BAD:North Carolina Teen Shot in the Leg on School Bus

This is a discussion on BAD:North Carolina Teen Shot in the Leg on School Bus within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A 14-year-old North Carolina middle school student was shot on a school bus Wednesday morning, WRAL-TV reported. Tommy Gray, who identified himself as the teen's ...

Thread: BAD:North Carolina Teen Shot in the Leg on School Bus

BAD:North Carolina Teen Shot in the Leg on School Bus

A 14-year-old North Carolina middle school student was shot on a school bus Wednesday morning, WRAL-TV reported.

Tommy Gray, who identified himself as the teen's father, told the station his son was shot in the upper leg with a .22-caliber gun.

Dustin Gray, a student at Zebulon Middle School, was in good condition at Rex Hospital, officials said.

Another student was being questioned, school spokesman Michael Evans told WRAL. Wake County Sheriff Donnie Harrison said the gun went off accidentally.
    Investigators said the bus driver thought the sound was a tire blowing out and pulled over. That's when the injured student was discovered.

Evans said the two boys were friends.

The shooting happened about 6:10 a.m. on Halifax Road near Highway 96 in Youngsville, about 25 miles north of Raleigh.

-----

Accident or not the boy who had the gun and his parents are in some hot water I would guess.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

Update:

Boy's Father Charged in Shooting

Youngsville, N.C. Wake County deputies have charged the father of an 11-year-old boy who they say accidentally shot his 14-year-old friend on a school bus headed to Zebulon Middle School Wednesday morning.

Deputies charged Lawrence Lavon Mouzzon, 53, of 5316 New Dixie Court in Youngsville, with one count of failing to store firearms to protect a minor.

The 11-year-old "gained access to the firearm without the lawful permission of (his) parents," according to a warrant.

The .25-caliber gun accidentally discharged while the boys were on the bus on Halifax Road near N.C. Highway 96, according to Wake County Sheriff Donnie Harrison.

Tommy Gray, who said he is the father of the 14-year-old victim, Dustin Gray, said his son was shot in the upper leg.
    Boy's father charged in Wake school bus shooting :: WRAL.com

I do get so tired of the "accidentally discharged" comment, had he not have had his finger on the trigger it would not have "gone off".
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I do get so tired of the "accidentally discharged" comment, had he not have had his finger on the trigger it would not have "gone off".
    +1. It just adds to the misconception that if you're even in the vicinity of a firearm it might "go off" for no reason. Most people have two safeties built right in, their finger and their brain. Misuse of one or both can lead to accidents with all manner of things, from cars to saws to guns.

Maybe if guns came with warning labels we could solve all these problems...
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Need to start at a young age to keep the bogger picker out of the trigger well.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post

Agreed.... Father should be charged. We as parents need to protect our children.... even from themselves.

We had an incident similar to this in Cape Coral, Florida back in December where an one of two boys skipping school accidentally shot the other in the head. the victim died. The City charged the father but due to the incompetence of the police department the state dropped the charges and the victims family will never have justice served criminally.

Here's a link to the story why state prosecuters had to the drop the charges.

State will not charge Cape father in accidental shooting of teen : Lee : Naples Daily News

Responsible prosecution of those at the cause of the issues is good to see. A bad situation no doubt, but sounds like the right way forward.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
    "Save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword" - Gen. R. E. Lee

VIP Member
    Who is supposed to teach our kids gun safety if not us? A friend on the school bus?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Who is supposed to teach our kids gun safety if not us? A friend on the school bus?
    I am not sure what you mean but....

My elevan year old son shoots with me everytime I go to the range. We have taken three gun safety courses together. Even so, I would never leave a gun accessible to him, ever!!!!

Links