UGLY: Father Shoots Son To Protect Wife - Oak Grove, AL

This is a discussion on UGLY: Father Shoots Son To Protect Wife - Oak Grove, AL within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Oak Grove, Alabama man shoots son - al.com An Oak Grove man shot his son late Wednesday after authorities say the son attacked his mother ...

Thread: UGLY: Father Shoots Son To Protect Wife - Oak Grove, AL

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Oak Grove, Alabama man shoots son - al.com

An Oak Grove man shot his son late Wednesday after authorities say the son attacked his mother with a broomstick and then stabbed his girlfriend.

Colter Roberts, 21, was in stable condition at UAB Hospital with two wounds from his father's 12-gauge shotgun, said Jefferson County sheriff's spokesman Lt. Randy Christian.

Deputies received a 911 hang-up call from a home on Camp Oliver Road just before 11:30 p.m. Wednesday.

The dispatcher tried to call the number but got no answer. While deputies were en route, someone called back, screaming that a father had to shoot his son who was attacking the family, Christian said.

Investigators say Colter Roberts had first attacked his 48-year-old mother with his fists and then beat her with the broomstick. He then went after his 30-year-old girlfriend with a knife.

Colter Roberts' 7-year-old sister was in the home, but not injured, Christian said.

Colter Roberts then ran from the kitchen into a hallway with a knife, screaming that he was going to kill everyone in the house. He also used the knife to slash the walls of the hallway and headed into the bedroom where his father was sleeping.

Van Roberts, 48, tried to talk to his son, but told police his efforts were unsuccessful. He described his son as "a madman running at him with a knife, screaming," Christian said.

Van Roberts grabbed his shotgun and warned his son, but the son failed to drop the knife. Van Roberts fired one shot, striking his son in the arm.

Colter Roberts continued with the attack, and his father fired another shot, striking him in the torso, Christian said. Colter Roberts has a history of drug abuse and violence, Christian said.

Information on the incident will be given to the Bessemer Cutoff district attorney's office for review, but Christian said Van Roberts wasn't arrested and it appears to be a clear case of self-defense.
    Wow, what a tough situation. How was dad still sleeping while his wife was being beaten and the girl stabbed? Must be a sound sleeper. Must tear one's heart in two knowing that the right thing to do is to shoot your own son.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

VIP Member
    That is a tough call to make for a father, I'm glad it wasn't me, and trust it'll never be me.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

that is pretty rough for this family. since the perp is still alive the nightmare will still continue. the son survive a torso shot with a 12 shotgun ... must be birdshot.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    wow...what a horrible situation to be in. i also wonder how he was still sleeping?? there had to be a ton of commotion...
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

The family had evidently lost control of that boy a long time ago. My bet is the state will patch the kid up and he'll be on the street, doing the same type crap in six months.
    oldogy

That kids gonna pull that crap on somebody thats got more than birdshot in his gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I'm surprised he survived a torso shot from a shotgun. Even a load of birdshot at point blank range is going to do a lot of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I'm surprised he survived a torso shot from a shotgun. Even a load of birdshot at point blank range is going to do a lot of damage.
    If it woulda been 00buck he would more than likely be in the coroners,I've shot squirrels and rabbits fairly close and when you skin them pellets fall out of the fat under the fur were talking 1/4" to 2" penetration,no thanks I'll keep buckshot in mine
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post

Many years ago, one of my great-aunts had my father load a couple on low brass 12 ga shells with rock salt to use on some sneaking around her farm.

She was chagrined when she killed a prowler from about two feet.

He was trying to break in the back door. Broken glass and salt did the job.

No charges filed. Then again that was in the '40s.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    What a horrible situation, I'd bet that was hard for the father. A last resort though, when nothing else worked.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Wow, thats tough.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    Wow, thats tough.
    +1

I'll add that this case is truly UGLY.

A 21 y/o with impulse control/anger management issues and a 30 y/o GF... This wasn't a surprise to anyone. A dysfunctional couple and the fight probably revolved around their dysfunctionality.

Sponsored Links