Security Guard 1: Perp 0

This is a discussion on Security Guard 1: Perp 0 within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Would-Be Robber Shot, Killed In New Smyrna Beach - News- msnbc.com Would-Be Robber Shot, Killed In New Smyrna Beach Security Guard Shoots Man Saturday Morning ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Security Guard 1: Perp 0

VIP Member

Thumbs up Security Guard 1: Perp 0

Would-Be Robber Shot, Killed In New Smyrna Beach - News- msnbc.com

Would-Be Robber Shot, Killed In New Smyrna Beach
    Security Guard Shoots Man Saturday Morning

WESH.com
    updated 6 minutes ago
    NEW SMYRNA BEACH - A would-be robber was shot and killed Saturday morning in New Smyrna Beach as a store owner was opening up his shop.

The robber was shot twice in the chest by a security guard at the Medicine Shoppe pharmacy Saturday at 10:15 a.m.

Police said the masked robber entered the store at 653 N. Dixie Freeway, put a gun to the head of the pharmacist and demanded drugs.

That's when the man with the gun was shot and killed by the security guard.

Neighboring store owners said the Medicine Shoppe had heard rumors lately that they were going to be held up, and as a result had hired the security guard.

"It was kind of chaotic," said neighboring store owner Julie Mokas. "Everyone was peeking out their doors. No one knew what was going on."

According to neighboring shop owners, the security guard is a retired sheriff's deputy who is related to an employee of the Medicine Shoppe. However, police would not confirm that.

"They were tipped off that somebody was gonna rob them, and they had an undercover cop sitting in there," Mokas said.

The shooting is being investigated by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the state attorney's office but police appear to support the guard's actions.

"The security guard did what he had to do, and he protected the pharmacist," said New Smyrna Beach police Sgt. Michael Brouillette.

The pharmacist and one clerk, who were in the store at the time of the hold-up, were not harmed.

The store had been held up twice before. It was robbed in May 2006 and April 2007. Both were armed hold-ups with suspects looking for drugs. Police have not yet released the name of the victim or of the security guard involved in the shooting.
    Sounds like a righteous shoot to me.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    me too! good job on the guard's part.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Pretty good job,but here if your gonna play guard you gotta have a license
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Pretty good job,but here if your gonna play guard you gotta have a license
    Are you assuming he/she did not have a license? And being a retired Sheriff's deputy (as outlined in the article)...I suspect he had a license.

Rick

VIP Member
    Have to agree with dukalmighty. If the guy was acting as a security guard I hope he was licensed by the state.

It is a bit odd in Florida: As soon as you protect someone/something for money, you need a specific security guard license. It also restricts what kind of weapons you may use while on duty. As a retired deputy, he still needs one, but it should be easy to get for him. Either way, even if he wasn't licensed, it was a good shot and the only thing they may charge him with is the license violation. But if the pharmacy owner claims he did it for free as a friend, I doubt there would be a big investigation or charges filed.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

I say WELL DONE!

Always a good day when another scum bag is removed from society.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Retired sheriff's deputy turned "pool cleaner"... I like it!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Have to agree with dukalmighty. If the guy was acting as a security guard I hope he was licensed by the state.
    That was my very first thought.

As a _retired_ LEO he is a civilian, and civilians cannot play/act as security guards for hire in many states where as much is regulated.
    I'll assume being a former LEO he would know this though and had secured the proper licensing before hand in order to act as a paid and thus professional armed store security guard.

Good shoot though. Double tap FTW.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Read through the whole story and he is described as:

1. Security Officer
    2. Retired Deputy
    3. "Cop"
    4. Friend of an employee

I would like to commend the journalist in question for really digging in and finding and sorting all this out. Not. Sheesh.

Anyway, takes some serious guts to pop a BG while he is making a depression in a Pharmacist's skull with the barrel of his gun. I'll bet there was a clean up necessary after that, and I'm not talking about the blood.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Police have not yet released the name of the victim or of the security guard involved in the shooting.
    The robber becomes the victim because he was stopped? He's only a suspect if he commits the crime but he becomes the victim when he doesn't? What a twisted world we live in.
    When in doubt empty the magazine.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by MiloSC View Post
    The robber becomes the victim because he was stopped? He's only a suspect if he commits the crime but he becomes the victim when he doesn't? What a twisted world we live in.
    +1000

That is one of my pet peeves. The guy is only a victim of his own scumbaginess. I hate it when reporters refer to BGs who get shot as "victims." They are not the victims, they are the perpetrators. The druggist and the guard (who was forced into taking another's life in defense of an innocent) are the victims.

Arrrrgggghhhhh

For a security guard to be armed here, they have to have a Class G license. They're restricted to either (I believe) a .38 revolver, or a 9mm pistol.

I don't think it'd be difficult for a retired deputy to get the G license without having to go through the class and range requirements.

I just hope the security guard is 100 percent in the clear. Some times you have to fight fire with fire. I think what the security guard (retired cop) did was something the police were unable to do due to the lack of manpower. Some times you need to fend for yourself. The proof of this is the two prior robberies where the BG succeeded and got away.

Video

Update...the video of the shooting is posted on YouTube.

Here... YouTube - New Smyrna Beach Medicine Shoppe shooting

You can watch as the security times his move.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links