GOOD: Woman Defends Herself and Child - Tyler, TX

This is a discussion on GOOD: Woman Defends Herself and Child - Tyler, TX within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Tyler Paper - Tyler Morning Telegraph A Tyler woman successfully defended her property and children from would-be burglars by shooting at and hitting one of ...

Thread: GOOD: Woman Defends Herself and Child - Tyler, TX

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

GOOD: Woman Defends Herself and Child - Tyler, TX

Tyler Paper - Tyler Morning Telegraph

A Tyler woman successfully defended her property and children from would-be burglars by shooting at and hitting one of them through her bedroom door while she was locked inside, police said this morning.

Police responded to the report of a burglary in progress at the Southwest Pines Apartments shortly after 9 p.m. Sunday. The resident, a 31-year-old woman, said someone was in her apartment and she was locked in her bedroom with her children, police said in a prepared statement. The suspects, who entered the locked back door, attempted to get into the locked bedroom, and the victim shot through her bedroom door.

Police arrived and a 14-year-old boy was detained for questioning.

A few minutes later, officers received information that a black male near the front of the apartment complex was advising he had been shot. Other officers responded to this location and found another 14-year-old boy who had been shot in the left jaw. Fire and EMS personnel arrived and took over the care of the boy, who was transported to East Texas Medical Center.

The investigation revealed that three males had entered the apartment to burglarize it, and one of them was shot, police said. The age of the third suspect was not revealed by police. The suspect who was shot was admitted to ETMC awaiting surgery. He was listed in good condition before dawn today, according to a police statement. He is under arrest for residential burglary.

No other charges have been filed at this time, and the investigation continues, police said.
    Kind of vague, is the story saying that the 14 y/o's were the home invaders? Seems that way to me. Good on her for being prepared and doing what needed to be done.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    I have a problem with the "shooting thru the door" thing but understand why some, esp. a woman alone with kids, would do that. As for myself and for legal reasons as well I'd want to see my target before pulling the trigger. It could have been the cop or neighbor or? coming to my rescue, just never know.

I do like the shot to the jaw tho. 14 it too young to have killed but a great scar for every to be reminded of what stupid can do.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Unfortunately, the little scumbag will probably be proud of his 'battle scar' and use it to up his street cred with his thug friends.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

If someone is attacking another, age is irrelevant. If someone is trying to force their way thru the door, it ain't the cops/neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    If someone is attacking another, age is irrelevant. If someone is trying to force their way thru the door, it ain't the cops/neighbors.
    I agree, if it was an LEO he would be anouncing rather loudly whatever PD or Sheriffs office he was from, I would think nieghbors would be yelling the woman's name asking if she was alright.

Try breaking through my door without yelling who you are, your getting either 40 S&W or 12 gauge rounds coming at you. (Perfectly legal here in NC)
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Good for her ,the thugs picked the right house,had it been my house they wouldn't of got off so lucky
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I do like the shot to the jaw tho. 14 it too young to have killed but a great scar for every to be reminded of what stupid can do.
    Nope, if your old enough to do the crime you deserve whatever you get. They knew she was in they bedroom. They weren't trying to get in so she could read them a bedtime story.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    They weren't trying to get in so she could read them a bedtime story.

Good shoot -- IMHO
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I just hope that they are not part of a gang. This lady might be looking over her shoulder for awhile.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    I have a problem with the "shooting thru the door" thing but understand why some, esp. a woman alone with kids, would do that. As for myself and for legal reasons as well I'd want to see my target before pulling the trigger. It could have been the cop or neighbor or? coming to my rescue, just never know.

I don't have that problem, woman with kids.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

This is in my stomping grounds. She was yelling at them through the door to leave and that she had called the police yet they kept forcing the door. These 14 year olds were part of a west side gang. They had broken into these apartments before.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    This is in my stomping grounds. She was yelling at them through the door to leave and that she had called the police yet they kept forcing the door. These 14 year olds were part of a west side gang. They had broken into these apartments before.
    She might consider moving then eh? I think she did what she had to do and she got the job done. She and her kids are safe... for now.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Links