Assault by auto 1/2; LEO 1

This is a discussion on Assault by auto 1/2; LEO 1 within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Fox 44 - Burlington and Plattsburgh News, Weather and Sports - Fox44.net | Officer Involved Shooting Sends Man to Hospital Michael Henrich Officer Involved Shooting ...

VIP Member

Fox 44 - Burlington and Plattsburgh News, Weather and Sports - Fox44.net | Officer Involved Shooting Sends Man to Hospital

Michael Henrich
    Officer Involved Shooting Sends Man to Hospital

Posted: Feb 14, 2009 10:54 PM EST

Updated: Feb 14, 2009 10:54 PM EST

A police-involved shooting lands an officer and another man in the hospital. Police say the officer, Robert Barrows, will be okay he was treated at the hospital and released Friday. Kelley O'Brien -- the man the officer shot -- was still in the hospital Saturday night, in fair condition.

Police say Officer Robert Barrows fired his gun as O'Brien tried to run him over with a car.

Police battled the dark, combing the ground of this Citgo station on route 7 in Shelburne, Vermont, searching for evidence. Earlier in the evening a loud noise interrupted Kris Enstrom's work in her floral shop next door.

"I was coming into the front room and I heard a gunshot," Enstrom said.

Shelburne Police say around 6:15 they got a call about an erratic driver going north on route 7. When an officer caught up with the car at the Citgo station, police say, O'Brien -- alone inside the vehicle -- refused to cooperate.

According to Shelburne Police Chief James Warden the man, "threw the car in reverse, hit a post by the gas pump, and then proceeded to drive at the police officer head-on to him."

Warden says the car hit Barrows, injuring his arm, but not before the officer shot through the car's windshield.

Still, Warden says O'Brien sped away, crashing into another car, before a flat tire forced him to stop in the village center.

An ambulance brought O'Brien to Fletcher Allen Health Care, in police custody.

Shelburne Police say Vermont State Police will lead the investigation -- that's standard procedure for shootings that involve local police.
    OK, which is dumber, 1) aiming a gun at a LEO, or 2) Trying to drive over a LEO?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    i'll take #2...
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

#2 cars are slower and easier to avoid.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Links