Officer Bryan Lawrence nominated for award

Officer Bryan Lawrence nominated for award

This is a discussion on Officer Bryan Lawrence nominated for award within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Beginning Sunday, you will be able to go on line and cast electronic ballots for the nominees. If you know of someone you think is ...

Thread: Officer Bryan Lawrence nominated for award

VIP Member

Thumbs up Officer Bryan Lawrence nominated for award

Beginning Sunday, you will be able to go on line and cast electronic ballots for the nominees.

If you know of someone you think is more deserving, by all means vote that way.

However, if you feel that an off-duty LEO who responds to a call and is critically injured and paralyzed for life deserves your vote, Officer Lawrence sure could use the help.

Injured Roanoke police officer nominated for award - Roanoke.com

Injured Roanoke police officer nominated for award
    By Neil Harvey | The Roanoke Times

Roanoke police Officer Bryan Lawrence -- who inspired a wave of public response last year after he was injured and paralyzed in the line of duty -- has been nominated for a national award that carries a $10,000 prize.

The AMW All-Star Contest, sponsored by the program "America's Most Wanted" and by Sprint, recognizes first responders for special achievements.

"It's kind of a way of saying 'thank you' for the job they do every day, putting their lives on the line," Pat Dinota, one of the contest's producers, said by telephone Friday.

Beginning Sunday, voters will be able to go online and cast electronic ballots for the nominees.

Finalists will be selected each week for eight weeks, after which voters will pick one of the eight finalists for the grand prize -- a $10,000 check presented by "America's Most Wanted" host John Walsh on May 16 at the NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race in Charlotte, N.C.

Although it remains unknown how many people might have nominated Lawrence for the award, one of them is Robert Matt.

He moved to Roanoke from Virginia Beach in May, the same month Lawrence was attacked, and said as a newcomer he found the incident tragic but also inspiring.

"I was really touched by the outpouring of support, especially the motorcycle run," Matt said. "It's an awesome story all around. What we need to do now is get the word out, spread awareness and get some votes."

The winner of last year's contest was Deputy Martin Lawing, from Burke County, N.C., who in 2007 was critically injured and paralyzed when he was shot in the neck during a police standoff.

For more information about the AMW All-Star Contest, go to AMW.com | AMW All-Star Home.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

Thumbs up Officer Bryan Lawrence advances in contest

To any who helped by voting -- thanks.

Please continue your support starting April 16.

Injured Roanoke officer is finalist for TV show's prize - Roanoke.com

Injured Roanoke officer is finalist for TV show's prize
    By Neil Harvey | The Roanoke Times

On Monday, the producers of the television show "America's Most Wanted" announced the first-round finalist in their national AMW All-Star Contest -- Roanoke police Officer Bryan Lawrence.
    The contest recognizes first responders for special achievements and carries a $10,000 prize for the top vote-getter.

Lawrence, who was injured and paralyzed last year in the line of duty, received more votes than any of the other 68 nominees.

Over the next several weeks, seven more finalists will be selected and, starting April 16, the eight finalists will be pared down to one winner by online votes. The winner will receive a check presented by "America's Most Wanted" host John Walsh at the NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race in Charlotte, N.C.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Missed this first time around: please repost or bump it up on April 16 - thanks!
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

VIP Member

Thumbs up the person in the blue uniform was a human, was a person

Teen to serve 15 years in attack on officer - Roanoke.com

Teen to serve 15 years in attack on officer
    William Steele Jr. said he regrets injuring Bryan Lawrence. The officer's son wished Steele a better life.
    By Mike Allen
    981-3236

Officer Bryan Lawrence had a probation officer read aloud a poem during the sentencing for the 19-year-old who broke his neck and left him partially paralyzed.

The poem addressed "the pain that I endure each day, the shame I'm caused to bear." Then it described the tortures Jesus endured before dying on the cross: "If he forgives me, all I've done, then I must do the same."

Lawrence did not testify during Monday's hearing. Instead, he let the poem serve as his words to the judge and to William Steele Jr., the man convicted of paralyzing him.

Sentencing guidelines in Steele's case recommended that he spend about 10 years in prison for the aggravated malicious wounding that broke Lawrence's neck. Roanoke prosecutor Bill Braxton argued that punishment wasn't harsh enough, calling instead for 25 years of active time.

Roanoke Circuit Court Judge Clifford Weckstein did neither. He gave Steele a life sentence, suspended after 15 years in a penitentiary. When Steele is released after his active sentence is done, he'll be on probation essentially for the rest of his life, with the remainder of the life sentence hanging over him.

Lawrence, 46, arrived at the courthouse in a wheelchair, accompanied by his wife, son and daughter-in-law. He used a walker to make his way slowly into the courtroom as his wife helped hold him up.

He expects to continue with physical therapy, though whether he will ever be able to walk unaided or regain full use of his arms remains an open question.

Outside the courtroom, he said he was satisfied with Steele's punishment. "That poem that was written was sincere about how we feel," he said. "Fifteen years is going to be hard for a young man."

On the night of May 10, as Lawrence worked off-duty in full uniform at Berglund Chevrolet on Williamson Road, he heard a call about an assault on a woman at the nearby Go Mart. He helped search for the suspect and found Dantonio Foster Sr. walking along Huntington Boulevard Northwest, accompanied by Steele.

Foster ran from Lawrence, who gave chase. Foster tripped and the officer caught up with him, pinning him to the ground and grabbing his arm to cuff him. That's when Steele kicked Lawrence in the forehead, breaking his neck, injuring his spinal cord and leaving him disabled.

Steele's foster mother, Sonya Thomas, has said that she had never heard of Foster before the attack on Lawrence. She said Steele "just met him in the streets."

Foster ultimately was sentenced to one year and 10 months for the assault that started the incident.

At Steele's hearing Monday in Roanoke Circuit Court, he apologized profusely to Lawrence and his family, just as he did at his Feb. 4 trial.

"I never meant for you to go through the needless pain that I caused," he said. "It takes a lot for you to forgive me. ... I just want to say thank you for accepting my apology."

As Weckstein prepared to punish Steele, he said he did not doubt that Steele's apology was sincere, nor did he doubt that the crime was malicious. "It didn't particularly enter in your head, Mr. Steele, that the person in the blue uniform was a human, was a person."

Weckstein added, though, that in crafting the sentence he also had to consider "how not to make a 19-year-old become simply a prison-hardened criminal."

Once the hearing ended, as Brenda Lawrence helped her husband struggle to his feet, defense attorney Jimmy Turk walked over to speak to them. He told them that he wished them good luck.

As he started to walk way, Robert Lawrence, the officer's son, called to Turk and asked him to come back. When Turk did, Lawrence's son had a message for the attorney to pass along to his client: "Tell him we wish him a better life."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links