Bad: Man (permit holder), 59, charged in Cordova parking-lot killing

This is a discussion on Bad: Man (permit holder), 59, charged in Cordova parking-lot killing within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Let the facts get to a jury of his peers. This account seems like none of this was worth it. There's insurance for cars, charges ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad: Man (permit holder), 59, charged in Cordova parking-lot killing

Let the facts get to a jury of his peers. This account seems like none of this was worth it. There's insurance for cars, charges for drunken vandals, and shame for pushy idiots. I think he'll have a hard time with any "reasonable person" test when he could have just driven away in his Hummer, scratched paint, urine-soaked tires...or not.
    Still Clingin'

2. Remove Ads

So far, I don't see A, O, J as a defense.
    Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? -- Patrick Henry

I hope this idiot gets life and then some. I frankly don't give a rip who you are if you can't control your temper you don't deserve to be able to own a weapon. Second to becoming a father to carry conceal and or own a weapon comes with a huge responsibility to yourself and to others.

Sad, and completely unnecessary. I hope they throw the book at this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I hope the shooter goes to jail for life.

I might be mistaken, but it sounds like the woman from the Hummer started the argument. I wonder if she still thinks it was worth arguing about.
    The hummer belonged to Coleman, the murderer. This incident doesn't really help to exactly dispel the stereotype of the type of personalities who drive Hummers.

And reading through the comments, it doesn't look good for us, for sure. Even though its a very rare type of incident, it still doesn't reflect well since we don't get a fair hearing in the court of public opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    The hummer belonged to Coleman, the murderer.
    But on the way out, according to Dallas, Schwerin and a woman began arguing over how close his GMC Yukon Denali was to her Hummer.

At that point, Harry Coleman joined the argument, which then seemed to dim. But then it boiled over again, Dallas said, leading Coleman to reach into the Hummer for his gun.
    I assume Coleman and the woman arrived together in the Hummer, or were leaving together in the Hummer.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Even though its a very rare type of incident, it still doesn't reflect well
    Agreed.

I read somewhere else that Coleman was in a restaurant eating when someone told him that someone (Schwerin) was vandalizing his car.

If that was the case, how was he inside the restaurant eating and his wife was outside getting into the argument?

This should be interesting...
    Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? -- Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Both these guys are/were in their 50's! Do some people just never mature? The shooter was wrong.I just wonder about the man who was killed.To argue over parking spaces? Things like this are so easy to avoid. Sad story.

Quote Originally Posted by laguna0seca View Post
    The fact that he went to his car, got his gun, then came back and shot the man, does not reflect well on the CCW community.
    The "community," of course, had nothing to do with this felon-in-waiting who escaped detection. Though, granted, it's an example that'll be taken out for a spin by those looking to cash in on such situations.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

What a stupid thing to argue over. The idiot who did the shooting should be charged with first degree murder. This a tragedy that could have been avoided by using a little common sense. I don't like dings in my truck but it's not a reason to kill someone in cold blood. Permit or no permit this would have happened due to the fact that the shooter had the gun in the truck and was not carrying.

So sad, mostly for the three kids without either parent now! I hope they have a close relative or two that can step in and (especially for the younger girl) let her finish school in her town. This kind of publicity is the last thing CCers need in the media, it seems like we are on the defensive in public opinion even without idiots. I agree, the fact the suspect was driving a Hummer is ironic... since Hummer drivers tend to be aggressive and pushy around my town.

My prayers go out to the family of the victim, this goes to show that getting involved in stupid arguments with (armed or unarmed) hotheads is never worth it, just drive away.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, & may posterity forget you were countrymen.

I was told today by someone that knows Coleman that he is a lifelong alcoholic and that he was intoxicated that night as well. I was listening to Conservative Talk Radio on the way home from work and they were talking about this case. They said that The Commercial Appeal (local Memphis paper) had an article out about CCers and had even posted a link to a database with all CCers in Tennessee listed in it.
    The best preventative medicine is superior fire power.

I have been on the Commercial Appeal website, but can't find the article mentioned in the radio program. Has anyone in the Memphis area seen this?

This just hurts to read, just so sad, bad....sad.

Well, IF he was a life long alchy then he was just that…A felony just waiting to happen.

Here is an eyewitness account.

Sounds worse and worse.

I work just down the road from where this took place and work with someone who goes to church with the victim. It was related to me that he was drunk and went to get the gun out of his car. He put the gun right against the mouth and chin of the victim who threw his hands up in the area and said he was sorry and to calm down. In the background the shooters wife was still mouthing and cussing the victim the whole time. The shooter removed the gun from the victims face, but the wife never shut up. He then turned back to the victim and shot him in the chest. After shooting him he turned to his wife and said, "are you happy now". He then turned the gun on the victim's 19 year old son before he was wrestled to the ground by bystanders. This is second party information, but it comes from someone who knew the victim and his kids very well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links