Bad -- Shot with own gun

Bad -- Shot with own gun

This is a discussion on Bad -- Shot with own gun within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Woman Shot With Own Gun During Hot Prowl - NBCSANDIEGO.COM- msnbc.com Woman Shot With Own Gun During Hot Prowl NBCSanDiego.com updated 49 minutes ago A ...

Thread: Bad -- Shot with own gun

VIP Member

Thumbs down Bad -- Shot with own gun

Woman Shot With Own Gun During Hot Prowl - NBCSANDIEGO.COM- msnbc.com

Woman Shot With Own Gun During Hot Prowl

NBCSanDiego.com
    updated 49 minutes ago

A manhunt is under way for a man who broke into a 21-year-old woman's apartment and shot her in the stomach with her own gun in Imperial Beach Thursday, deputies said.

Deputies received a call from a woman who said she had been shot at her apartment on the 200 block of Elder Ave. When deputies arrived, they found the woman with a gunshot wound.

The victim said she was in a back room of her apartment when she heard a noise in the living room, deputies said. She armed herself with a handgun and went into the living room to investigate the noise. She told deputies she saw the man tampering with her home entertainment equipment. The victim and suspect struggled over the handgun and the woman was shot in the stomach.

The victim was transported to an area hospital for treatment.

People in the neighborhood say they heard the sound of a helicopter looking for the suspect, who is described only as a man in his teens or early twenties wearing a hoodie. They say the neighborhood is generally quiet, and describe what happened as "terrible."

She armed herself with a handgun and went into the living room to investigate the noise.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

If you can't pull the trigger then you better lubricate your gun well because where It may end up will be more comfortable being inserted with proper lubrication.I bet she thought the sight of her gun would cause the guy to run out without her having to fire a shot
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    If you can't pull the trigger then you better lubricate your gun well because where It may end up will be more comfortable being inserted with proper lubrication.I bet she thought the sight of her gun would cause the guy to run out without her having to fire a shot
    +1 Almost better off w/out one.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

VIP Member

Cover and Concealment

IMHO -- If you aren't very well trained and dang good, you barricade yourself with your gun, with cover and concealment and call 911.

While you wwwaaaiiiitttt, you pray. But if the perp comes into the room you are in
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    IMHO -- If you aren't very well trained and dang good, you barricade yourself with your gun, with cover and concealment and call 911.

While you wwwaaaiiiitttt, you pray. But if the perp comes into the room you are in
    yes,true
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Agreed Dave.

It's not like she thought that she'd come around the corner and the noise going on would be her cat.
    She knew good and well she's got a home invasion in progress.
    In stories like this I continually advise the same thing. Get yourself to a safe and defensive placement which in her case is to stay in her bedroom. Getting shot or even killed over a stereo you can replace via Best Buy is just dumb.
    From the bedroom dial 911 immediately (always keep a phone in your sleeping quarters!) and alet them to the issue, tell them you are armed and your location...and STAY ON THE LINE with them as they respond. Stay quiet and do nothing else but focus on all points of possible entry as in the door.
    If Mr. BG decides to come into the bedroom then blast him. Otherwise wait for the cops and don't go trying to bust BGs like Tyne Daly from Cagney & Lacey.
    Oh, and don't try talking to fools either. Tell them to STOP, DROP, and STAY PUT! That's all that's needed. They know they are the BG and don't need you to advise them of as much.
    If he/she/they won't and don't abide...then well they rolled the dice. Yahtzee!!!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

She apparently is not a DC member
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

^^ Indeed. Although this is pure speculation, I have a feeling this is exactly what happened:

1) Hears a strange noise, strange enough to arm herself.
    2) Encounters BG, tries to hold him at gunpoint
    3) Does not have the resolve to fire - did not think she would have to.
    4) BG grabs weapon

What would the proper response be? Either verify the noise by peeking around the corner and then retreating to the bedroom, or if not possible, BANG BANG BANG. This is EXACLTLY the logical reason behind castle doctrine-style laws. If someone is already in your home and they're obviously not there to say hello, BANG! That's why you have a gun! Not to say "uhh please, stop what you're doing and please just don't move." They'll just grab your gun and shoot you with it.

Unless you are willing to USE IT, do not own a firearm for defensive purposes. IMO, but I think its a valid opinion.

VIP Member
    Having it taken is my (almost) worst nightmare. Besides never presenting unless you intend to use it, a sd training program can teach to defend against disarms and to recover a weapon. Both are (in theory and in the classroom) somewhat easier to do than one would expect. Real world, I hope I never find out.

Also, good reason for a bug--though I think they are impractical for most non le situations.

jfl
    Buying a guitar doesn't make you a musician !!!
    Buying a gun and not going through some training, even minimal will result in this kind of situation.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Sponsored Links