Bad: Man (permit holder), 59, charged in Cordova parking-lot killing - Page 3

Bad: Man (permit holder), 59, charged in Cordova parking-lot killing

This is a discussion on Bad: Man (permit holder), 59, charged in Cordova parking-lot killing within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; That guy is an idiot and should be tried for first degree murder. The fact that he went back to his truck and got his ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad: Man (permit holder), 59, charged in Cordova parking-lot killing

mkh
    That guy is an idiot and should be tried for first degree murder. The fact that he went back to his truck and got his gun seems premeditated to me.

I don' think much of the lawyer either. He's just spewing hearsay and trying to mislead people.

My wife and I were at Panera tonight. Saw a couple of guys measuring distances, taking pictures, etc. A few LEOs drove by - one stopped and talked with them for a few minutes, then they all left.

Balin is famous for getting the guilty off with a slap on the writst.
    Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? -- Patrick Henry

After reading the eye-witness accounts, I wish to withdraw my initial comments of:
    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I hope the shooter goes to jail for life.
    and replace them with

Fry the muther.

Society has no use for people like the shooter. He needs to be removed permanently. Then sell all his possessions and give the money to the kids of the man he murdered. And throw the squallin' female in jail for something.

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    After reading the eye-witness accounts, I wish to withdraw my initial comments of:and replace them with

Fry the muther.

Society has no use for people like the shooter. He needs to be removed permanently. Then sell all his possessions and give the money to the kids of the man he murdered. And throw the squallin' female in jail for something.
    Sounds reasonable to me.

This should be bumped to 1st degree, this was premeditated. I don't easily call for capital punishment but if the witness account is on the mark, especially the alleged comments between h/w, get the needle. This guy and his wife needs to go.

So sad. I can't believe with that idiots obviously bad temper and stupidity he didn't already have a record that would prevent him from getting a permit.

The anti-gun nuts just scored a lot of ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by uphill View Post

The anti-gun nuts just scored a lot of ammo.
    It's sad how a single case like this does so much against us, but the many stories *everyday* of people saving theirs and others lives with their guns, often without a shot fired, gets ignored and run over with barely a peep out of any media outlet.

Living right outside Memphis and having eaten at that shopping center before, we have been listening to and reading about this incident all day.

All I can say is, I hate that this low life scum sucking moron actually got a permit to carry a gun. He sounds like a drunk and has easily set us and our cause back a decade. I hope he gets his charges upped to 1st degree murder and I hope he get the needle for it. And honestly, I wish there was some way to charge his loud mouthed drunk b**ch wife with something too. It sounds like she instigated the whole thing.

Leslie Balin is famous around here for getting the guilty off. The preachers wife who shot her husband in the back with a shotgun while he slept in Selmer TN a year or two ago is one of his most famous. He is a real low life. He just oozes slimy layer scum. But, even he might not be able to get this murdering idiot off.

I pray for those 3 kids. The victim lived in Arlington. That's the town we live in. I am quite sure I had seen him and possibly spoken to him a few times. It's a small town.

Very sad.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    He may be a scum sucking lawyer, but he's doing his job, and apparently doing it well. Too bad he can't turn his talents to something more constructive.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

My coworker who knows the victims family stated that they are looking into a civil lawsuit against the wife.
    The best preventative medicine is superior fire power.

If he was a drunk and had a permit, he may actually have had an invalid permit. In Miss if you are an alcoholic and lie about it on your permit app, you've committed a crime. The best bet for legit CCW's is to define this man as not being a valid permit holder.

In short, CCW holders should be quick in situations like this to point out that this was not a law abiding citizen. He committed purjury in order to get his permit, and the permit should never have been issued in the first place.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Quote Originally Posted by CPTMO View Post
    My coworker who knows the victims family stated that they are looking into a civil lawsuit against the wife.
    Normally, I'm against those. But in this case, I hope they sue every stitch of clothing off that woman, sell her house to pay the attorney fees, and throw her in the street. Maybe she'll have to go into prostitution to get her daily bread.

Am I really saying that????

Guess I am.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Agreed, then run over the drunk with his own Hummer.

This is in The Commercial Appeal (Memphis Local Newspaper) Today as an aftermath of some of this shooting event:

Wharton urges tougher gun laws, calls violence a health risk
    Mayor wants gun-offender registry, changes in punishment

By Alex Doniach (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Shelby County Mayor A C Wharton, in a push to increase public safety, has called for a statewide gun-offender registry and tougher penalties for people who carry handguns without permits.

In his annual State of the County address to the Rotary Club on Tuesday, Wharton unveiled a flurry of ideas to reduce violent gun crimes, including state legislation that would make it a felony instead of a misdemeanor for first-time offenders who illegally carry guns.

"The illegal use of carrying guns under our present laws has been minimized," he said. "It ought to be a felony. It ought to be serious."

During the luncheon at the Memphis University Club, Wharton spoke optimistically of the county's overall health despite a crippling national recession, saying the county's debt was trending down and bond ratings remained strong.

But he called the county's crime problem the "monster in the room" and the "ice on the wings of our flight to success."

He advocated changes to the state constitution that would allow pretrial detention in state courts. He also pushed for a gun-offender registry, much like the sex-offender registry, which would heighten community awareness of known offenders.

Days after a Cordova man was accused of killing another man during an argument over how close their SUVs were parked, Wharton said he will also push for more collaboration with the local health department to treat rampant violence as a public health risk.

These ideas, many of which will be taken to state lawmakers for consideration, have been largely well-received by local crime-fighters.

Dist. Atty. Gen. Bill Gibbons said he supports the push for tougher penalties for illegal gun possession.

For years, Gibbons said a statewide coalition of law enforcement officials have unsuccessfully tried to pass similar legislation, but those proposals have received little support because they included mandatory jail time, meaning higher costs to county jails.

Yet Wharton said he believes the public would be wiling to pay more to ensure safer streets.

"I'm not going to back down from this because it might cost money," he said Tuesday.

Gibbons was more reluctant to support the gun registry because of the possible costs. He said the state already has a list of individuals who are restricted from possessing firearms.

Sheriff Mark Luttrell said he was glad Wharton addressed the need to deal with the social and public health issues involved with crime.

Luttrell said he'll be requesting close to $3 million from the County Commission to pay for alternative programs, including those for drug addicts and the mentally ill, to help criminals deal with the underlying causes of violent behavior and keep a rising jail population at bay.

-- Alex Doniach: 529-5231

Community Congress

Shelby County Mayor A C Wharton will host a series of meetings called "Community Congress on Crime," to discuss the county's crime problem.

The meetings will be at:

5:45 -7 p.m. Monday at New Salem Missionary Baptist Church, 2237 South Parkway East

5:45-7 p.m. Feb 19 at Keel Avenue Baptist Church, 778 N. Bellevue Blvd.

5:45- 7 p.m. Feb. 23 at Middle Baptist Church, 801 Whitehaven Lane.
    The best preventative medicine is superior fire power.

Sounds to me like he was not licensed at all. And for once, I think I actually somewhat agree with a Mayor's suggestion about increased "gun control." Tougher penalties, okay - I don't oppose that.

But the old concerns are still there. We can pass all the laws we want, but where are they going to stay? An already overcrowded prison? And at over $50k a year per prisoner, who in the world is going to pay? Prison is such a broken system.

Also, is the registry necessary? If they're charged with a felony, that should show up on the NICS check anyway and they'll be denied if they attempt to purchase a gun through legal means. Seems to me that might be a bit of a waste of money.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links