when they ran. Both were loaded. Reed denied having a gun or shooting a gun.

Hill has no previous convictions, according to state records.

Logan was a regular at the American Legion bar, which was in his neighborhood, said his brother, Charles Walker Jr. He was single, with no children, but had many family members he cared for deeply, Walker said.

Born with just one hand, Logan nevertheless played basketball and football and ran track at Highland Park High School, Walker said. He later attended St. Paul College and worked for Deluxe Corp. but was laid off a few years ago.

Wounded, he begged for mercy in a St. Paul parking lot. His killer refused, shooting him 5 more times. - TwinCities.com

I guess we can only wonder how this would have turned out, had Mr. Logan or his cousin had the presence of mind to be armed. We're currently at under 1% of MN residents having permits, and the number is falling.

This happened only a few miles from my house. I think we can all agree that we're going to see an explosion of these types of crimes in the coming days....especially with the cuts in social programs that are sure to come.
    Attached Images
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Guy needs to fry, no doubt. If I had been in Logan's place, I don't think I'd have fought back immediately, with no help in sight, a gun in my face, and one hand. Give the guy credit, he had stones, but might be alive had he complied. Not saying he screwed up, but I'm guessing the perp was pretty pissed that he had the nads to hit him in the face and then ask him not to shoot. When you're dealing with thugs like this guy, I don't think you should be expecting chivalry or mercy once you offend their misplaced sense of honor.

Screwed for life. Choices, choices.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Slabsides45 View Post
    I don't think you should be expecting chivalry or mercy once you offend their misplaced sense of honor.
    Good point. From what little I understand about these dirt bags, all you have to do is look at them and you offend them. I've heard stories of people, riding through certain neighborhoods, being told "Don't even look anywhere but straight ahead. One look and you can be in trouble."

That said, the victim would probably have been better off if he had cooperated.

Sad.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

How the heck is this second-degree murder? And why did the police release his accomplices?

To Packin45, it's not the cut of 'social programs' that is going to cause crimes like this to go up, but the disarming of law-abiding citizens and the fact that the police and DA aren't doing their jobs and prosecuting these miscreants to the fullest extent of the law.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

In this case he shoulda complied and been a good witness,I'm thinking after leaving a bar he had some liquid courage that caused him an error in good judgement
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    the police and DA aren't doing their jobs and prosecuting these miscreants to the fullest extent of the law.
    Agreed, but what good does it do when they're back out on the street in 18 months? More than one change needs to take place.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

To a criminal, the victim is gift-wrapped free money. What do you do typically do with the wrapping of a gift?

Rip it apart and toss it away.

Appealing to the humanity of a thug to whom you're nothing but an object is pointless.

I'm glad the victim fought, but regrettably, he couldn't continue to fight.

And I hope the scumbag gets an E ticket to ride the lightning.

-JT

This guy should be chained and thrown into the deepest part of the ocean. Fish food is all he is good for.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    How the heck is this second-degree murder? And why did the police release his accomplices?.........
    I'm asking the same two questions. You can possibly make some argument for the driver being released on his statement that he was forced at gunpoint to be the getaway driver. But the other guy ran from the police after the car crashed. Why he was released is beyond comprehension.

As for the charge, this from Minnesota statues:
    609.185 MURDER IN THE FIRST DEGREE.

(a) Whoever does any of the following is guilty of murder in the first degree and shall be sentenced to imprisonment for life:

(1) causes the death of a human being with premeditation and with intent to effect the death of the person or of another;

(2) causes the death of a human being while committing or attempting to commit criminal sexual conduct in the first or second degree with force or violence, either upon or affecting the person or another;

(3) causes the death of a human being with intent to effect the death of the person or another, while committing or attempting to commit burglary, aggravated robbery, kidnapping, arson in the first or second degree, a drive-by shooting, tampering with a witness in the first degree, escape from custody, or any felony violation of chapter 152 involving the unlawful sale of a controlled substance;
    While you could argue that the first shot didn't involve "intent to effect the death of the person", the subsequent 5 shots while he was helpless on the ground surely did. Why this was charged as 2nd degree doesn't seem to make any sense.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

cvhoss, well, I guess the DA saw it for what it was; A misguided youth who simply made a mistake. My guess is that in a year or so when he gets out of prison he will have found God and completely changed his life around. He'll probably grow up to be a Congressmen or something.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

Who is John Galt?

Come on!
    Hill was darn near a saint who just got involved with the wrong crowd.
    He was a good church going, God fearing young man.
    He was abused as a child and society did nothing to protect him. He was just acting out to get even with society.
    It was a just terrible accident.
    It's was the victim fault for pulling the shirt up over Hill's head - Hill was afraid of the dark.
    He needs help not prison time. After all, he was a really nice guy deep down but who doesn't play well with others.
    It was the racist white honkies fault for taunting him the way he did.
    The gun was defective, it just kept on firing all by itself.

Where is you sympathy, compassion, and empathy for this nice young man?
    Think of what his family must be going through.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    In this case he shoulda complied and been a good witness,I'm thinking after leaving a bar he had some liquid courage that caused him an error in good judgement
    I agree.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

In this case he shoulda complied and been a good witness
    While that's another path, it's no guarantee of better success. In this instance, 20:20 hindsight can suggest the felon got bummed by being "attacked." But who's to say that he wouldn't have done the deed anyway, seeing as how he relished the act.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

In this case he shoulda complied and been a good witness
    No, he should have hit the guy harder and repeated as necessary. It would have helped if his friend didn't run away like a little...

Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links