BAD -- Another College

BAD -- Another College

This is a discussion on BAD -- Another College within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The Associated Press: Seton Hill University student shot after standoff Seton Hill University student shot after standoff 1 hour ago GREENSBURG, Pa. (AP) Police ...

Thread: BAD -- Another College

VIP Member

BAD -- Another College

The Associated Press: Seton Hill University student shot after standoff

Seton Hill University student shot after standoff
    1 hour ago

GREENSBURG, Pa. (AP) Police say a Seton Hill University student has been killed by police after a standoff at a residence in western Pennsylvania.

Police in Greensburg say they received a call early Sunday indicating 22-year-old Joseph Frederick Briggs had threatened to harm himself and his roommates.

Police say three men and a woman fled the home after Briggs threatened them with a gun. He then fired toward the officers, hitting parked cars and a house.

Several residences were evacuated and campus buildings were locked down.

Police say Briggs was heavily intoxicated and stayed inside the barricaded home for about three hours. Authorities say he was later fatally shot by police.

Seton Hill is a 2,000-student Catholic liberal arts university, about 35 miles from Pittsburgh.
    More fodder for the Anti
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

More

Seton Hill University Student Killed After Standoff - News Story - WPXI Pittsburgh

Seton Hill University Student Killed After Standoff
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 updated: 4:14 pm EST February 15, 2009

GREENSBURG, Pa. -- A Seton Hill University student was killed following a three-hour standoff early Sunday in Greensburg.

Greensburg police were called to the 400 block of Concord Avenue about 4 a.m. for a report of a man threatening himself and his roommates.

That man was later identified as Joseph Briggs, 22. Officers arriving on scene discovered that Briggs was armed and barricaded inside his house.

Police report that during the standoff Briggs fired between 30-40 shots over a three hour period, hitting parked cars and at least one other residence.

A witness said Briggs shouted statements at the police such as, "I'm not going to jail."

Briggs refused to give himself up and he was eventually shot by police while aiming a long-barrelled weapon out of a window.

The Westmoreland County Coroner pronounced Briggs dead at the scene.

A preliminary investigation by the state police revealed that Briggs may have been heavily intoxicated at the time of the incident.

His roommates said that he may have been having personal problems with regard to a relationship.

An anonymous source reported that Briggs was at one time a member of the Seton Hill University football team.

Because of the proximity to the university's campus, students were asked to stay in place and campus buildings were locked down.

According to Seton Hill administrators, the E-2 Campus system was used to to communicate the seriousness of the situation to students on campus.

As soon as the situation was secure, the lockdown and alert were lifted.

Counseling services are available for students and members of the Seton Hill community.

A Mass will be held in the Saint Joseph Chapel at 7:00 p.m. this evening.

Stay with Channel 11 News for the latest on this developing story.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Another college or another college student who apparently was not on the campus? Wonder if there is a pychological track record...

Rick

Dumb, very dumb. This seems a case of suicide by cop.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Well, this was just 20 miles down road from from me. It's frankly a predicted outcome as Seton Hill (see 10 Reasons Seton Hill Doesn't Need a Football Team) sought to grow. The University was only made coed in 2002. The new football program wasn't able to attract substantial talent, and really only garnered some Plaxico wanna-be's. My kids do piano competitions there, and it's frankly run downhill. A story in the Greensburg, PA Tribune-Review indicates the shooter returned home from a Pittsburgh area strip-club. He lived off-campus.

Founded by the Sisters of Charity, I think the University needs to "keep it real" with a few more rulers on knuckles for the errant members of the student body.
    Still Clingin'

Despite the facts not being conducive to their case, the antis will quickly use this, as it contains the word "college" and "gun" to further support their pro-crime cause of no carry on campus, let alone general 2A on campus.

Links