Bad: Man (permit holder), 59, charged in Cordova parking-lot killing

This is a discussion on Bad: Man (permit holder), 59, charged in Cordova parking-lot killing within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I hate for this being my first post but it is a classic case study of machismo overtaking logic. Man, 59, charged in Cordova parking-lot ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad: Man (permit holder), 59, charged in Cordova parking-lot killing

Bad: Man (permit holder), 59, charged in Cordova parking-lot killing

I hate for this being my first post but it is a classic case study of machismo overtaking logic.

Man, 59, charged in Cordova parking-lot killing : Local News : Memphis Commercial Appeal

2. Remove Ads

I would think they would go for first degree murder since he had to make a conscious effort to go get the gun and return to shoot the guy.Sometimes it's better off saying I'm sorry no matter if you feel if your in the right or wrong,If you can't control your emotions any better than that I would suggest you leave your gun at home
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The fact that he went to his car, got his gun, then came back and shot the man, does not reflect well on the CCW community. It's unfortunate that people cant leave their ego at the door as they should when they are armed.
    USMC Sergeant
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Utah BCI Certified Instructor
    Utah Self Defense Instruction- Utah CCW, Discount NRA memberships/renewals
    Gun Blog,CCW News and Reviews

Stupid Stupid Stupid!!!! Shooting someone over how they parked!! My heart goes out to the victims children. I sure hope the shooter doesn't have any kids. I can't imagine having to live life knowing half of my DNA came from someone that stupid.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Seems like 2nd degree is right in that it wasn't really premeditated. Doesn't matter though - it's still stupid and bad, and a detriment to our position.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
    "Save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword" - Gen. R. E. Lee

Not good.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

VIP Member
    Sad and tragic situation for both families. Unless more comes out that hasn't been reported it looks like the guy will probably spend the rest of his life in prison.

Stupidity, now he won't ever have to worry about parking again for sure. What thought process goes through a persons head to bring themselves to do that? I have been mad at people in a parking lot before but this is crazy... It's best to shake it off and move on.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Friggen moron!!!!1

Too close to my Hummer.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

The guy has hired the lawyer that got a woman off that shot her husband with a shotgun while he slept. He is on the news doing the lawyer spin. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydarl View Post
    The guy has hired the lawyer that got the woman off that shot her husband with a shotgun while he slept. He is on the news doing the lawyer spin. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.
    I don't think the greatest lawyer in the world could keep this idiot out of prison!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I hope the shooter goes to jail for life.

I might be mistaken, but it sounds like the woman from the Hummer started the argument. I wonder if she still thinks it was worth arguing about.

Man, 59, charged in Cordova parking-lot killing
    By Jody Callahan (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal
    Sunday, February 8, 2009

An argument and a gun, a flash and a crack, and just like that, three children were made orphans.

That's what happened in the parking lot of the Trinity Commons shopping center in Cordova around 9 p.m. Friday, police said.

Police charged Harry Coleman, 59, with second-degree murder Sunday in the shooting of Robert "Dutch" Schwerin, 52, after the pair argued over how close their vehicles were parked.

Schwerin died in the parking lot, leaving behind two sons, Dallas, 21, and Colt, 19, and a daughter, Savannah, 15. Emilie Schwerin, his wife and their mother, died in 2004 from medical problems.

Schwerin was a mechanic at FedEx for 21 years and a co-owner of Dacosa Speedway in Byhalia, a go-kart track modeled after Talladega Superspeedway.

"He was all they had, after their mother passed away," said the victim's brother, John "Butch" Schwerin.

Dallas and Colt are both college students, but what will happen to Savannah, a student at St. Agnes, hasn't been determined yet.

"We're working through that. We haven't come up with anything concrete yet," Butch said. "I think that she'll end up staying in their (Arlington) home."

The incident apparently began outside the Villa Castrioti restaurant, where Schwerin and his children were celebrating the birthdays of his father and father-in-law.

But on the way out, according to Dallas, Schwerin and a woman began arguing over how close his GMC Yukon Denali was to her Hummer.

At that point, Harry Coleman joined the argument, which then seemed to dim. But then it boiled over again, Dallas said, leading Coleman to reach into the Hummer for his gun. He then walked back to where Schwerin stood and shot him in the torso, according to the police affidavit.

Police took him into custody there and found the gun in his back pocket.

Coleman, who is scheduled to appear in court at 8:30 a.m. today, was granted a state permit to carry a handgun in June 2006.

A woman answering the phone at the Colemans' Cordova home Sunday declined to comment.

Sunday night, the Schwerin family was still trying to absorb the loss.

"It's just a very, very sad time for us. It was totally uncalled for," said the victim's mother-in-law, Mary Rentrop. "It leaves his children without a parent."

His father-in-law wasn't happy that Coleman is only facing second-degree murder charges.

"I don't understand what first or second-degree is. He just shot the man. My son-in-law didn't have a gun or anything," William Rentrop said.

Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday at St. Louis Catholic Church. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. today at Memphis Funeral Home Poplar.

The kids lost their mother in '04, now their dad. Completely unnecessary.

My wife and I heard this on the headlines last night - first thing we said to each other was, "Hope he didn't have a CCW - that would make us all look bad."
    Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? -- Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Unfortunately, having a CCW or not probably had little affect on whether this kind of hothead carried guns or not. The Anti's won't see it that way though.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

The lastest:

- Ballin says his client is innocent. He says Coleman waited for police to arrive on the scene, and says that alcohol and self-defense may play roles in the case. Ballin says his client carried a gun permit and that Coleman is remorseful. He says the victim started the fight by vandalizing his client's Hummer SUV and shoving his wife.

"I've heard varying reports from urinating on the vehicle to taking equipment off the vehicle," says Ballin.
    Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? -- Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links