Why hospitals should not be "Unarmed Victim Zones"

This is a discussion on Why hospitals should not be "Unarmed Victim Zones" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Four dead in shooting spree in upstate New York counties - CNN.com Four dead in shooting spree in upstate New York counties (CNN) -- A ...

Thread: Why hospitals should not be "Unarmed Victim Zones"

VIP Member

Thumbs down Why hospitals should not be "Unarmed Victim Zones"

Four dead in shooting spree in upstate New York counties - CNN.com

Four dead in shooting spree in upstate New York counties

(CNN) -- A former hospital worker systematically shot and killed four people in upstate New York on Saturday, authorities in two counties said.

Frank Garcia, 34, was arrested Saturday afternoon. Garcia knew all four victims, police said, but they didn't reveal details about the relationships.

"The individuals who were shot were known to the suspect. It was not necessarily a random act," Monroe County Sheriff Patrick O'Flynn said.

The first two victims -- Mary Sillman, 23, and Randall Norman, 41 -- were fatally shot before 5 a.m. at Lakeside Memorial Hospital in Brockport, where Garcia was once employed, O'Flynn said. Another woman was wounded and is undergoing treatment at a nearby hospital, he said.

The second shooting happened at a house in nearby Ontario County on Saturday afternoon.

Christopher Glatz, 45, and his wife, Kim, 38, were killed "execution-style" while their two teenagers were in the suburban Rochester home, Ontario County Sheriff Philip Povero said.

The teens were not wounded, but it is unclear whether they witnessed the event.

Povero said neighbors reported Garcia went door-to-door looking for the Glatzes' home.

"He was in fact looking for the residence," Povero said. "He was saying different things to different people, but he was clearly looking for that home."

Ballistic evidence has connected the two crime scenes, Povero said. Investigators found the matching brass cartridges from a pistol found on Garcia when he was arrested, he said.

Garcia was arrested at a restaurant Saturday afternoon, CNN affiliate R-News in Rochester reported.

Garcia was to be arraigned Saturday night in Monroe County, where the first shootings occurred, on two counts of first-degree murder and one count of attempted murder in the second degree, O'Flynn said.

Sillman was a certified nursing assistant at Lakeside's long-term care center, hospital officials said.

"During Mary's brief time within the system, those who worked closest with Mary described her as warm, kind and compassionate toward the residents of Lakeside Beikirch Care Center," Lakeside interim CEO Michael Stapleton said in a statement.

Garcia likely will face similar charges in Ontario County, Povero said.

"This certainly speaks to a tragedy that is enormous, not only the taking of the lives that were taken, but the people that were left behind, the person in Brockport and the two teenage children who were present when their mother was systematically murdered," Povero said.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I think we should definately be able to carry into a hospital, we may needto defend ourselves there just as anywhere else.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I have stated before that probably the most dangerous place I go on a regular basis is the hospital. BGs end up in ERs and hospitals. I doubt they follow the rules there anymore than they do anyplace else.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I work at a hospital and it kills me that I have to leave my weapon locked in a safe in my car. It is probably me most unsafe place you can visit. I can tell you all kinds of stories of things that have occurred.
    The best preventative medicine is superior fire power.

They are not illegal to carry into hospitals here.
    As tough as NY is on guns, there are few restrictions on where to carry concealed (knock on wood).

Quote Originally Posted by NYcarry View Post
    They are not illegal to carry into hospitals here.
    As tough as NY is on guns, there are few restrictions on where to carry concealed (knock on wood).
    And there you have it.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    I have stated before that probably the most dangerous place I go on a regular basis is the hospital. BGs end up in ERs and hospitals. I doubt they follow the rules there anymore than they do anyplace else.
    Indeed. We should be armed wherever and whenever.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Hospitals in Oklahoma are not illegal as such for licensed concealed carry -- but doctors and hospital administrators are often the type who think like anti-gunners and post their places like crazy. At any rate, if one takes the "concealed means concealed" approach, the only problem you might ever have is if you are "made" and someone wants to make an issue out of it -- but basically all they can really do is ask you to leave, and then you better do so. I have carried into hospitals many times and never had any problem at all. Of course, I conceal very well and am very confident of my ability to do so. I have talked with cops and other security in the hospital while armed and they never suspected a thing (or if they did, said nothing). By the way, for those who wonder if Oklahoma is a state where you must notify LEO if you are armed -- Yes, but only if you are being detained on official police business, not shooting the breeze with them.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Links