BAD -- Philadelphia police officer shot, killed

BAD -- Philadelphia police officer shot, killed

This is a discussion on BAD -- Philadelphia police officer shot, killed within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Philadelphia police officer shot, killed | Philadelphia Inquirer | 02/13/2009 Philadelphia police officer shot, killed By Rita Giordano, Andrew Maykuth, and Barbara Boyer INQUIRER STAFF ...

Thread: BAD -- Philadelphia police officer shot, killed

VIP Member

Thumbs down BAD -- Philadelphia police officer shot, killed

Philadelphia police officer shot, killed | Philadelphia Inquirer | 02/13/2009

Philadelphia police officer shot, killed
    By Rita Giordano, Andrew Maykuth, and Barbara Boyer

INQUIRER STAFF WRITERS

Another Philadelphia police officer has been gunned down in the line of duty, this time in an apparent shoot-out tonight in front of the Olney Transportation Center.
    The officer, whose name was not immediately released, was the first to be killed in the line of duty this year.

The shooting happened shortly after 8 in an exchange of gunfire between two officers and two men near Broad Street and Olney Avenue. What precipitated the violence was not immediately available. There were reports the police officers were responding to a call of a report of a fight on the highway.

The officer was taken to nearby Albert Einstein Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead shortly before 9 p.m.

At the emergency room entrance and inside the hospital tonight, scores of uniformed and nonuniformed officers milled about, some weeping and hugging each other as word spread of the officer's death.

"I don't know what happened. I just know we have one man dead," said John McNesby, president of Lodge Five of the Fraternal Order of Police.

Others gathered there included Larry McDonald, father of Sgt. Patrick McDonald, who was fatally shot in September.

Larry McDonald was at a fund-raiser tonight for another fallen officer, Sgt. Timothy Simpson, when he learned that yet another officer was down. Simpson died Nov. 17, 2008, of injuries sustained in an automobile accident.

Police Commissioner Charles H. Ramsey and Mayor Nutter were also at Einstein comforting the slain officer's family.

In the moments after the shooting, officers flooded the scene looking for one of the suspects and attempting to render aid.

Early police reports indicated that one suspect was taken into custody and the other was taken to Einstein with bullet wounds. The dead officer's partner may have been grazed by a bullet.

The slain officer was assigned to the 35th District.

The area where the shooting took place includes SEPTA's Olney Transportation Center and is near two large high schools.

It also is about a half-mile south of where Officer Charles Cassidy was fatally wounded by gunfire on Oct. 31, 2007, after interrupting a robbery at a doughnut store.

The two other officers killed last year were Officer Isabel Nazario, 40, who died Sept. 5 after her patrol car was struck by a stolen SUV in the Mantua section, and Sgt. Stephen Liczbinski, 39, who was killed May 3 by one of three bank robbers after a Saturday morning stickup at a bank office in Port Richmond.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Prayers for the family of this officer, and all those who risk their lives for us.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

More fuel for the fire to get guns away from citizens
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Prayers for the family of this officer, and all those who risk their lives for us.
    Yes, thanks to those that serve to enforce the public trust.

That said I still hate those unworthy of public respect who work in the media and government. I am watching the news and Mayor Nutty blames the guns for the loss of life amongst the ranks of law enforcement. In the past year 5 Philly cops have sacrificed their lives; two of them in car wrecks, yet no calls to enforce driving rules or blames cars for the death of police officers. Not to mention this lastest tragedy was, according to the TV interview, caused by a person "well know" to Filthadephia police.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

VIP Member

Thumbs down Update -- Correction

The Associated Press: Correction: Officer shot story

Correction: Officer shot story
    1 day ago

PHILADELPHIA (AP) In stories Feb. 13 and Feb. 14 about the shooting death of Philadelphia Police Officer John Pawlowski, The Associated Press misstated the number of active-duty Philadelphia police officers killed in the line of duty in the last two years. Seven were killed in that period, not six. Four were killed in 2008, not three. Besides the three named in the story, Sgt. Timothy Simpson was killed in a car crash Nov. 17, 2008.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Sad, very sad. Hopefully they catch the scumbag... although at this point, I don't blame the BG for hiding. Because when they find him... well

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Sad, very sad. Hopefully they catch the scumbag... although at this point, I don't blame the BG for hiding. Because when they find him... well
    They caught him at the scene, wounded and sent to the hospital.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Sponsored Links