Home invasion, shooting sad replay of vicious cycle

This is a discussion on Home invasion, shooting sad replay of vicious cycle within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I thought that we had a thread running on this home invasion. I searched on Bradenton, Palmetto High, football, and all the principle's names. No ...

VIP Member

I thought that we had a thread running on this home invasion. I searched on Bradenton, Palmetto High, football, and all the principle's names.

No luck.

If it is already running please move to that thread.

Home invasion, shooting sad replay of vicious cycle - Local - Bradenton.com

On Wednesday morning a host of our young men took a major step in life, signing scholarships facilitating their further education and football ambitions.

On Sunday night, another young man from here, once in their position, played on football’s biggest stage.

Yet on Sunday morning, two other young men, former Palmetto High football players who probably harbored such dreams once, were allegedly armed and involved in a deadly home invasion.

A 55-year-old woman was killed, her boyfriend shot, and one of the suspects, his spine severed by return gunfire, is crippled at 17.

What a sobering contrast.

Braden River High’s Willie McNeal, Manatee’s Eric Williams and Palmetto’s Kedric Johnson were among those sharing the fruits of their labor on National Signing Day.

Lakewood Ranch alum Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, an impact rookie for the NFC champion Arizona Cardinals, showed McNeal, Williams, Johnson and the others what heights they can reach if they have the talent, work hard, stay on the right path and avoid people and places that lead to trouble.

Tragically, Ta Heem Blake and Marquis Sanders never embraced that message.

Not that they were stars or close to it.

They did not take full advantage of a vehicle their peers used to improve their lives and give themselves a chance at more success.

I don’t mean trophies or titles.

Rather, a foundation built by discipline, sacrifice and teamwork, attributes invaluable in life, not just the arena.

Students at Palmetto described Blake and Sanders as being incapable of such a heinous act, and that they had what it took to get to college.

Instead, they face serious consequences.

Blake, now paralyzed, was the alleged shooter.

Sanders, 18, was the alleged armed lookout.

Both are charged with murder in the death of Maria Lerma.

The human toll from this senseless shooting is exponential.

The victim’s family is traumatized, a mother and grandmother gone forever.

The suspects’ families, already reeling from what took place, must deal with the ramifications as the courts mete out justice for the brutal crime.

A vicious cycle.

Last July Lakewood Ranch quarterback Tim Brooks was arrested and charged with the fatal shooting of 19-year-old William White Jr.

Brooks is still in Manatee County jail awaiting trial, charged with first-degree murder.

Now Blake and Sanders.

When will they learn?

When will it stop?

Mannix About Manatee, by local columnist Vin Mannix, is about people and issues in Manatee County. Please call Vin Mannix at 745-7055, write him at Bradenton Herald, P.O. Box 921, Bradenton, FL 34206 or email him at vmannix@bradenton.com. Please include a phone number for verification.
    BTW -- the victim's son returned fire.

Maybe it would end if those w/o "a foundation built by discipline, sacrifice and teamwork" learn that there are those ready and able to defend themselves.

For them to "learn" it we need to win the fight to make people understand it and the walk the talk.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Most people don't look at the consequences they live in the here and now and somehow think they won't get caught
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    "Tragically, Ta Heem Blake and Marquis Sanders never embraced that message."

Nor their parents...where a major portion of the responsibility should lie.

I also wonder if they knew the home protector...

Rick

As a sports photographer and writer I'm close to the players and just get sick to my stomach when I see what I know is a borderline player (one with talent but a poor home environment) that starts down the slippery slope of criminality. Sometimes they recover, most times they do not. High school sports is much more than what you see on Friday nights.

[QUOTE=bandit383;1016920 Nor their parents...where a major portion of the responsibility should lie.

Rick[/QUOTE]

You are 100% right there!

VIP Member

More

[quote=bandit383;1016920 Nor their parents...where a major portion of the responsibility should lie.
    [/QUOTE]

More

Public bears burden of suspect's care
    Taxpayers will foot bill for ex-Palmetto football player, now paralyzed
    By ROBERT NAPPER - rnapper@bradenton.com

If a foster child commits a crime, it does not automatically trigger an investigation into the caretaker, according to McKenney. An investigation only begins if there is an allegation that a foster parent knowingly did something that contributed to the crime, or there is evidence a foster parent took part in a crime, he said.

“There is no way to predict who is going to break the law,” McKenney said. “We have no reason to believe there was any shortcoming in the house that would affect anyone’s foster licensing.”

In general, cases where foster children commit crimes are tracked only on a case-by-case basis. Both DCF and Safe Children Coalition officials said their agencies do not have any long-term statistical tracking of arrests of foster children in Florida.

Gillespie also said foster children who are arrested receive no legal services from DCF, but will have a public defender appointed as with any other suspect who can’t afford a lawyer.

The state never gives up custody of a foster child until he or she is 18, unless a foster parent obtains a legal adoption, Gillespie said. So should Blake be released from the hospital or jail, the state is still responsible for his housing until he is 18.

Before the shooting, Safe Children Coalition officials also had looked into the well-being of a baby Blake recently fathered, McKenney said. Any time a foster child becomes the parent of a child, SCC conducts an automatic investigation into whether the child is in need of state custody.

McKenney said Blake’s baby never lived in his foster home; instead, the child is living with the mother.

“So it was determined the child was not going to be placed in state custody,” McKenney said.

As the system works through how to handle Blake, police are still investigating Sanders’ exact role in the attempted home invasion. Detectives say he confessed to taking part in the robbery and to Blake’s involvement, and took police to the pistol he used in the robbery, reports said.

But Bradenton attorney Charlie Britt, who represented Sanders during his first hearing in front of judge Feb. 2, called his involvement “minimal.”

Sanders has maintained he did not know Blake would open fire in the house, and fled when he heard gunshots coming from the bedroom, Britt said. Detectives say Sanders did not fire his weapon during the shooting.

Britt, who knows Sanders as a volunteer football coach at Palmetto High, called him a “good kid.” He said he also is suspicious of the four hours of questioning police conducted of Sanders without an attorney, after pulling him from class at Palmetto High School on Monday.

“I know he is 18, but he is still just a high-school kid,” Britt said. “I just hope people don’t rush to bury this kid before the facts come out.”

Bradenton police have a very different take on Sanders’ involvement in Lerma’s death.

“He did not go into this blind, just following a buddy,” said Deputy Chief Tokajer. “It is our understanding through our investigation that he played a role in the planning of this and, by his admission, took part while armed with a weapon.”

Police also believe Sanders and Blake may have committed other robberies in the city. Tokajer said witnesses in several other hold-ups are being interviewed to see if the teens may be connected to other crimes.

“There is a lot more work to be done yet,” he said.

Robert Napper, law enforcement reporter, can be reached at (941) 745-7024
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links