Police officer involved shooting investigated/not investigated...

This is a discussion on Police officer involved shooting investigated/not investigated... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I think this is a good lesson how difficult it can be to deal with the aftermath of a defensive shooting, and all the "arm ...

Thread: Police officer involved shooting investigated/not investigated...

Police officer involved shooting investigated/not investigated...

I think this is a good lesson how difficult it can be to deal with the aftermath of a defensive shooting, and all the "arm chair quarter backing" going on.

The link to the latest iteration of this saga is at the bottom. But here a quick recap of what happened so far from other news reports.

I call this a "defensive shooting", not sure if LEO involved shootings fit the category, but I think the situation does.

The LEO got called to an apparent burglary. As he arrives, 4 suspects flee the building. One appears to grab something from his wasteband. The officer shoots and one suspect is hit, not killed. The suspects are charged with burglary. The house was unoccupied at the time. Later, the owner claims that he gave these guys permission to enter. So the charges are dropped.

Now, the suspect is looking to sue the city. Lucky for him, the recently retired DA is on his side. This DA had long standing battles with the local police department. Given that his charges got dropped, it appears that he has good chances to get some money from the city (his mom says he smiles no more... I think that's worth one gazillion $ right there).

Soon after they announce the law suit, the new DA (who is a political opponent of the old DA) announces she is going to re-open the case. Looks like two juveniles in the case actually got prosecuted, while charges against two adult suspects got dropped.

What a weird city :-(. Luckily, from what I hear, the Sheriff is backing his officers.

Corey may reopen case against man shot by police | Jacksonville.com
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

2. Remove Ads

Why are they fleeing as the cop pulls up,If I had permission I would stop and let the officer know.sounds kinda spicious
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links