Pawn Shop Owner in Deep Kimchee

This is a discussion on Pawn Shop Owner in Deep Kimchee within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is how not to employ deadly force. Coroner: Victim in pawn shop shooting shot in back By Mary Manning Tue, Feb 3, 2009 (2:21 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pawn Shop Owner in Deep Kimchee

Thumbs down Pawn Shop Owner in Deep Kimchee

This is how not to employ deadly force.

Coroner: Victim in pawn shop shooting shot in back

By Mary Manning

Tue, Feb 3, 2009 (2:21 p.m.)
    Sun archives

* Pawn shop owner charged with murder (2-2-09)

Click to enlarge photo

Metro Police

Victor Park
    Fatal shooting
    Map data 2009 Tele Atlas - Terms of Use

A man who was shot to death by a pawn shop owner who told police he feared the man was going to rob him has been identified as 41-year-old Thomas Cola, the Clark County coroner's office said today.

The cause of death was listed as a penetrating gunshot wound to the back, a coroner's office spokeswoman said.

Metro Police arrested 59-year-old Victor Park, owner of the Sahara Pawn Shop at 2400 S. Jones Blvd., near Sahara Avenue. Police are still investigating the shooing that occurred at about 5:07 p.m. Friday at the pawn shop.

When patrol officers arrived at the business, they found a man suffering from a gunshot wound, police said. The man was taken to University Medical Center's Trauma Unit, where he was pronounced dead a short time later, police said.

Metro homicide detectives arrived at the scene and began a preliminary investigation that resulted in the arrest of Park.

Park was booked into the Clark County Detention Center on a charge of murder with a deadly weapon, according to detention center records.

2. Remove Ads

It has been proven that in the time a person starts to press the trigger a person can turn around. the story doesn't give enough info. The Pawn shop may very well be innocent and didn't shoot the BG in the back on purpose, but then he may have.

Without the guy actually robbing him ,just the fear he may be going to get robbed does not allow the use of deadly force,unless there was an actual attempted robbery this guy is in big trouble
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Feared he was going to rob him, not justification so far unless the story has more, the shooting the back for fear (going with just the story now here), this guy is toast.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I'm just going to guess that their was no video surveilance system in this pawn shop?
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

"Thought" was going to be robbed? No weapon? Shot in back? Not good!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Here is a link:

Pawn shop owner charged with murder - Las Vegas Sun

and at the bottom, a few interesting comments.

The shooter is Korean. (Of interest to me as my wife and business partner are Korean).

Koreans have uncanny intuition about people, from what I've seen.

It would be nice to know if the deceased had any weapon.

I think there is more to be told here.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Initial reporting doesn't look good. Let us know when more information comes out!
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    Koreans have uncanny intuition about people, from what I've seen.
    Not doubting it at all. I've seen field agents who were scary accurate at sizing people up. Unfortunately intuition isn't covered in law.

This case will all depend on if there is a weapon. If there was no weapon, and a counter between the two, I doubt the store owner can claim being afraid for his live. The direction of the shot shouldn't matter all that much if there was evidence of an actual robbery taking place.

Surveillance cameras would probably help but they can go either way.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Very sketchy details at this point but it doesn't sound like there was even a threat or attempt at robbery, only that he thought the guy was going to rob him. If that is in fact the case, this guy is in deep doo-doo and rightly so.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member

Other factors

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    This case will all depend on if there is a weapon. .
    Other factors need to be considered. Time of day, physical appearance (thuggish look, face covered, hands in pocket in threatening manner) and the veracity of any threats or demands made by the dead guy, neighborhood, past robberies.

You can almost bet a shop owner didn't just decide to off someone. Some sort of threatening act happened, and given disparity of size and age, this could well be a justifiable shoot.

Even if the dead guy was shot in the back, that doesn't mean he hadn't turned perhaps even as a wind up to jumping the proprietor.

Just thinking he was about to get robbed and shot him in back? Nah I'm not buying it. One thought that crossed my mind was the guy was shoplifting and the owner had finally had it and shot first when the guy tried to get away with his "items"
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Shooting a Person in the Back

Quote Originally Posted by BradyM77 View Post
    Just thinking he was about to get robbed and shot him in back? Nah I'm not buying it. One thought that crossed my mind was the guy was shoplifting and the owner had finally had it and shot first when the guy tried to get away with his "items"
    Shooting someone in the back would almost give the authorities that you may have shot them while he was trying to escape. Can we say "manslaughter" together? If he decides to leave the scene, that's fine with me!

VIP Member

Maybe more to this angle

Quote Originally Posted by BradyM77 View Post
    Maybe the guy was caught shoplifting, refused a demand to return merchandise, issued a verbal threat on the proprietor. All of which would --if there is disparity in size, age, physical stature and ability-- justify a reasonable fear for one's life.

We know nothing of the shopkeeper's side of the story at this point.

OTOH, I would like to give the investigating police some credit for getting the situation correctly understood---but wouldn't be surprised if they had no choice but to make an arrest and wait for a DA to make the next move--which could well be dismissal after a Grand Jury meets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links