GOOD -- Students with a brain

This is a discussion on GOOD -- Students with a brain within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Students Aim for Gun Rights on Campus - washingtonpost.com Students Aim for Gun Rights on Campus Group Advocates for Concealed Weapons to Protect Against College ...

VIP Member

Students Aim for Gun Rights on Campus - washingtonpost.com

Students Aim for Gun Rights on Campus
    Group Advocates for Concealed Weapons to Protect Against College Shootings

By Brigid Schulte
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Sunday, February 15, 2009; Page C05

HARRISONBURG, Va., Feb. 14 -- Kyle Smith agreed to play the bad guy.

In a scenario eerily designed to imitate the Virginia Tech massacre, when a lone gunman shot and killed 32 people in the nine minutes it took for campus police to respond, Smith burst into a classroom here Saturday, his right index finger pointed as if it were a gun drawn, and immediately "shot" the teacher between the eyes.

"You people treated me wrong," the freshman yelled, a little sheepishly. "I just can't take it anymore."

As the four students in the room screamed, hit the floor and crouched under desks, he methodically fired five more shots with his finger and "killed" them all. In 23 seconds, it was over.

"You're all dead," Shawn Deehan, a gun rights advocate from GunRightsWeek.org, told the jeans-clad James Madison University students crumpled on the floor and waiting for his cue that the reenactment was over. "A great rate of response from law enforcement is six minutes. Six minutes. If you don't care if you live or die, that's a suitable response. But if you're concerned about living another day, another minute, then that's too long."

Then Deehan reran the scenario the way he and other gun rights advocates would prefer: with the teacher and two students carrying concealed weapons.

Only Utah allows students and teachers to carry weapons on college campuses. Most other states leave it to the discretion of university administrators. And nearly all -- save Blue Ridge Community College in Virginia and Colorado State University -- have decreed that weapons on campus are a bad idea.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Most other states leave it to the discretion of university administrators.
    I'm not sure that "most" other states leave it to the discretion of the institutions. Both Kalifornia and Idaho outlaw guns on any campus.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears!

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybejim View Post
    I'm not sure that "most" other states leave it to the discretion of the institutions. Both Kalifornia and Idaho outlaw guns on any campus.
    A little nipicky don't you think?

Good article...but curious if this was school sanctioned or was this just this classroom?...

Rick

VIP Member
    I'm glad to live in Utah, I carry everyday I'm at UVU (Utah Valley Univ.) ASAIK only BYU doesn't allow guns (private univ.)
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    A little nipicky don't you think?

Good article...but curious if this was school sanctioned or was this just this classroom?...

Rick
    No, but probably a little unclear. I believe the majority of states outlaw guns on campus, rather than the other way around.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

This is NOT true.

California allows firearms on campus for faculty and students at state colleges and universities at the discretion of the school district. California law exempts NON faculty and NON students for permitted concealed carry at state colleges and universities. Thus, firearms are "not outlawed" at college and university campuses in California.

K-12 is verbotten on campus even with a permit unless you are LEO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    This is NOT true.

California allows firearms on campus for faculty and students at state colleges and universities at the discretion of the school district. California law exempts NON faculty and NON students for permitted concealed carry at state colleges and universities. Thus, firearms are "not outlawed" at college and university campuses in California.

K-12 is verbotten on campus even with a permit unless you are LEO.
    I was thinking of K-12, my mistake, but I wouldn't bet my liberty or carry permit on non faculty/student being permitted.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

Same in Florida. Firearms are banned by statute, not just school policy. The only people (legally) armed on my campus is about a 9 man police force. While its nice to know that they're there, we are talking about a campus of nearly 50,000 students - that doesn't even include faculty and other staff!

Links