Time Change

This is a discussion on Time Change within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Bedford Elementary student suspended over .45 pistol in backpack - Roanoke.com Bedford Elementary student suspended over .45 pistol in backpack A Bedford Elementary School student ...

Thread: Time Change

VIP Member

Thumbs down Time Change

Bedford Elementary student suspended over .45 pistol in backpack - Roanoke.com

Bedford Elementary student suspended over .45 pistol in backpack

A Bedford Elementary School student was suspended Monday after a teacher saw an unloaded gun fall out of the student's backpack.

The teacher confiscated the .45-caliber handgun and immediately notified the school resource officer and administrators, said school spokesman Ryan Edwards.

The resource officer took the student into custody. The child did not have ammunition.

The student's name, gender, age and grade are not being released to protect the student's identity, Edwards said. The school teaches children in the third through sixth grades.

Edwards did not know why the student brought the gun to school, but said he did not believe the student meant to hurt anyone.

"The mere fact that no ammunition was present is a clear indication that there was no intent of bodily harm," he said.

The student has been suspended at least until a hearing can be held to discuss further disciplinary action.

Bedford police are investigating.

-- Amanda Codispoti
    I can remember taking guns into school -- in grade school, a WWII souvenir (along with other artifacts) for show & tell and in high school, a rifle to refinish the stock in shop (a popular project).

Not to mention the common sight of long-guns in racks in the parking lot in HS.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

The gun may have been unloaded, but the parents need to be investigated to see how the child came upon this weapon. Now he may not have gotten it from home, but you have to start somewhere and hold whom ever responsible.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    We can remember all we want...what was then is not now, whether we like it or not. What was a kid doing with a .45 in the backpack? Sounds more like he was going to sell it illegally...thus ultimately harming our cause even more.

Rick

And that is why we homeschool. My children respect guns, they don't fear them. I don't want someone else teaching them otherwise.
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post
    And that is why we homeschool. My children respect guns, they don't fear them. I don't want someone else teaching them otherwise.
    You homeschool because of guns??? Where does a school "teach" to fear guns??? I thought respect for guns should be a parent responsibility.

I see pluses and minuses over homeschool...firearms shouldn't enter into the equation.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    We can remember all we want...what was then is not now, whether we like it or not. What was a kid doing with a .45 in the backpack? Sounds more like he was going to sell it illegally...thus ultimately harming our cause even more.
    Agreed on all points, 100%.

We do not live in the 50s/60s/70s or even 80s (my day when kids even then brought guns to school any more).
    In the real and current world this kind of thing is verboten, and every child as well as parent knows this.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Bandit,

I meant to say "one of the reasons...".

I live in Southern California. It's not unheard of for children to be exposed to subtle and even blatant anti-gun propaganda from teachers with nary a peep from parents (most of whom have no idea what little Mary and Johnny are learning). You're right, it is FAR from the only reason.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Bedford Elementary student suspended over .45 pistol in backpack...
    Is Garrett in school already?

Naah - come to think of it, though the caliber is right he would be carrying loaded, cocked-and-locked, IWB in a nice holster, and wouldn't drop it. Nevermind...
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

It would amaze you what is being taught in school these days. Gun Control is just a small portion. Al Gore has sent videos across the country pushing Global Warming (Now Called Climate Change). He is teaching your kids not to listen to their parents, only he knows best. I asked my 13 year old last night about what he was hearing. I didn't tell him what I had heard before I asked. I about had a heart attack just hearing the junk they are teaching these days. The ANTI's are conditioning your kids like Hitler did.

Just like a responsible, law abiding VA permit holder wouldn't carry onto school grounds, this was illegal per state law and I can't disagree with it being handled as such.
    Though I don't have a child yet, I'm not comfortable enough with the responsibility level of an elementary school student (<=12 yo), who I don't know, to be hunkydory with one having a firearm in school.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
    "Save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword" - Gen. R. E. Lee

Links