BAD: Stabbing victim says attacker asked to use the phone

This is a discussion on BAD: Stabbing victim says attacker asked to use the phone within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Be prepared when opening your doors people. NEWARK — The man who was stabbed at a north Newark house said a person asking to use ...

Thread: BAD: Stabbing victim says attacker asked to use the phone

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

Be prepared when opening your doors people.

NEWARK
    — The man who was stabbed at a north Newark house said a person asking to use the phone was the man who stabbed him.

In the call to the Licking County 911 Center, the man, who said he was 23, said the person came to the front door at 365 Mallard Drive.

“He asked if he could use my phone. I told him I didn’t have one. And then he tried to barge in, I fought him, and he stabbed me. I closed the door and locked it,” the man told police as he waited for an ambulance.

He said he was stabbed in the stomach. The call was placed at 3:40 p.m.

Newark police Sgt. Barry Connell said crime scene investigators are in the house. The suspect is unknown at this time.

No further information was immediately released.

The man was taken to Licking Memorial Hospital, Newark Fire Assistant Chief Tom O’Brien said. He said the department doesn’t expect to need a helicopter transport to a Columbus hospital.

Check back with NewarkAdvocate.com for updates to this breaking story.
    <b>Stabbing victim says attacker asked to use phone</b> | newarkadvocate.com | The Newark Advocate
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Yep... it's gotten bad .. hasn't it.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Peep holes and side windows FTW. If it's someone you don't know, answer the door gun drawn and out of sight.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Yup. The days of answering a door sight-unseen, unsuspecting and unarmed are long gone.

I'm all for being a trusting soul. Feels good, doesn't it? Feels like the right thing to do, yes? Feels good when an entire community is known for its trusting nature.

Reality is, though, that criminals sense these things, too. They seek out chinks in the armor, and it's exactly these sorts of things (the desire to be helpful, trusting) that criminals leverage to get "inside" the defenses.

Reality is, it's hard to tell the difference between the real thing and someone who's skilled at getting inside.

Caveat emptor.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The bad part is that is a nice upper middle class part of town. Lots of good people. Our town is medium sized, less than 60,000 people and not alot of crime, but when crime happens, it happens. Being I am not more than a few miles from this place, it enforces my need to keep my firearm close at hand even when home.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Peep holes and side windows FTW. If it's someone you don't know, answer the door gun drawn and out of sight.
    Bingo ^^

I won't even open my door to someone I am not expecting to come by, and definitely not to someone I don't know until I have them identify them self through the door.
    My wife gives me crap saying that's rude. I don't care if it's rude. I'd rather a moment of rudeness than a week in the hospital holding my guts in, or death.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Steel outside security doors are the only way to go these days. Mine is even denser (has steel screening) than this one.

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    +1

i have a peep hole and have to make use of it a couple times. i always lock the outer glass screen door after i am in for the night too. if i would need to crack the door to see or speak i will...with my Kimber drawn, just in case.

you can never be too careful. even when i let my dog out in the back yard, i try to look out the window first and always have my gun on my person

I have peepholes,doorbell rang about noon time,I been expecting some brown trucks so I look out the peeper and see somebody standing there with a clip board,I don't do door to door salesmen etc. so I never answered and he walks over to the neighbours house
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Update

It is now reported that the report was false and that the "victim" was not stabbed by someone wanting to use his phone. No no other information was provided, but the "victim" admitted that he faked the report to police.

Police: Stabbing report was faked | newarkadvocate.com | The Newark Advocate

Police: Stabbing report was faked

February 6, 2009

* Read Comments(6)
    * Recommend
    * Print this page
    * E-mail this article
    o Del.icio.us
    o Facebook
    o Digg
    o Reddit
    o Newsvine
    o Buzz up!
    * Whats this?

NEWARK Newark police say a report that a man was stabbed by a stranger asking to use the phone was falsified.
    Advertisement

Police were called to 365 Mallard Drive Wednesday afternoon after a man called 911 and said he was stabbed by a man who came to the front door asking to use the phone. Alex Campbell, 23, was hospitalized; he told a 911 operator hed been stabbed in the stomach.

Police say there were several inconsistencies with the mans story, however. After two interviews, the man was confronted with the inconsistencies and allegedly admitted hed faked the report, police said in a press release issued this afternoon.

Detectives will meet with prosecutors to determine whether any charges will be filed.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Links