Another shot while fleeing

This is a discussion on Another shot while fleeing within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Star Community Newspapers Burglary suspect shot during crime By Jim Kilpatrick, Satff Writer (Created: Friday, February 13, 2009 12:18 PM CST) Kevyn Thomas, a 25-year-old ...

VIP Member

Star Community Newspapers

Burglary suspect shot during crime

By Jim Kilpatrick, Satff Writer
    (Created: Friday, February 13, 2009 12:18 PM CST)

Kevyn Thomas, a 25-year-old resident of Farmers Branch, has been charged with burglary of a motor vehicle, evading arrest and unauthorized use of a motor vehicle. Thomas is presently in custody, pending arraignment by a magistrate.

According to Capt. Steve Thomas at about 12:31 a.m. Feb. 13 a resident in the 1300 block of Westchester heard his residential alarm activate for no apparent reason.

The resident armed himself, and began a search of his home, finally discovering the suspect in the attached garage.

Thomas fled and refused to stop after the homeowner told him to “freeze.” The homeowner fired one 9-mm round, striking Thomas in the left calf.

Thomas ran from the scene and jumped into a silver van.

“Coppell officers were able to locate the van and attempted to initiate a traffic stop,” Capt. Thomas said. “The defendant would not comply and continued to flee from the officers until striking a brick wall at Interstate 35E and the west service road at Valwood Road in Farmers Branch.”

Following a brief foot pursuit, the subject was apprehended and transported to Parkland Hospital, where he was treated for his injuries and subsequently released to the Coppell Police Department.

No bond has been set at this time.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Got a bad guy, too bad the round wasn't higher.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Hope the homeowner doesn't suffer any consequences. Too bad it wasn't COM.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Hope the homeowner doesn't get in trouble for shooting the fleeing suspect...
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you really need it, you will need it really fast. ALWAYS one in the chamber.
    Nuf said!

What is it about robbers and thieves, and midnight in Texas? You'd thing the one would avoid the other at all costs. They don't seem to be learning.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I've heard it said from LE that its not uncommon for a suspect to jerk and turn quite quickly at the same moment that you fire. So don't think that every shot in the back is a purposeful shot at a fleeing suspect.

I'll bet you what happened is that the suspect made a quick maneuver (to try to get out of there), but obviously when someone tells you to freeze, and you move, it doesn't look good. So the homeowner opened fire, justifiably.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    I've heard it said from LE that its not uncommon for a suspect to jerk and turn quite quickly at the same moment that you fire. So don't think that every shot in the back is a purposeful shot at a fleeing suspect.

I'll bet you what happened is that the suspect made a quick maneuver (to try to get out of there), but obviously when someone tells you to freeze, and you move, it doesn't look good. So the homeowner opened fire, justifiably.
    I agree, the standard of proof ought to be very high for a prosecutor when the party that was shot was the aggressor. I can't guarantee the safety of an intruder I'm holding at gun point, particularly if he makes a sudden move (of course I'm not necessarily going to shout a warning if I can't tell whether or not he's armed).

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    What is it about robbers and thieves, and midnight in Texas? You'd thing the one would avoid the other at all costs. They don't seem to be learning.
    If they were smart enough to learn, they would choose another line of work ... or they wouldn't get caught
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by cv7713 View Post
    Hope the homeowner doesn't get in trouble for shooting the fleeing suspect...
    0031hrs, attached garage, in Texas. Shouldn't be a problem.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    0031hrs, attached garage, in Texas. Shouldn't be a problem.
    It won't be a problem. I for one am glad. I live about 5 miles north of this incident.

With ammo in short supply, it might have saved me a round, although with the turn around in the justice department I doubt it.

That reminds me, I need to make sure the shotgun is loaded....
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Why do people do stuff like yell, "freeze"? If he's in your house, and he's not supposed to be in your house, and (at common law as codified in Virginia) it's after dark (hence "burglary" rather than "trespassing"), shoot first and yell "freeze" later. (A mere "home intrusion" does not automatically justify shooting, and there is generally no right to use deadly force merely to protect property. Check on the laws where you live.)

In this case, there's no question that the dude was trying to escape and represented no threat to the homeowner. I also wonder about the fact that the dude was in a garage, where the presumption about breaking into a "dwelling house" where people might be sleeping, and thus evidencing a willingness to kill, might not apply. I noticed the use of the word, "attached", which clearly indicates a sensitivity to that issue.

So the homeowner will probably not be charged with a crime, but has laid himself open to the possibility. At least he shot the guy in the leg, that's just a wounding - if he'd shot and missed, it could be construed as attempted murder (there's a touch of legal irony there - the assumption being that if the dude was hit in the leg, that nonlethal shot was what was intended).

But the consequences of making some kind of statement, racking a slide or pump action, anything like that, could easily be death for the homeowner. There's a dude out there somewhere who won't start running, he'll drop to the ground, find cover, and start shooting in the direction the noise came from.

The tendency is to feel invulnerable when armed, but the bad guy may (regardless of any feelings in the matter) actually be a well trained killer, someone who can easily thwart those feelings of invulnerability. Why give him the opportunity to demonstrate his skills?

"It isn't always being fast, or even accurate that counts; it's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing; they blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger...I won't." - John Bernard Books played by John Wayne in "The Shootist", explaining how the old gunfighter had managed to live so long.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

They aren't learning anywhere, are they? Simply put, it doesn't happen often enough to make the risk unworthwhile given the potential rewards. Burglars, like everyone else, think that "it" won't happen to them. Even if they do get shot, there isn't much chance they will die. If they are shot and survive, then they have a battle scar and bragging rights.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Links