BAD -- all the way around.

This is a discussion on BAD -- all the way around. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Got to be more to the story. 2 men critically injured in Miami shooting - Breaking News - Dade - MiamiHerald.com 2 men critically injured ...

Thread: BAD -- all the way around.

VIP Member

Thumbs down BAD -- all the way around.

Got to be more to the story.

2 men critically injured in Miami shooting - Breaking News - Dade - MiamiHerald.com

2 men critically injured in Miami shooting
    By JENNIFER LEBOVICH
    jlebovich@MiamiHerald.com

Two men were shot in Miami early Sunday morning after they tried to rob a woman, officials said.

The men were taken to Ryder Trauma Center in ''extremely critical'' condition, said Lt. Ignatius Carroll, with Miami Fire Rescue.

Police said it was still early in the investigation, but it appeared the two men had tried to rob a woman minutes before the shooting near Northwest 13th Street and Second Avenue, said Willie Moreno, a Miami Police spokesman.

The woman then went and told a man on a bike that she had been robbed.

The man on the bike shot the two men.

No arrests have been made and police are still looking for the shooter, Moreno said.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Well, at least they didn't call them victims this time.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member
    As much as I hate to say it, I hope they don't find the biker/shooter.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

VIP Member
    Think these 2 will learn that if your going to play with guns, your going to get hurt?

Sad thing is shooter may be illegally carrying the gun he shot them with,I saw a episode of the next 48 where a guy was not charged due to SD situation but was charged with unlawful possession of the gun he used
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    If he gets caught, he will be going in for murder. The event was over so there was no imminent fear of death or grave bodily harm. Bad shooting.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Sounds like street justice.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    If he gets caught, he will be going in for murder. The event was over so there was no imminent fear of death or grave bodily harm. Bad shooting.
    I'm not sure how you can say that when we have no information as to what took place between the time when she told the guy on the bike, and the guy on the bike shot the two men.

Granted, he probably should not have gotten involved, and from this article, you can't say that the two men didn't confront the man on the bike when they saw the robbery victim going up to him.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Criminals doing a little self maintenance on the gene pool.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Vigilante justice?
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Vigilante justice, while warm and fuzzy on some deep level, is bad for us.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
    "Save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword" - Gen. R. E. Lee

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    I'm not sure how you can say that when we have no information as to what took place between the time when she told the guy on the bike, and the guy on the bike shot the two men.

Granted, he probably should not have gotten involved, and from this article, you can't say that the two men didn't confront the man on the bike when they saw the robbery victim going up to him.
    It does not say that the men confronted the man on the bike. As written, the initial event was over so it is not a good shooting. Use of deadly force in Florida is only authorized in the event of reasonable fear of death or grave bodily harm. Creating a situation where fear of death or grave bodily harm happens invalidates any self-defense argument.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Sad thing is shooter may be illegally carrying the gun he shot them with,I saw a episode of the next 48 where a guy was not charged due to SD situation but was charged with unlawful possession of the gun he used
    Last year or maybe it was 2007, there was a case of a felon who carried a sidearm on his person for personal protection amongst the mean streets. He otherwise had been walking and working on the straight and narrow even seeing his parole officer as required.
    FFWD his store gets robbed by gun men and they assault a coworker. Dude pulls out his own concealed handgun and fires on the gunman wounding and stopping him.

Problem is he was a felon and felons being in possession of a firearm is a parole violation, and felony in itself.
    The police remarked in the story that had he not been there his coworker would have been badly injured as he stopped a firearm assault (female being beaten with the pistol by BG) in play. But they had to arrest and charge him for what otherwise was a good shoot because he was a felon.
    It was one of the most heart wrenching SD stories I've ever seen reported. Very sad.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by swaggs View Post
    Vigilante justice, while warm and fuzzy on some deep level, is bad for us.
    Agreed.
    Illegal is illegal.

Besides who proclaimed bicycle guy judge, jury, and executioner of Street Justice?
    He went and shot someone while having nothing more than the word of an alleged victim and circumstantial evidence at best (purse in hand).
    Normally purse snatching is a misdemeanor crime not enforced with lethal force nor penalty of death.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    It does not say that the men confronted the man on the bike. As written, the initial event was over so it is not a good shooting. Use of deadly force in Florida is only authorized in the event of reasonable fear of death or grave bodily harm. Creating a situation where fear of death or grave bodily harm happens invalidates any self-defense argument.
    Exactly my point. The article does not say enough about what did or did not happen. I prefer to think it's best to give a guy the benifit of the doubt until there are more facts. Unless you know something about the media being more forthcoming than I'm used to seeing?

I'm saying, that article could be you some day with everyone assuming you're guilty before getting all the facts.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Links